Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Current estimates are only 60,000 fighters. Enough to maintain control of the entire country? It seems to me that they might be stretched pretty thin considering the vast territory they have control over. Thoughts?

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Enough to maintain control of the entire country? It seems to me that they might be stretched pretty thin considering the vast territory they have control over. Thoughts?
At least enough to screw in a light bulb

Upvote 0

SamanthaAnastasia

Just a library lady
Dec 21, 2018
Earth
✟168,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Enough to maintain control of the entire country? It seems to me that they might be stretched pretty thin considering the vast territory they have control over. Thoughts?
I jest idk I’ve heard chatter saying one of the challenges is they’re stretched waaaaay too thin

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pakistan has madrases pumping them out indoctrinated, but illiterate. Before the U.S. invasion, the Paki intel services were calling the shots with many of the Taliban groups.

Edit: They have a hive mind over there too.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Current estimates are only 60,000 fighters. Enough to maintain control of the entire country? It seems to me that they might be stretched pretty thin considering the vast territory they have control over. Thoughts?
It looks as though a couple dozen could have done it.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So they won using sneaky tactics, and now have to be stationary.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,389.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Current estimates are only 60,000 fighters.

Your numbers need some illuminating:

The Taliban have somewhere from 50,000 to 60,000 "core" fighters. But there are also anywhere from 80,000 to 160,000 militia style combatants with aligned groups.

The Taliban is sort of a franchise operation - you bring some men along and they will help arm them and set them up to control a territory. The territory is then "yours", but the Taliban get to control it. EDIT: These are 'holding troops' - the can occupy ground, but can't really conquer new territory.

There are also many as half a million "armed sympathizers" from tribal groups both within Afghanistan and in some of the surrounding regions (mostly across the Pakistan and Turkmenistan borders, also in Iran). These guys will basically help the Taliban assert control, even if they're not Taliban themselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

They apparently have forgotten their own history, the Russians were fighting there for 20 yrs, then we came in and fought for another 20, now they think they are in a position of power to take on the task of defending it with only 60 -75,000, good luck with that.
They will be fighting against Al Qaeda, Isis, Hamas, Hezbollah for control of the Country to say nothing of China, Russia, Iran

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your numbers need some illuminating:

The Taliban have somewhere from 50,000 to 60,000 "core" fighters. But there are also anywhere from 80,000 to 160,000 militia style combatants with aligned groups.

The Taliban is sort of a franchise operation - you bring some men along and they will help arm them and set them up to control a territory. The territory is then "yours", but the Taliban get to control it. EDIT: These are 'holding troops' - the can occupy ground, but can't really conquer new territory.

There are also many as half a million "armed sympathizers" from tribal groups both within Afghanistan and in some of the surrounding regions (mostly across the Pakistan and Turkmenistan borders, also in Iran). These guys will basically help the Taliban assert control, even if they're not Taliban themselves.

Let's hope those 'local militia's' that are opposing the Taliban gain support.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums