Sweden
✟200,340.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No, a great scientist is the one who's after a groundbreaking idea. They often endure hardships, as their work involves loneliness (among other things), which causes lack of moral sense, hence the immorality. Even if a small portion of them succeed, they are all the same. Groundbreaking or not.

Hm, loneliness causes lack of moral sense? I live alone, and I think I have a pretty decent moral compass...

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
No, ''real'' scientists are people known for their eccentricity.
You still think scientists are like the villain from the Smurfs?

Is everything you know about from Saturday morning cartoons?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,659.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Let´s just generously assume, for purposes of your argument, that all great scientists are eccentric, and that being eccentric often means being immoral.
Now what?
Scientist are bad, Christians are good.

That's what all this guys threads will end up attempting to show.

Upvote 0

just a believing guy

Apr 4, 2017
new caledonia
✟9,857.00
Country
New Caledonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hm, loneliness causes lack of moral sense? I live alone, and I think I have a pretty decent moral compass...

Yes, but you're (most likely) not a scientist on a verge of a groundbreaking invention or sth.

Upvote 0

just a believing guy

Apr 4, 2017
new caledonia
✟9,857.00
Country
New Caledonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You still think scientists are like the villain from the Smurfs?

Is everything you know about from Saturday morning cartoons?

''Real'' scientists are eccentric. Common knowledge...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

just a believing guy

Apr 4, 2017
new caledonia
✟9,857.00
Country
New Caledonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So it's not the loneliness of the scientists that makes them immoral then..? Pls tell us what it is then...

I'll tell you. ''Real'' scientists are eccentric, which leads to loneliness, which leads to immorality or lack thereof, which leads to their feeling that nothing else than their jobs matter...it's a vicious circle.

Upvote 0

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟200,340.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'll tell you. ''Real'' scientists are eccentric, which leads to loneliness, which leads to immorality or lack thereof, which leads to their feeling that nothing else than their jobs matter...it's a vicious circle.

Haha, very hard to tak you serious, so I won't even try...

Upvote 0

just a believing guy

Apr 4, 2017
new caledonia
✟9,857.00
Country
New Caledonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When it comes to scientists, the thing I am interested in is the quality of their scientific findings. The morality of their private lives, not so much.

How about the influence of the great scientists on the other, ''insignifficant'' ones? Are these scientists not entitled to moral feelings?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟200,340.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
How about the influence of the great scientists on the other, ''insignifficant'' ones? Are these scientists not entitled to moral feelings?

When you drink a glass of milk, are you very concerned about the morality of the farmers..?

Upvote 0

dhh712

Mrs. Calvinist Dark Lord
Jul 16, 2013
Gettysburg
✟34,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Any thoughts?
I do not think the objective of science is morality but to discover what the world calls "truth". Therefore, I do not think science is moral at all since at its basis there is no morality.

Upvote 0

just a believing guy

Apr 4, 2017
new caledonia
✟9,857.00
Country
New Caledonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When you drink a glass of milk, are you very concerned about the morality of the farmers..?

Come to think of it, I kinda am... Do they use GMO, too much pesticides, herbicides, etc. etc.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Any thoughts?
There is a contradiction in reality. In theory, science is a-moral since it should be an objective look at truth, but in practice it is biased and prejudicial. The irony is that modern science began from a moral point of view. The early medieval scientists were Christian theologians who began their pursuit with the assumption that an orderly God created an orderly creation. When Darwin rejected the Creator as his premise and substituted natural selection scientists who preferred to deny God grabbed hold of his substitution. Now that bias prevents many scientists from accepting the premise of God and the influence of a spiritual dimension upon the physical world.

Upvote 0

ximmix

Feb 14, 2014
Sweden
✟200,340.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Come to think of it, I kinda am... Do they use GMO, too much pesticides, herbicides, etc. etc.

Hehe ok then, i can see you brooding over a glass of milk. Or you could just trust that the rules and regulations are being followed...

Upvote 0