None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's a great question and I never really thought about it.

While I have been struggling with my denomination, I do love my pastor. He truly has a heart for the Lord.

I know about what he is paid and it is not enough for what he does, but that's not going to stop him from doing what he called to do.
He won't use the credit card he is provided for gas because he doesn't trust himself to keep track of personal vs church mileage. The church council told him to consider it all church mileage and use it. He won't.

The problem with our pastor is that he rarely says no. He is broke due to overly needy and immature family, in laws, congregants that consider him Uncle Sugar and put the bite on him for everything.
I truly think that his generosity breeds immaturity and he winds up being an enabler. I don't know of another person so surrounded by immature adults...it's because he always plays the grown up in the room.
If he made twice what he makes now....he'd still be broke.

• Prayers
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's a great question and I never really thought about it.

While I have been struggling with my denomination, I do love my pastor. He truly has a heart for the Lord.

I know about what he is paid and it is not enough for what he does, but that's not going to stop him from doing what he called to do.
He won't use the credit card he is provided for gas because he doesn't trust himself to keep track of personal vs church mileage. The church council told him to consider it all church mileage and use it. He won't.

The problem with our pastor is that he rarely says no. He is broke due to overly needy and immature family, in laws, congregants that consider him Uncle Sugar and put the bite on him for everything.
I truly think that his generosity breeds immaturity and he winds up being an enabler. I don't know of another person so surrounded by immature adults...it's because he always plays the grown up in the room.
If he made twice what he makes now....he'd still be broke.

Maybe he needs how to learn to say, "no". That might help him financially, and the mature people around him to grow up.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm fine with a pastor being paid as long as it so much that he's living in luxury. Though there are some that say a pastor shouldn't be paid at all. Which makes little sense since they have bills to pay just like the church goers do. God doesn't just magically pay their bills because their pastors. Not that God isn't capable of doing that of course. I've always said if someone doesn't want a pastor to be paid then take over for the pastor to a year with no pay and let us know how you feel about being paid.

• Agree
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe he needs how to learn to say, "no". That might help him financially, and the mature people around him to grow up.

Agreed.
It's a subject that comes up monthly with him. It's not wise to spoon feed adults, but I just think he can't say no.
I've known him to by a car for an adult sibling (not disabled), pay for groceries for an adult child and spouse (not unemployed or poor), pay cell phone bills for congregants, etc.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm fine with a pastor being paid as long as it so much that he's living in luxury. Though there are some that say a pastor shouldn't be paid at all. Which makes little sense since they have bills to pay just like the church goers do. God doesn't just magically pay their bills because their pastors. Not that God isn't capable of doing that of course. I've always said if someone doesn't want a pastor to be paid then take over for the pastor to a year with no pay and let us know how you feel about being paid.

His pay should be the realm of what a professional would make in the area. He's got a master's degree, in many cases, or even a doctorate. That's a lot of time and money invested. . .

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Romans 12:2…be transformed…
Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,264,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
His pay should be the realm of what a professional would make in the area. He's got a master's degree, in many cases, or even a doctorate. That's a lot of time and money invested. . .
I agree of course taking into consideration the location and size of the congregation. Like inner city, rural and/or small or large membership.

Personally I just like everything to be transparent and their salary set by board members.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't like it, unless they publish everyone's salary.

They publish it in the report at the meeting for those who attend. The reports are then collected at the end of the meeting.

Probably 20 people attend.

The way I see it, the congregation are the "employers" in a sense. They should know the salaries paid.

What do you mean by everyone's salary...like mine?

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All paid staff of our Congregation have their salary and benefit packages published in the annual budget that the members of the Congregation vote on. That is about as transparent as one gets. I would say we pay very well and more than most for our clerical staff but I am not necessarily in love with the idea that a Pastor ought to consider his/her position in the Church as a career rather than a vocation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
They publish it in the report at the meeting for those who attend. The reports are then collected at the end of the meeting.

Probably 20 people attend.

The way I see it, the congregation are the "employers" in a sense. They should know the salaries paid.

What do you mean by everyone's salary...like mine?

This is why I am not a Congregationalist.

What I meant was that unless the church members want their salaries and giving records published, then the pastor's salary shouldn't be.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is why I am not a Congregationalist.

What I meant was that unless the church members want their salaries and giving records published, then the pastor's salary shouldn't be.

I kind of see that, but the difference to me is that the congregation pays the salary from tithes and offerings, just like all of the expenditures listed in the business meeting.
And published is in the business report twice per year and then they are collected. Hopefully that is honored and the 20 or so people have enough decency to shut up about it.

The congregation contributes nothing to my salary, so it's none of their concern.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I kind of see that, but the difference to me is that the congregation pays the salary from tithes and offerings, just like all of the expenditures listed in the business meeting.
And published is in the business report twice per year and then they are collected. Hopefully that is honored and the 20 or so people have enough decency to shut up about it.

The congregation contributes nothing to my salary, so it's none of their concern.

The staff salaries can be clumped together, as a way to avoid being indiscrete.

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
None
✟30,626.00
Country
Zimbabwe
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The staff salaries can be clumped together, as a way to avoid being indiscrete.

That would make sense, but no staff to speak of...other than pastor.
Pastor's wife and daughter lead worship...free.
Volunteers clean the church, repair and upkeep grounds and clerk.
Outside accountant paid for bookkeeping.

Frankly I'm embarrassed how little the church pays him.

Upvote 0