Nov 22, 2007
✟24,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I asked this question on another forum but it hasn't received any replies as of yet so I thought I would ask it here.

I'm constantly worried about whether or not I'll have money to retire with since I don't have very much. I know the Bible states that God will provide (2 Corinthians 9:8 and others) but I find myself wondering "Will He really provide". I keep having my doubts if you call it that. Does my little or the small faith that I have negate what is promised? I guess I'm hoping for a miracle for Him to provide. And will He provide? Pleas keep the answers nice and respectful.

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I asked this question on another forum but it hasn't received any replies as of yet so I thought I would ask it here.

I'm constantly worried about whether or not I'll have money to retire with since I don't have very much. I know the Bible states that God will provide (2 Corinthians 9:8 and others) but I find myself wondering "Will He really provide". I keep having my doubts if you call it that. Does my little or the small faith that I have negate what is promised? I guess I'm hoping for a miracle for Him to provide. And will He provide? Pleas keep the answers nice and respectful.
Not wanting to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers, I gave up my career when I was in my early 20s. And began living the sermon on the mount (Matthew 6:24-34). Seeking first the kingdom of God as a career. To make a long story short, I began working unskilled labor part-time as unto the Lord. And retired early out of my own pocket, never missing a day's work even in two major recessions and job closings. The Lord is faithful. Amazing experiences that make it impossible to doubt him in my old age.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @pawnraider, I'm surprised that your other thread got no replies, because this seems like an excellent topic for discussion on one of our theology boards instead of on the Junk Drawer.

That said, there is this passage to consider about those who have little faith .. Matthew 17:14-20 (see v20 in particular). God's promises to fulfill our "needs" do not depend upon us, upon the quality or the quantity of faith that a believer possesses, however, the way that the Lord chooses to bless us (which could include His timing) may be. Remember that His greatest concern for us is, first and foremost, our spiritual wellbeing (though our physical wellbeing can be tied into that as well).

Here is an interesting quote to consider about that (about the way God may choose to operate in our lives at times and why) from pastor/theologian A. W. Pink.

quote-instead-of-a-river-god-often-gives-us-a-brook-which-may-be-running-today-and-dried-up-arthur-w-pink-81-85-53.jpg

As you may have already noted in Matthew 17:20, what we are capable of doing as Christians/for God and for His Kingdom may be be dependent upon the amount of faith that we possess however.

I suppose I should stop here and ask you what you mean by, "Will He really provide"?, specifically.

I'll also add one of my favorite verses into the discussion at this point.

Psalms 37
4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.
This verse has a wonderful command with a wonderful promise attached to it from God, and the key to obeying our half of the verse (the command half) is found in always chasing after Him, NEVER after the things that we want/need from Him. (remember too that the command is to "delight YOURSELF in the Lord", not to "delight the Lord", as if our relationship with Him boils down to nothing more than a quid pro quo ;))

I think you will find that the more you turn your eyes toward the Lord (focus on Him exclusively .. or as the hymn says, "Turn your eyes upon Jesus"), the less and less the things/the cares of this world will bother you :)

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

He always fulfills His promises to us with this single caveat or understanding, He may not do so in the way (and/or in the timing) that we might imagine/expect/prefer that He will, because He always acts in our best interest (even when we don't recognize His actions as being in our best interest ;)).

God bless you!

--David
p.s. - our growth in Christlikeness can be seen in many ways, once of the best being the degree or level of trust that we have come to have in Him .. Proverbs 3:5-6.

Here's a short video (a sermon excerpt) from Dallas Theological Seminary that might be helpful if you have the time to listen to it (it touches upon the topic of $$ and faith/trust in God, just FYI).

quote-two-words-will-help-you-cope-when-you-run-low-on-hope-accept-and-trust-charles-r-swindoll-115-36-69.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pawnraider

Nov 22, 2007
✟24,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hello @pawnraider, I'm surprised that your other thread got no replies, because this seems like an excellent topic for discussion on one of our theology boards instead of on the Junk Drawer.
I wasn't sure where to post it and I wasn't sure it was a theological issue so that's why I decided to posted it here.

• Informative
Upvote 0

pawnraider

Nov 22, 2007
✟24,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Not wanting to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers, I gave up my career when I was in my early 20s. And began living the sermon on the mount (Matthew 6:24-34). Seeking first the kingdom of God as a career. To make a long story short, I began working unskilled labor part-time as unto the Lord. And retired early out of my own pocket, never missing a day's work even in two major recessions and job closings. The Lord is faithful. Amazing experiences that make it impossible to doubt him in my old age.
Did you acquire enough money to retire on through investments or by putting what you earned in the bank?

Upvote 0