Partial Preterist Only How much OT/NT prophecy [as well as Revelation] do Partial-Preterists view as fulfilled?

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
How much OT/NT prophecy do Partial-Preterists view as fulfilled?

For example, do they view Luke 21 as fulfilled in 70ad, as even some futurists maintain?
Thanks.

Some tidbits about Luke 21:

The Temple Discourse in Luke 21 (not the Olivet Discourse)
Posted on August 9, 2012 by The Orange Mailman
Luke 21 does not contain the Olivet Discourse

Jesus prophesied that the temple would be destroyed. Later in the evening, four disciples come privately and receive instruction concerning the Coming of the Son of Man and the End of the Age, but Jesus’ immediate response to the crowd recorded in Luke 21 did not occur on the Mount of Olives. It occurred publicly at the temple in the hearing of the crowds........
There you go. That means Matthew 24 is not the same thing as Luke 21. Luke 21 was inside the Temple in the morning. Jesus was sitting down inside a place called the "women's" court. He had to "look up' to see the poor old widow put money in the treasury which was located around the outside perimeter of that court.

Matthew 24 begins in the evening of that day while Jesus was LEAVING the temple and walking away. I have a great picture of the steps at the corner of that facility which were probably the ones that He walked down. That complex was quite awesome. They were at the start of a 20 minute walk down the temple mount, across the Kidron Valley and up to the mount called Olivet where He lodged. The geography remains the same today. That's why they call it the Olivet Discourse and not the Temple Discourse.

But this time while leaving the temple and walking away, it was just the disciples that made admiring compliments at the outside of the buildingS of the temple complex. Earlier in Luke there were some that were speaking of the temple from it's inerior, how it was adorned with noble stones and offerings. But when they reached the Olivet it was night. It occurred to some of the disciples that Jesus meant something much more serious than just those buildings of the temple complex. "There will not be left HERE one stone upon another. Not an island or mountain remaining in it's place, so the wicked will march across a broad plain of an earth.

These disciples were aware of the old DOTL prophecies that spoke of the earth staggering to and fro like a drunkard, swinging back and forth like a hammock. So when the gravity of this situation sunk in, four disciples came to Him in private. Peter and James and John and Andrew asked him privately. Tell us when will these things be and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the world. There were no rich people, no Pharisees and no poor old widows and no treasury on the mount of Olives that night.

Luke 21 is written in the architecture of a day of the Lord prophecy, it's split into thirds. A near-far prophecy. Jesus stops at verse 12: "but before all this, and skips back in time to the first century. It's similar to Isaiah 13.

Matthew 24 is written in the architecture of an apocalyptic prophecy. It never breaks the chronological order. Matthew 24/25 is all for our time, from WW1 and WW2, until right now. It's elementary Watson, you can find it. It's why Luke pulled the AofD out of chapter 21 and put it in chapter 17.
"And every day he was teaching in the temple,
but at night he went out and lodged on the mount called Olivet.

"And early in the morning all the people came to him in the temple to hear him.
--->"but at night he went out and lodged on the mount called Olivet.

Compare Luke's Gospel to that of Matthew if you want to understand the timing.

Jesus Foretells Destruction of the Temple (These subtitles are found in e-Sword.)

Luk 21:24  And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled. 
(Almost all Bible scholars agree that the first part of the verse above is about 70 AD. At the end of the verse we find a period of time known as “the times of the Gentiles”. In the verses that follow we find the future Second Coming of Christ.)

The Book of Matthew was addressed mainly to a Jewish audience. Jesus was telling the Jews of His time that something similar to 167 BC would happen during 70 AD. Not only did Antiochus desecrate the temple, but he also attacked the city killing thousands of Jews and stopped the temple sacrifices. The temple sacrifices would also stop in 70 AD, due to the destruction of the temple. Based on John 10:22, the Jews were well aware of this historical fulfillment of Daniel’s prophecy. Luke’s Gospel was written to more of a Gentile audience, so he spelled it out for them.

Matthew 24:15-16 and Luke 21:20-21 are clearly parallel accounts, because we have the exact same warning to flee from Judea to the mountains in the second verse of each Gospel.

Last edited:

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟793,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Depends on the partial preterist :)

If you were to draw a line, and at the left end is full complete, consistent futurism - and the right end is full and complete, consistent preterism, - most every Christian falls somewhere in between. and since there really is no such thing as a full, complete and consistent futurist, it's only the full preterist that does not occupy a place in between.

Just how close to the full preterist line can the partial preterist venture before going over?
I'm still searching for it.

Each time I think I'm as close to the line as one can get, I end up finding I can split that distance in half again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How much OT/NT prophecy do Partial-Preterists view as fulfilled?

I know right now, I am a partial preterist, albeit pretty close to full preterism. For I have not physically died yet, nor received my spiritual body yet, nor have appeared before Christ to receive what I have done in the body, good or bad. This is something for me, that has not yet been fulfilled.

Hebrews 9:27 just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive his due for the things done in the body, whether good or bad.

But I would argue that those who have died in Christ, and have been raised to heaven in a new spiritual body, are experiencing all the incredible blessings of scripture completely fulfilled.

So as of yet, still partial preterist, but when I physically die, full preterist :)

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But I would argue that those who have died in Christ, and have been raised to heaven in a new spiritual body, are experiencing all the incredible blessings of scripture completely fulfilled.

Have those "souls" now in heaven received their new bodies, or will it come at the Second Coming of Christ?

Rev_6:9 When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held.

1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have those "souls" now in heaven received their new bodies, or will it come at the Second Coming of Christ?

Rev_6:9 When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held.

1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

If Christ has not yet come, then the souls are still resting underneath the alter waiting to be avenged.

Revelation 6:10 They called out in a loud voice, “They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?

And Christ's prophecy against Jerusalem has not yet occurred

Matthew 23:35-36 And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Christ has not yet come, then the souls are still resting underneath the alter waiting to be avenged.

Revelation 6:10 They called out in a loud voice, “They called out in a loud voice, “How long, Sovereign Lord, holy and true, until you judge the inhabitants of the earth and avenge our blood?

And Christ's prophecy against Jerusalem has not yet occurred

Matthew 23:35-36 And so upon you will come all the righteous blood that has been shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berekiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. Truly I tell you, all this will come on this generation.

Are you missing all of the thousands or millions of Saints who died as martyrs, after 70 AD?

Have you ever read "Foxes Book of Martyrs"?

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you missing all of the thousands or millions of Saints who died as martyrs, after 70 AD?

No, I'm simply relying on the words of Christ. Christ held earthly old covenant Jerusalem responsible. He stated that their generation would responsible for the blood of ALL the prophets shed since the foundation of the world
Luke 11:50-51 Therefore this generation will be held responsible for the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the foundation of the world, 51 from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the sanctuary. Yes, I tell you, this generation will be held responsible for it all.

This was predicted in the Law of Moses
Deuteronomy 32:43 Rejoice, you nations, with his people,[e][f] for he will avenge the blood of his servants; he will take vengeance on his enemies and make atonement for his land and people.

Which is restated in revelation
Revelation 19:2 or true and just are his judgments. He has condemned the great prostitute who corrupted the earth by her adulteries. He has avenged on her the blood of his servants.”

Why do you think the 1st generation of Jews were held responsible for ALL of the saints and prophets that included many that they didn't kill didn't kill? Cain killed able, not the 1st century Jews. Did the 1st century Jews kill zechariah between the alter? I would argue because they killed Jesus.

Have you ever read "Foxes Book of Martyrs"?

No, I haven't. Looks like an interesting read though. I do not deny that their have been many Christians persecuted/killed after 70ad. I agree that there have been many since 70 ad. But using scripture to interpret scripture, we see that Jesus charges the 1st century Jews with the righteous blood shed.

Notice right after Babylon Falls in chapter 14, the dead in the Lord, from now on are blessed. They enter the rest from their works.
Revelation 14:13 Then I heard a voice from heaven say, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.“Yes,” says the Spirit, “they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.”

Hebrews 4:9-11 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,[e] just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm simply relying on the words of Christ. Christ held earthly old covenant Jerusalem responsible. He stated that their generation would responsible for the blood of ALL the prophets shed since the foundation of the world
Luke 11:50-51 Therefore this generation will be held responsible for the blood of all the prophets that has been shed since the foundation of the world, 51 from the blood of Abel to the blood of Zechariah, who was killed between the altar and the sanctuary. Yes, I tell you, this generation will be held responsible for it all.

This was predicted in the Law of Moses
Deuteronomy 32:43 Rejoice, you nations, with his people,[e][f] for he will avenge the blood of his servants; he will take vengeance on his enemies and make atonement for his land and people.

Which is restated in revelation
Revelation 19:2 or true and just are his judgments. He has condemned the great prostitute who corrupted the earth by her adulteries. He has avenged on her the blood of his servants.”

Why do you think the 1st generation of Jews were held responsible for ALL of the saints and prophets that included many that they didn't kill didn't kill? Cain killed able, not the 1st century Jews. Did the 1st century Jews kill zechariah between the alter? I would argue because they killed Jesus.

No, I haven't. Looks like an interesting read though. I do not deny that their have been many Christians persecuted/killed after 70ad. I agree that there have been many since 70 ad. But using scripture to interpret scripture, we see that Jesus charges the 1st century Jews with the righteous blood shed.

Notice right after Babylon Falls in chapter 14, the dead in the Lord, from now on are blessed. They enter the rest from their works.
Revelation 14:13 Then I heard a voice from heaven say, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.“Yes,” says the Spirit, “they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them.”

Hebrews 4:9-11 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,[e] just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

Where are the souls of all those who died since 70 AD?

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where are the souls of all those who died since 70 AD?

Believers are raised in a spiritual body
1 Corinthians 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

and living in the eternal heavens
2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believers are raised in a spiritual body
1 Corinthians 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.

and living in the eternal heavens
2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if the tent that is our earthly home is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens

Based on the scripture below, do you believe there will be a future bodily resurrection and judgment of the dead, or do you think it all happened during 70 AD?

Mat_12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

Mat_12:42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.

Joh 5:27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
Joh 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
Joh 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
Joh 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Based on the scripture below, do you believe there will be a future bodily resurrection and judgment of the dead, or do you think it all happened during 70 AD?

Mat_12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

Mat_12:42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here

What was the city of Nineveh like back in the days of Jesus?.
Interesting that both Matt and Luke mentions this, but Mark never mentions Jonah in his Gospel....

Genesis 1:1 (NKJV)
450. anistemi an-is'-tay-mee from 303 and 2476;
to stand up (literal or figurative, transitive or intransitive):--arise, lift up, raise up (again), rise (again), stand up(-right).
G450 ἀνίστημι (anistēmi), occurs 123 times in 111 verses

Genesis 1:1 (NKJV)

Matthew 12:41
'Men of Nineveh shall be standing-up/rising<450> in the judgment with the generation, this-one, and shall be condemning it,
for they reformed/repented at the proclamation of Jonah, and behold! a greater than Jonah here!
Luke 11:32
'Men of Nineveh shall be standing-up/rising<450> in the judgment with the generation, this-one and shall be condemning it,
because they reformed/repented at the proclamation of Jonah and behold! greater than Jonah here!

Nineveh - Wikipedia
Nineveh (/ˈnɪnɪvə/; Akkadian: URUNI.NU.A Ninua; Syriac: ܢܝܼܢܘܹܐ‎)
was an ancient Assyrian city of Upper Mesopotamia, located on the outskirts of Mosul in modern-day northern Iraq. It is located on the eastern bank of the Tigris River, and was the capital of the Neo-Assyrian Empire. Today it is a common name for the half of Mosul which lies on the eastern bank of the Tigris.

It was the largest city in the world for some fifty years[1] until the year 612 BC when, after a bitter period of civil war in Assyria, it was sacked by a coalition of its former subject peoples, the Babylonians, Medes, Chaldeans, Persians, Scythians and Cimmerians. Its ruins are across the river from the modern-day major city of Mosul, in the Ninawa Governorate of Iraq. The two main tells, or mound-ruins, within the walls are Kouyunjik (Kuyuncuk), the Northern Palace, and Tell Nabī Yūnus.

In the Hebrew Bible, Nineveh is first mentioned in Genesis 10:11: "Ashur left that land, and built Nineveh". Some modern English translations interpret "Ashur" in the Hebrew of this verse as the country "Assyria" rather than a person, thus making Nimrod, rather than Ashur, the founder of Nineveh. Sir Walter Raleigh's notion that Nimrod built Nineveh, and the cities in Genesis 10:11-12, has also been refuted by scholars.[21] The discovery of the fifteen Jubilees texts found amongst the Dead Sea Scrolls, has since shown that, according to the Jewish sects of Qumran, Genesis 10:11 affirms the apportionment of Nineveh to Ashur.[22][23] The attribution of Nineveh to Ashur is also supported by the Greek Septuagint, King James Bible, Geneva Bible, and by Historian Flavius Josephus in his Antiquites of the Jews (Antiquities, i, vi, 4).[24][25][26][27][non-primary source needed]

The Prophet Jonah before the Walls of Nineveh, drawing by Rembrandt, c. 1655
Nineveh was the flourishing capital of the Assyrian Empire[28] and was the home of King Sennacherib, King of Assyria, during the Biblical reign of King Hezekiah (יְחִזְקִיָּהוּ) and the lifetime of Judean prophet Isaiah (ישעיה). As recorded in Hebrew scripture, Nineveh was also the place where Sennacherib died at the hands of his two sons, who then fled to the vassal land of `rrt Urartu.[29] The book of the prophet Nahum is almost exclusively taken up with prophetic denunciations against Nineveh. Its ruin and utter desolation are foretold.[30][31] Its end was strange, sudden, and tragic.[32] According to the Bible, it was God's doing, His judgment on Assyria's pride (Isaiah 10:5–19). In fulfillment of prophecy, God made "an utter end of the place". It became a "desolation". The prophet Zephaniah also[33] predicts its destruction along with the fall of the empire of which it was the capital. Nineveh is also the setting of the Book of Tobit.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Mat_12:42 The queen of the south shall rise up in the judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: for she came from the uttermost parts of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and, behold, a greater than Solomon is here.

Joh 5:27 And hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
Joh 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
Joh 5:29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
Joh 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Based on your quotations along with Paul's "about to be" resurrection statement and Daniel's prophecy of the resurrection occurring after the tribulation, I would argue the resurrection of the just and unjust took place in 70AD immediately after the tribulation of those days.

Acts 24:15 having a hope in God, which these men themselves accept, that there is about to be a resurrection of both the just and the unjust.

Daniel 12:1-3 “At that time shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people. And there shall be a time of distress, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book. And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Based on your quotations along with Paul's "about to be" resurrection statement and Daniel's prophecy of the resurrection occurring after the tribulation, I would argue the resurrection of the just and unjust took place in 70AD immediately after the tribulation of those days.

Acts 24:15 having a hope in God, which these men themselves accept, that there is about to be a resurrection of both the just and the unjust.

Daniel 12:1-3 “At that time shall arise Michael, the great prince who has charge of your people. And there shall be a time of distress, such as never has been since there was a nation till that time. But at that time your people shall be delivered, everyone whose name shall be found written in the book. And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt

You have rejected the future bodily resurrection and judgment of the dead, if I am understanding your response correctly.

Do you believe we are now living in the eternal New Heavens and New Earth?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You have rejected the future bodily resurrection and judgment of the dead, if I am understanding your response correctly.

If the Old Jerusalem and Temple symbolized the first "heaven and earth", then it only makes sense that since we are now the living Temple and Stones of God that we are now in the New Jerusalem.
Paul and Peter tells us:

Ephesians 2:6
and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,

1 Peter 2:5
you also, as living stones, [fn]are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 12:22
But ye have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to myriads of [fn]angels

And if we are still waiting on our resurrection/rapture, then first a Temple has to be built for an anti christ to sit in,
2 witnesses have to again come and preach to the Jews [John the Baptist and Jesus were the first ones sent to them],
then they are killed, then "raptured", and so forth........

Ezekiel 37:10 [Revelation 11:11]
So I prophesied as He commanded me, and breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army. 11 Then He said to me, "Son of adam! these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, 'Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!'

Luke 2:34
And blesses them, Simon, and said toward Mariam, the mother of Him, "Lo, this-one is set/lying for the Falling and Ressurection/anastasin <386> in many in Israel, and into a Sign spoken against"-- [Ezekiel 37 "valley of bones]

Revelation 11:11 [Ezekiel 37 1-1]
And after the three days and half a spirit/breath of life out of the God into-came in them, and they stand<2476>upon their feet, and great fear falls upon those seeing them.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: claninja
Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You and I are still living in our earthly tent. We have not yet received our resurrected spiritual bodies. I assume we agree on that. I believe in a future bodily resurrection of believers, albeit from natural bodies to spiritual bodies.

1 Corinthians 15:42-44 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.

The difference between us, is that it appears you see the resurrection as a singular future event at the coming of Christ when the literal earth and heavens are destroyed, while I view the resurrection as a process that started in 70AD, when Christ came in judgment on Israel, and has been going on every since.

Yes, but I probably don't view the terms Heaven and earth the same as you. I view these terms within specific contexts of God's covenant relationship with people. I believe the "eternal New heavens and New earth" is the new covenant.

I believe when I die, even if I somehow make it to 100 years old in my natural body, I will still be considered young because when the natural body is sown, the spiritual body is raised.

Isaiah 65:20 for the young man shall die a hundred years old
John 8:51 Truly, truly, I tell you, if anyone keeps My word, he will never see death.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You and I are still living in our earthly tent. We have not yet received our resurrected spiritual bodies. I assume we agree on that. I believe in a future bodily resurrection of believers, albeit from natural bodies to spiritual bodies.

1 Corinthians 15:42-44 So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.

The difference between us, is that it appears you see the resurrection as a singular future event at the coming of Christ when the literal earth and heavens are destroyed, while I view the resurrection as a process that started in 70AD, when Christ came in judgment on Israel, and has been going on every since.

Yes, but I probably don't view the terms Heaven and earth the same as you. I view these terms within specific contexts of God's covenant relationship with people. I believe the "eternal New heavens and New earth" is the new covenant.

I believe when I die, even if I somehow make it to 100 years old in my natural body, I will still be considered young because when the natural body is sown, the spiritual body is raised.

John 8:51 Truly, truly, I tell you, if anyone keeps My word, he will never see death.”

If you are not expecting the return of Jesus Christ, where do you think He is at the present time?

He ate a meal with His disciples after His resurrection from the dead.
Do you think He has a real body?

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are not expecting the return of Jesus Christ, where do you think He is at the present time?

Dwelling in the New Jerusalem
Revelation 21:22-23 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.

Revelation 22:3 The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him.

He ate a meal with His disciples after His resurrection from the dead. Do you think He has a real body?

I believe spiritual bodies are real bodies.

I believe Jesus had a flesh and blood body when was raised and walked with his disciple for 40 days prior to his ascension as a testament to the resurrection. I believe when Christ ascended to heaven, Jesus' natural body was glorified and became a spiritual body.

1 John 3:2 Beloved, we are now children of God, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that when Christ appears, we will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is.

I do not believe Jesus is sitting at the right hand of God in a flesh and blood body. I do not believe that we receive flesh and blood bodies upon the resurrection, but spiritual bodies.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Context is the key to the passage below.

You cannot have no crying and no weeping and death at the same time.
The first three words in verse 20 are a negative statement. None of the things that follow the word "shall" will be found in the New Heavens and the News Earth.

The last verse in the chapter reveals the end of the curse.

Isa 65:17 "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; And the former shall not be remembered or come to mind.
Isa 65:18 But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create; For behold, I create Jerusalem as a rejoicing, And her people a joy.
Isa 65:19 I will rejoice in Jerusalem, And joy in My people; The voice of weeping shall no longer be heard in her, Nor the voice of crying.
Isa 65:20 "No more shall an infant from there live but a few days, Nor an old man who has not fulfilled his days; For the child shall die one hundred years old, But the sinner being one hundred years old shall be accursed.
Isa 65:21 They shall build houses and inhabit them; They shall plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
Isa 65:22 They shall not build and another inhabit; They shall not plant and another eat; For as the days of a tree, so shall be the days of My people, And My elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.
Isa 65:23 They shall not labor in vain, Nor bring forth children for trouble; For they shall be the descendants of the blessed of the LORD, And their offspring with them.
Isa 65:24 "It shall come to pass That before they call, I will answer; And while they are still speaking, I will hear.
Isa 65:25 The wolf and the lamb shall feed together, The lion shall eat straw like the ox, And dust shall be the serpent's food. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain," Says the LORD.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Context is the key to the passage below.

You cannot have no crying and no weeping and death at the same time.
The first three words in verse 20 are a negative statement. None of the things that follow the word "shall" will be found in the New Heavens and the News Earth.

The last verse in the chapter reveals the end of the curse.

the context of the prophecy: The New Heavens and New earth
Isaiah 65:1 See, I will create new heavens and a new earth.

For a man, alive in the New heavens and New earth, will be considered young when he dies at 100 years. And a sinner, in the new heavens and new earth, who lives to 100 will be accursed.
Isaiah 65:20 No more shall there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not fill out his days, FOR the young man shall die a hundred years old, and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.

How do we reconcile death and sinners in the New heavens and New earth?

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the context of the prophecy: The New Heavens and New earth
Isaiah 65:1 See, I will create new heavens and a new earth.

For a man, alive in the New heavens and New earth, will be considered young when he dies at 100 years. And a sinner, in the new heavens and new earth, who lives to 100 will be accursed.
Isaiah 65:20 No more shall there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not fill out his days, FOR the young man shall die a hundred years old, and the sinner a hundred years old shall be accursed.

How do we reconcile death and sinners in the New heavens and New earth?

You do not, because you are ignoring the context of the verse, and the passage.

The English translation ignores the context of the rest of the passage.

If I say... There shall be no more... and then list 100 things, then that means there will be none of the things on the list.
This is the context of Isaiah 65:20, based on the rest of the passage.
It is a very difficult verse.

Isaiah 65:20 Hebrew Text Analysis

Last edited:
Upvote 0