1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many Taliban are there?

Discussion in 'Other Regions' started by OldWiseGuy, Aug 25, 2021.

1. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+10,805
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Current estimates are only 60,000 fighters. Enough to maintain control of the entire country? It seems to me that they might be stretched pretty thin considering the vast territory they have control over. Thoughts?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. SamanthaAnastasia

SamanthaAnastasia Just a library lady

+1,152
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    At least enough to screw in a light bulb

3. SamanthaAnastasia

SamanthaAnastasia Just a library lady

+1,152
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I jest idk I’ve heard chatter saying one of the challenges is they’re stretched waaaaay too thin

4. Jesus is my Superhero

Jesus is my Superhero Zealot

+907
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Pakistan has madrases pumping them out indoctrinated, but illiterate. Before the U.S. invasion, the Paki intel services were calling the shots with many of the Taliban groups.

Edit: They have a hive mind over there too.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. inquiring mind

inquiring mind associate with those you can learn from Supporter

+3,132
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    It looks as though a couple dozen could have done it.

6. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+6,673
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    So they won using sneaky tactics, and now have to be stationary.

7. Gene2memE

Gene2memE Newbie

+4,948
    Atheist
    Private
    Your numbers need some illuminating:

The Taliban have somewhere from 50,000 to 60,000 "core" fighters. But there are also anywhere from 80,000 to 160,000 militia style combatants with aligned groups.

The Taliban is sort of a franchise operation - you bring some men along and they will help arm them and set them up to control a territory. The territory is then "yours", but the Taliban get to control it. EDIT: These are 'holding troops' - the can occupy ground, but can't really conquer new territory.

There are also many as half a million "armed sympathizers" from tribal groups both within Afghanistan and in some of the surrounding regions (mostly across the Pakistan and Turkmenistan borders, also in Iran). These guys will basically help the Taliban assert control, even if they're not Taliban themselves.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. JIMINZ

JIMINZ Well-Known Member

+2,327
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    They apparently have forgotten their own history, the Russians were fighting there for 20 yrs, then we came in and fought for another 20, now they think they are in a position of power to take on the task of defending it with only 60 -75,000, good luck with that.
    They will be fighting against Al Qaeda, Isis, Hamas, Hezbollah for control of the Country to say nothing of China, Russia, Iran

9. d taylor

d taylor Well-Known Member

+3,237
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    Is that not according to Biden talliebon or tallybon, not sure how it would actually be spelled the way he says it.

10. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+10,805
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Let's hope those 'local militia's' that are opposing the Taliban gain support.