• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How many pills is too many ( vitamins)

Far Side Of the Moon

" The moon is high& the stars are aligned" :)
Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Alright. Ive been thinking,of buying vitamins because I'm so busy..with school and work..(and ill be even more busy with this second job...) That sometimes I miss meals and when I eat its just junk food...

I want to incorporate vitamin D and Calcium ....as well as change my diet.

I was wondering how many can can I take ?

Because I wanted to take Calcium,Vitamin D, 5Htp, B12..and some others..

I know its not good to tAke them all at once ...

I was thinking could I alternate ..like say,

Calcium& Vitamin D on one day

And 5htp& B12 on the next day...

And just interchange just like that..

Is that okay?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Alright. Ive been thinking,of buying vitamins because I'm so busy..with school and work..(and ill be even more busy with this second job...) That sometimes I miss meals and when I eat its just junk food...

Is that okay?
Why not just get a good, high potency, multivitamin with minerals? You’ll get all you need for your stated reasons, and far cheaper than buying many individual ones.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Is that okay?
Ask your doctor after a blood panel. Too many of some vitamins can put stress on the kidneys and liver.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Honestly just take multivitamins and vitamin d if you're feeling tired.

Vitamins are not and should not be a substitute for a balanced diet, though. Eat a balanced diet and you'll get the vitamins you need. Depending on where you live, vitamin d may be good. Where I live we don't get much sun so a lot of people are vitamin d deficient but seldom do anything about it.

All I take nowadays is vitamin d in the evening. I take medication for my thyroid in the morning and vitamin d can prevent up to 30% of the dosage being absorbed if taken within 2-3 hours of my thyroid medication, but yeah, vitamin d is all I take and high dose vitamin c every day during the winter to help stave off colds and the like.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Is that okay?
My body doesn't like vitamin pills. I start itching, or get sore joints, or things like that, when I take vitamin pills. I do eat vitamin fortified cereals and take a little wheat germ oil each day for my vitamin E. Orange juice for vitamin C. Broccoli and romaine lettuce for other vitamins and minerals.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Broccoli and romaine lettuce for other vitamins and minerals.

Broccoli actually has more vitamin c than oranges. It's amazing actually and really tasty. I eat tons of the stuff :)

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Broccoli actually has more vitamin c than oranges. It's amazing actually and really tasty. I eat tons of the stuff :)
Here in Reno, it isn't very good this time of the year. The broccoli we get at the store is turning yellow. I do love orange juice.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I did not know that :p ill be eating more broccoli... I'm gonna research vitamins qnd the foods that contain them...as well as meals to prepare.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Honestly just take multivitamins and vitamin d if you're feeling tired.

Vitamins are not and should not be a substitute for a balanced diet, though. Eat a balanced diet and you'll get the vitamins you need. Depending on where you live, vitamin d may be good. Where I live we don't get much sun so a lot of people are vitamin d deficient but seldom do anything about it.

All I take nowadays is vitamin d in the evening. I take medication for my thyroid in the morning and vitamin d can prevent up to 30% of the dosage being absorbed if taken within 2-3 hours of my thyroid medication, but yeah, vitamin d is all I take and high dose vitamin c every day during the winter to help stave off colds and the like.
I'm definteky gonna do a balanced diet... I just keep moving I need to sit down long enough to eat and sleep. Lol

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ask your doctor after a blood panel. Too many of some vitamins can put stress on the kidneys and liver.
Oh wow :/ definteky dont want to hurt my kidneys.
What if I took vitamins 2 days every 2 weeks?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh wow :/ definteky dont want to hurt my kidneys.
What if I took vitamins 2 days every 2 weeks?
As mentioned by another poster a daily dose of a women's specific multivitamin and some vitamin D would not hurt.

I saw quite a few strong and healthy male and female Soldiers damage their bodies with overuse and abuse of vitamins and all those fat burner and muscle building shakes. What an obsession they were already fit.

One young man was medically discharged using that stuff damaged his heart.

Eat well and balanced meals. Don't let work stress you out and break you down. You can do more damage to your body stressing it out and especially missing meals.

When it comes to your own body and mind "to thine own self be true." Jesus has the rest.

Edit: oh forgot. Daily exercise. 30 mins a day maintains your weight. 1 hour a day helps healthy weight loss. Take the stairs not the elevator and park at the far end of the lot and walk it in. Every little bit helps.

I used to run long distance races up to marathons. That require more than an hour a day. :)

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My favorite. Broccoli and peas are also the best vegetables for colon health. Throw in chia seeds to yogurt or cereal adds a lot of fiber to the diet.

Reactions: High Fidelity
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did not know that :p ill be eating more broccoli... I'm gonna research vitamins qnd the foods that contain them...as well as meals to prepare.

Yeah, what these guys have said. Try to get your vitamins/minerals through foods rather than taking a horde of supplements. Basic supplements for Calcium and Vitamins in minimal amounts are ok, but your diet should not rely on them as full sources.

(organic) Broccli is good; raw (organic) spinach is good for nutrients, too. So is Kale, but one really has to get used to that ... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also be aware that too much Vitamin D can damage your kidneys. You need it, but not a lot of it. And if you spend time out in the sun, your body makes its own, so in those situations, you don't need Vit. D.

Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As mentioned by another poster a daily dose of a women's specific multivitamin and some vitamin D would not hurt.

I saw quite a few strong and healthy male and female Soldiers damage their bodies with overuse and abuse of vitamins and all those fat burner and muscle building shakes. What an obsession they were already fit.

One young man was medically discharged using that stuff damaged his heart.

Eat well and balanced meals. Don't let work stress you out and break you down. You can do more damage to your body stressing it out and especially missing meals.

When it comes to your own body and mind "to thine own self be true." Jesus has the rest.

Edit: oh forgot. Daily exercise. 30 mins a day maintains your weight. 1 hour a day helps healthy weight loss. Take the stairs not the elevator and park at the far end of the lot and walk it in. Every little bit helps.

I used to run long distance races up to marathons. That require more than an hour a day. :)
This is great advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Also be aware that too much Vitamin D can damage your kidneys. You need it, but not a lot of it. And if you spend time out in the sun, your body makes it's own, so in those situations, you don't need Vit. D.
How much vitamin D should I have each day?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How much vitamin D should I have each day?

From Healthline - "Bottom line: Vitamin D intake is recommended at 400–800 IU/day, or 10–20 micrograms. However, some studies suggest that a higher daily intake of 1000–4000 IU (25–100 micrograms) is needed to maintain optimal blood levels."

[I'd be careful with that suggestion about taking 1000-4000 IUs; I'd probably not do that, especially if you spend time in the sun on a regular basis.]

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just got my Mayo Clinic newsletter and One of the Special Reports came with it and it was mostly on the LIVER. We cannot live without our liver and it is a huge multi-tasker for our body. All of our food, meds, herbs, and such are screened by our liver and manipulated in many ways for the utilization of our intake or for rejecting it. Not just alcohol can damage it permanently. There many things which can damage our liver or overwork it. Tylenol is one biggy if taken at greater doses or frequencies than prescribed or if taken long term. But certain meds and vitamins and such can damage our liver. Additionally, some house cleaners and automotive cleaners/sprays can damage our liver. Obesity can damage our liver. Mayo clinic said to take as few meds and supplementals as possible and the two largest NO NO's in that realm are Muscle Building substances and Weight Loss substances. Even the 2 cups per day of bile it produces (acts like dish soap with grease) to help dissolve complex fats, I believe, can back up and damage our liver. A damaged liver can still function as "normal" but our longevity (length of life) will be shortened, our immunity system can be affected, cancer can be gotten as a result, and so much more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Is that okay?
Dont fall into the trap of believing that vitamins are all good and can do no harm. That isnt true... taking large doses at best can simply cost u money and all you do is make expensive urine. But at worste you can get toxic levels with some vitamins and minerals. Take as prescribed. Better still just exercise and have a healthy diet. Thats all you need

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Far Side Of the Moon

Mar 11, 2016
Georgia
✟30,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why not just get a good, high potency, multivitamin with minerals? You’ll get all you need for your stated reasons, and far cheaper than buying many individual ones.
Right. My mom suggested one a day vitamin for women.

Upvote 0