USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We can be justified, made new creations, and then later return to a life of sin, living in the flesh, rejecting the heavenly gift that we've tasted, mocking God, and so lose our state of justice /righteousness.
Could you provide Scriptural evidence that the heavenly gift can be rejected, once received?

Either way we reap what we sow, to the Spirit or to the flesh. We take God's gift and "invest" it, or we might bury it. In this way we work out our salvation with He who works in us.
Col 2:12 isn't about how to hold on to salvation. It's about the present tense sense of salvation, which is being saved from the power of sin, through spiritual growth.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Could you provide Scriptural evidence that the heavenly gift can be rejected, once received?
Well. Heb 6:4-6 is fairly clear on the matter.
Col 2:12 isn't about how to hold on to salvation. It's about the present tense sense of salvation, which is being saved from the power of sin, through spiritual growth.
I'm sure you meant Phil 2:12, and it's about what it says: working our one's salvation. As we know salvation is referred to in past, present, and future tense in the NT. God covets our participation, but doesn't force it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm sure you meant Phil 2:12, and it's about what it says: working our one's salvation. As we know salvation is referred to in past, present, and future tense in the NT. God covets our participation, but doesn't force it.
The thing is, we don't "work out" salvation in the past tense or future tense. Only in the present tense. And that is what we call sanctification, which is spiritual growth.

Also, I had asked this:
"Could you provide Scriptural evidence that the heavenly gift can be rejected, once received?"

If you don't have evidence, it's ok to say so.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The thing is, we don't "work out" salvation in the past tense or future tense. Only in the present tense. And that is what we call sanctification, which is spiritual growth.
Well, if it's sanctification that's being worked out, then some would say that it's not salvation, while others, like myself, would say that it is, because justification and sanctification are actually inseparable.
Also, I had asked this:
"Could you provide Scriptural evidence that the heavenly gift can be rejected, once received?"
I did.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, if it's sanctification that's being worked out, then some would say that it's not salvation, while others, like myself, would say that it is, because justification and sanctification are actually inseparable.
Not sure of your point here. As noted, salvation can be thought of and described in 3 tenses. Here is how it looks:

Past tense: we have been saved from the penalty of sin. Justification
Present tense: we are being saved from the power of sin. Sanctification
Future tense: we will be saved from the presence of sin. Glorification

Do you agree with these tenses related to salvation?

You didn't provide Scriptural evidence that the heavenly gift can be rejected, once received.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not sure of your point here. As noted, salvation can be thought of and described in 3 tenses. Here is how it looks:

Past tense: we have been saved from the penalty of sin. Justification
Present tense: we are being saved from the power of sin. Sanctification
Future tense: we will be saved from the presence of sin. Glorification

Do you agree with these tenses related to salvation?
No, the classical way of understanding the tenses would be:
Past: Justification
Present: Maintaining and growing in the justified state, working out one's salvation, making their calling and election sure
Future: the hope and goal of all, the result of persevering, striving, being vigilant, etc
You didn't provide Scriptural evidence that the heavenly gift can be rejected, once received.
Exegete Heb 6:4-6 if you will.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No, the classical way of understanding the tenses would be:
Past: Justification
Present: Maintaining and growing in the justified state, working out one's salvation, making their calling and election sure
Future: the hope and goal of all, the result of persevering, striving, being vigilant, etc
My explanation included the theology of justification, sanctification, and glorification.

What theological doctrines, specifically, does your so-called way of explanating the tenses cover?

Exegete Heb 6:4-6 if you will.
4 It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit,
5 who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age
6 and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.

v.4 those who have been enlightened, tasted the heavenly gift, and shared in the Holy Spirit are SAVED people.

v.5 more description proving they are SAVED people.

v.6 "fallen away" refers to returning to the animal sacrifices of the Mosaic Law. The Greek word for "repentance" means to change the mind.

iow, those SAVED people who have returned to animal sacrifices, even though Christ has come and "once and for all" sacrificed Himself for humanity's sins, will NOT change their minds and come to their senses.

I suppose you think that "fallen away" means loss of salvation. In spite of no evidence for that.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What does passing from death to life have to do with being born from above?

And once born, should you feel God's presence everyday until death

You do realize that, Gospel, means: Good News, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is only ONE new birth, but the sanctification process is messy.

Jesus said,

But what do you think?

A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, ‘Son, go, work today in my vineyard.’ He answered and said,
‘I will not,’ but afterward he regretted it and went.

Then he came to the second and said likewise. And he answered and said,
‘I go, sir,’ but he did not go.

Which of the two did the will of his father?” Matthew 21:28-31 NKJV

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just
  • to forgive us our sins and
  • to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9 NKJV :clap:
So if I fall away from the faith,
and then repent AGAIN...
God will not take me back?

And could you explain what the parable of the two sons has to do with this O.P.?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So if I fall away from the faith,
and then repent AGAIN...
God will not take me back?
I don't get how you arrived at that conclusion. As long as you care to repent, He will restore you.
And could you explain what the parable of the two sons has to do with this O.P.?
On the surface, the first son was wrong and the second was right. In practice, the first one ended up honoring God and the second one failed to do so.

Redeemed people might be wrong at times, but they keep returning/responding to conviction.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't get how you arrived at that conclusion. As long as you care to repent, He will restore you.

On the surface, the first son was wrong and the second was right. In practice, the first one ended up honoring God and the second one failed to do so.

Redeemed people might be wrong at times, but they keep returning/responding to conviction.
Agreed.
But you said there is only ONE new birth.
How do you understand the word REPENT?

It sounded like you were saying that a person cannot REPENT more than one time.

......REPENT does not mean to feel sorry for.....

This might be the misunderstanding here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you understand the word REPENT?
Being Born-Again includes repentance, but it is the first time that you acknowledge Jesus and surrender to Him. We still mess up after that, but we know how to repent and get back on track. As long as we stay on track or, when necessary, repent and get back on track, we remain in good standing.

Apostasy happens when a mature Christian suddenly decides to abandon the above process and never returns. Wrestling with a besetting sin is NOT apostasy.

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Being Born-Again includes repentance, but it is the first time that you acknowledge Jesus and surrender to Him. We still mess up after that, but we know how to repent and get back on track. As long as we stay on track or, when necessary, repent and get back on track, we remain in good standing.

Apostasy happens when a mature Christian suddenly decides to abandon the above process and never returns. Wrestling with a besetting sin is NOT apostasy.
I agree,,,but I do wish we'd use the word repent properly,,,not that anything will be changed here today.

Repent means to change one's mind...to turn back...to go the other way.
IOW, one is born and is lost. He is walking toward satan....he REPENTS...he turns around and goes the other way....toward God.

This happens one time.
If a person sins while on his way toward God...this is being sorry for that sin and asking forgiveness.

Today we use the word repent to mean sorrow...so I like to make sure what the person means.

I do believe we agree.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree,,,but I do wish we'd use the word repent properly,,,not that anything will be changed here today.

IOW, one is born and is lost. He is walking toward satan....he REPENTS...he turns around and goes the other way....toward God.

This happens one time.
If a person sins while on his way toward God...this is being sorry for that sin and asking forgiveness.
Could you finish this conditional clause please?

If a person sins, then what?

Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could you finish this conditional clause please?

If a person sins, then what?
This is what I stated in post 97:

This happens one time.

Please tell me where the conditional clause is.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This is what I stated in post 97:

This happens one time.

Please tell me where the conditional clause is.
Thanks.
Sure.

"If a person sins while on his way toward God...this is being sorry for that sin and asking forgiveness."

I'm waiting for the "then...what" that depends on the "if".

Upvote 0