• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How many times have you asked to be saved?

KC2013

Dec 6, 2013
✟7,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I would bet over the 16 or so years I've struggled with this that I have said 100s if not 1000s of prayers asking to be saved. If I'm not, it's not because of a lack of trying to be.

It seems so repetitive at times when I rationalize and have moments of clarity. On the other hand there are other times when my heart starts to beat and I get worried about if I am or if I'm not.

Will peace ever come? It's tough to talk to anyone about this because I'm cautious as to how much certain pastors and church staff members know about the possibility of someone having Scrupe, etc.

I've been trying to do better this year. I have started going back to church. I try to pray somewhat regularly, but it always seems I end up at the same doubting station with worries that I suppress for a few days with a prayer for salvation.

Or my mind says, "you aren't saved, so God isn't going to hear your prayer anyway" before I start to pray.

Advice? Prayers needed...

Apr 2, 2013
✟17,827.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Praying for you. I have the same struggle. Things will get better. We need to keep saying Thank you Jesus you saved me the first time I asked you. God understands we have OCD. Our faith will strengthen with this. God loves you. You are saved even though you don't feel it.

Upvote 0

emilie mayer

Jun 22, 2013
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One true evidance that you are saved is that you see your need for salvation. This fact helped me a lot. When we are born into this world we dont see our need for Jesus to save us. Our hearts are so hard and we are so blind to the word of God that it wouldnt make sense to us. When God because Gods grace He starts to draw us to salvation. The Holy spirit opens our heart to see that we are sinners and our need for Jesus. That is called conviction. Once you see that you need Jesus and you realize sin seperates us from God then you ask Jesus to be your Lord and savior and confess your sins and because we love the Lord and see that sin is bad we try not to sin. This is called repentance. Repentance means you have changed your mind about sin and have turned twards Jesus and accepted Him as savior. Now that being said we arent perfect and we will stumble from time to time and sin. Sometimes intentionally and sometimes unintentionally. When that happens we are still saved but it puts a strain on your relationship with God. So confess the sin and try and do better and know you are forever forgiven. Nothing can seperate us from God. So the fact that you want to be saved and that you know your a sinner, you also believe Jesus is the truth the way and the life shows God is drawing you to Him. That means your one of His. Jesus saved you the first time you asked. Im going to send you scripture that backs up what i am telling you. We cannot see truth in Gods word on our own its impossible. That is proof God is drawing you to Him.

Upvote 0

emilie mayer

Jun 22, 2013
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God cannot lie because a lie is a sin and God does not sin. So when He promises something He means what He says. In John 6:37 when God tells us Jesus wont cast out any who come to Him its truth. So when you asked Jesus the first time to be your Lord and savior He did. PRAISE GOD. GOD IS GOOD

Upvote 0

1ofGodsChildren

only by Gods grace
Mar 8, 2014
South Carolina
✟7,834.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I'm new here. I have had extreme OCD for 7 years. It is awful. I have asked thousands of times to be saved. After each time questions would arise. Questions like did I really believe ect. I knew what Jesus said in John 6:37 so I would feel guilty for asking over and over too. Ah the tricks this disease will play on us. The good news is God is greater than OCD. He's so much more powerful than our minds.

Anyways Jesus showed me something last night and I made this account to post this. I am amazed that when I found this site I saw this thread. Amazed at what Emily has already said. This seems like God is working here. I started reading the book of Mathew and came to chapter 11:28-30. Jesus' invitation to salvation to me. I then flipped over to John 6:37 where Jesus promises to not reject ANYONE who comes to Him to be saved. Then I read John 6:44 where He says NOBODY can come to me without the Father drawing them. Ok then He showed me John 6:65. Jesus says in that verse that NOONE can come to Him unless it has been "GRANTED to him by my Father". I was like wow! I realized it has been God all along who was wanting to save me and not myself. I thought since He is drawing me , granted me permission and said "I won't reject you", then it's all His responsibility to save me no matter how I feel or what I say!

I know how OCD makes us feel overly responsible. Salvation is a gift from God. It's all Him from the faith to the repentance. My point is that I am fully relying on Him. He literally ha taken away all the responsibility that I have been feeling. You know what I mean I'm sure. Did I pray right or did I really believe. It's all His responsibility to save anyone who just comes to Him.

I hope this makes sense to someone.

Reactions: AFriendIndeed
Upvote 0

1ofGodsChildren

only by Gods grace
Mar 8, 2014
South Carolina
✟7,834.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What I'm trying to say is God is responsible for keeping His own promises. It's not in our power to even want to be saved. We know we can't save ourselves. We know only Christs blood can cleanse and save us. Still our OCD tricks our minds and makes us feel overly responsible. After all we are just trying to be honest with ourselves. But we play NO part in salvation. We come with our sins, problems,flaws and whatever else, Jesus saves us in the condition we are in. He says if we ask/come to Him He won't reject us. Why does He say that? Because it's a fact! He says we aren't even able to come to Him on our own. Why does He say that? Because it's a fact! Praise God! If you want to be saved just go to Him. He has never ever rejected ANYONE who has come to Him! I believe that with all my heart. Read the gospels. Everyone who came to Him he healed or did whatever they came to Him for. If He rejects you, you would be the first ever. Acknowledge your feelings, acknowledge how you feel but just go to Him and let Him worry about IT ALL. Let Him save you not your prayers and feelings. When you realize it out of your control OCD loses some of it's power.

Last edited:
Reactions: AFriendIndeed
Upvote 0

anonym00s

Sep 26, 2011
✟8,254.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well said 1ofGodschildren.

Savedd, those voices won't just leave you alone one day. You have to refuse to believe what they are saying and stand on the truth. You have to resolve within yourself to believe the truth no matter what the voices say. For me, I stopped hearing things like that once I stopped listening to them and started believing the truth. They quit wasting their time on me at some point because they weren't getting anywhere (not to say they would never try again).

Also, when you pray for your salvation over and over in my opinion that is a form of unbelief. What you are saying is that last time you prayed for salvation God didn't hear you and/or didn't follow through on His Word which is false.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AFriendIndeed

Mar 25, 2014
Spartanburg, SC
✟7,949.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you have the desire to be saved and/or to have a relationship with God, then that is God drawing you. Otherwise you would have no desire for God. You must trust God and take Him at His word. I have doubted and asked to be saved numerous times myself. I had to realize that I can not trust my feelings. I can only trust God. What you said reminded me of the story of Cornelius in the Bible. You might want to read it beginning in Acts chapter 10. Take care.

Upvote 0

KC2013

Dec 6, 2013
✟7,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Update... Some days are better than others. I have been trying to do better this year. I go to church more regularly. I pray more regularly. It just pains me to have these doubts arise over and over and over again. When I was in the 6th or 7th grade, we had a royal ambassadors group that met every Wednesday. 1 night our instructor shared the specifics of salvation and the penalty of not being saved during our class. This was before my OCD was triggered. We did the heads bowed, eyes closed, and raise your hand if you need the Lord deal. I remember a friend was the only one of us than initially raised his hand. Then, the instructor asked if there were any others. I recall it feeling like my heart was about to beat out of my chest at that moment. He led us in a prayer to ask for salvation and for forgiveness. I recall a feeling afterwards but to this day I am unable to replicate it. The only description I've ever been able to give for it was that it felt like my insides opened up.
FlashForward and my OCD was triggered a year after that or so.
It began as hand washing and nervous tics. And then it manifested itself into my spiritual being.
There was a time when I was very active in my church. I was in the position of song leader at age 16. By 18, I thought I had everything together and knew what direction in life I was going. OCD and various other shortcomings led to me refraining from attending church and neglecting any spiritual help at all.
I began to shut out God and listen to my thoughts. Ignoring God and church was my thing. Now let me make this clear...
I never became a drinker or a boozer a drug person or anything like that. I just put a lid or lack thereof as my mind or OCD is saying right now with God.
in the past few years I've lost over 100 pounds.
I look better and I feel somewhat better. Now. I just want to be overall better but it seems there's a hurdle in my way. Sorry for the rant. Sorry if it is incoherent. Been speaking into my phone instead of typing. Prayers needed for this issue. Insight welcomed. Also need prayers for a sore back and rib cage that I have incurred due to becoming an active person that runs a lot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

emilie mayer

Jun 22, 2013
✟15,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is everywere at every time. He sees your post. He hears even the smallest quiet prayers. If you asked for forgiveness of your sins and Jesus to save you then rest assured you were led to do it. We are saved by Gods grace and Gods grace alone. He is faithful when we are faithless. He is strong when we are week.

Upvote 0