How much is too much? What is the Biblical limit on Alcohol?

Robienfold Papenfuse

Sep 16, 2016
Pennsylvania
✟8,423.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Hey Brothers and Sisters of Christ, just wanted to throw out this question since alcohol is starting to play a bigger role in my life. Alcohol has become something that I can now purchase and for a little while it didn't have the slightest appeal to me since I have never had a taste in my entire life, NEVER! That all changed recently when I bought a little mikes hardcore lemonade. I had a few sips and felt a little woozy. I finished the can and felt a range of emotions, initially happiness and then anger. I even took it out on my dog. When I was feeling dizzy I really wasn't thinking about any of my problems or even the spiritual ramifications. But when the drink wears off I feel so guilty that every night I have a few drinks and it calms me down and helps me fall asleep. It even helps me wake up and get going on certain mornings. So my question is how much does God permit us to drink and how often? We all know Jesus enjoyed a good time once and a while (turning white water into whine) so I'm not looking for temperance answers and Billy Sunday style preachers. We all know its ok the question is how much?

Thanks in advance!

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hey Brothers and Sisters of Christ, just wanted to throw out this question since alcohol is starting to play a bigger role in my life. Alcohol has become something that I can now purchase and for a little while it didn't have the slightest appeal to me since I have never had a taste in my entire life, NEVER! That all changed recently when I bought a little mikes hardcore lemonade. I had a few sips and felt a little woozy. I finished the can and felt a range of emotions, initially happiness and then anger. I even took it out on my dog. When I was feeling dizzy I really wasn't thinking about any of my problems or even the spiritual ramifications. But when the drink wears off I feel so guilty that every night I have a few drinks and it calms me down and helps me fall asleep. It even helps me wake up and get going on certain mornings. So my question is how much does God permit us to drink and how often? We all know Jesus enjoyed a good time once and a while (turning white water into whine) so I'm not looking for temperance answers and Billy Sunday style preachers. We all know its ok the question is how much?

Thanks in advance!
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour" ~ 1 Peter 5:8

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟192,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What you have described is crossing the line. No doubt when a person reaches the state of woozy, abuses their pet dog, and then turns to alcohol to put them to sleep, they've discovered a potential problem. Better to reserve the wine consumption for communion.

There is a reason you felt guilty. It is the conviction of the Holy Spirit.

I'm praying you seek God in this matter as therein lies your true source of wisdom.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Thanks in advance!

Whenever you're not sober minded and off that's too much. I also believe it's best not to touch it, maybe it's more of a risk for me because people know I minister and spread hte word of God...but I think it's risky for anyone who says they are a christian to be seen with alcohol, because if you start speaking against being drunk and having too much your ethos is less then if you don't drink at all.

You say we all know it's ok...I would say it isn't once you become strong with God and maybe enter ministry, prophecy, pastorship whatever. Even before then it's not ok cause IK some who tried a little bit of beer or one cigarette and now they are hooked.

Lastly they drunk wine back then as an alternative drink...it was kind of like cola you could argue. Sometimes the water was bad so wine was an good alternative. Sometimes it was also used simply to add flavor when mixed with water and it was more diluted as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Listen to your heart. If you are feeling bad about it, you are drinking too much and maybe too often. And I don't think that the emotional change is a good thing. I drink a glass of wine almost every night. But if i was to experience what you stated, I would stop.

Upvote 0

PollyJetix

Feb 15, 2017
Virginia
✟35,433.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alcohol was added to water in very small amounts, to kill the pathogens, in Bible times.
And yes, drinking too much was a problem. That's why there are warnings throughout the Scriptures.
Too much is when you enjoy the buzz enough to turn to it to help you handle life's problems.
When it becomes a medicine for your soul, it's already got you hooked.

"whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

Limit it severely, to preserve your ability to control it.
No more than one glass of wine per day, with food, is a good standard.

But if you find you can't keep it limited to that... then you might be an alcoholic in the making.
Better to prevent the alcoholism from happening, by going tee-total-er.
Just for your own sake.
There's no shame in it. Only honor.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Alcohol was added to water in very small amounts, to kill the pathogens, in Bible times.
And yes, drinking too much was a problem. That's why there are warnings throughout the Scriptures.
Too much is when you enjoy the buzz enough to turn to it to help you handle life's problems.
When it becomes a medicine for your soul, it's already got you hooked.

"whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise."

Limit it severely, to preserve your ability to control it.
No more than one glass of wine per day, with food, is a good standard.

But if you find you can't keep it limited to that... then you might be an alcoholic in the making.
Better to prevent the alcoholism from happening, by going tee-total-er.
Just for your own sake.
There's no shame in it. Only honor.
True even before it became a sort of flavor thing was initially used to kill patho

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Thanks in advance!

Don't get drunk..... Thats the guidance from the Bible.. Let your conscience guide you in how much you can drink without getting drunk...

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour" ~ 1 Peter 5:8

The above is a good reply.

A little alcohol is good to help digestion, warming the body when we have fever and help me to sleep earlier. But 2 cans of beer makes me a headache and want to vomit and obviously very barbarian. We must not let ourselves get drunk as its stupid and bad for health. Just take a little sip which makes us a little warm and good blood circulation.

If we get addicted to get drunk, we are overcome by alcohol and no longer the people of the Lord. No Holy Spirit and we shall descend into the darkness of Hell when we die.

May Jesus bless you all HalleluYAH

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Honoluluwindow

Sep 2, 2016
Hawaii
✟17,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks in advance!
Don't drink apart from eating meals.

• Agree
Reactions: PollyJetix
Upvote 0

Greyy

Mar 7, 2017
XX
✟9,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Thanks in advance!

I think you went a bit over the top with this one.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thanks in advance!
It's actually pretty simple. If you feel the effects of alcohol at all, you have gone too far. You should not begin to psychologically associate physical or mental positive changes with something you drink, because it will condition you. The most important aspect of this issue is your judgment. It is a sin to do anything for pleasure that alters your judgment. When it affects your judgment, you went too far. I think(?) this happens before you feel any effects/tipsy.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I think you've heard a lot of good advice in the responses here. I think if we're honest with Scripture we see that drinking alcoholic beverages is not wrong in itself. But like so many things that are good in themselves, alcohol can be abused. What makes alcohol stand out is that for one, it's easily abused, and two, the abuse of it can have extremely damaging results.

Therefore, like all things, caution, restraint, and just plain common sense is recommended. Ironically, you'll lose all three of those if you drink too much.

• Agree
Reactions: Gene Parmesan
Upvote 0