How many people are actually saved?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
John called the saved in Heaven "To high to count" but just how many people are saved? Is it all who accept the gospel or is it more? Paul said two things about salvation one that those who "Believe in their hearts that Jesus was buried and born again" and that "everyone who calls upon Jesus will be saved" this could potentially mean that billions of people are actually saved. If not hundreds of billions because there are billions of people alive today that accept the gospel. So what do you think? Just how much of the multitude did John see?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No one knows the answer to either of those questions--how many did John see and how many will be saved. We simply are not given to know the answers but OTOH, and like many other questions of this sort that we might ponder, it also is not important that we know.

Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟888,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John called the saved in Heaven "To high to count" but just how many people are saved? Is it all who accept the gospel or is it more? Paul said two things about salvation one that those who "Believe in their hearts that Jesus was buried and born again" and that "everyone who calls upon Jesus will be saved" this could potentially mean that billions of people are actually saved. If not hundreds of billions because there are billions of people alive today that accept the gospel. So what do you think? Just how much of the multitude did John see?

Jesus said in Matthew 7:21-27

“"Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.' "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell-and great was its fall."”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:21-27‬

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that if we are saved, Jesus is changing us to become gentle and humble >

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

And with this we have in the Sermon on the Mount the basics of how to be >

poor in spirit,

meek,

merciful,

pure in heart.

This is how we become because of God's love in our hearts > Romans 5:5, 1 John 4:17. And we have still more and more how our Heavenly Father keeps correcting our character and maturing us > Hebrews 12:4-14 < this scripture says every child of God has this correction. So, if we are saved, this is basic, guaranteed for every child of God.

"But evil men and impostors will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived." (2 Timothy 3:13)

So, it is not mainly about the quantity, but the quality of how we become spiritually in sharing with our Father. So, we need to give this our main attention, and not be decoyed with issues which take our attention away.

About ones who have not heard the Gospel > the Bible says Satan has the whole world under his sway, and this I think means in his "spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience" (in Ephesians 2:2). So, I would not be wishful about ones who have not heard the Gospel. Pray for all, and have hope for all, and help someone you can to reach the unreached . . . howsoever God guides us.

But one thing in an unbeliever can be unforgiveness. We know how Jesus has said one needs to forgive, or else the person is not forgiven > Mark 11:25. And I have been informed that ones in back unreached places can have even cultures of unforgiveness.

So, I would not trust in wishful ideas about people you do not personally know.

By the way, also, Jesus says that if ones do not obey God, the one who knows will receive more stripes than the one who does not know > Luke 12:47-48. Why would an unknowing person miss out, though? I think it has to do with the person's nature being of Satan's spirit, even if someone does not realize this. That unforgiveness keeps the person away from God's forgiveness which lives in His generously forgiving love.

So, yes the ones who are growing in being generously all-forgiving are the saved. It is good to be in this number :)

Upvote 0

_Dave_

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2019
Arizona
✟144,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you want a real eye-opener do a comprehensive study on the occurrence of remnants in Scripture.

I would hesitate to put a number on how many who call themselves Christians are truly saved. But, the number of times in God's Word that only a handful were saved out of some judgment or tragic consequence is pretty scary. These remnant events are all idioms or typologies of greater truths.

Couple that with Jesus saying, "I never knew you," and the soul-searching that SHOULD result from a thorough study of 1John, and one might not be too sure about billions and billions being with the Lord at the end.

• Agree
Reactions: worshipjunkie
Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

There are many people who have lived but only a few out of that many are saved.
Life is like a game with many players, few champions. (Matthew 7:13-14, Isaiah 10:22, Romans 9:27, 1 Corinthians 9:24-27)

In the main parable of Mark 4:13-20 MOST of the parable is about how people failed. Only the last verse is about the people who won.

Even in the story of Gideon, only 300 out of 22,000 were champions. (Judges 7:1-7)

It still will be many people who win this life but compared to the super-many that totally have lived it will seem like a few.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,919.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If you want a real eye-opener do a comprehensive study on the occurrence of remnants in Scripture.

I would hesitate to put a number on how many who call themselves Christians are truly saved. But, the number of times in God's Word that only a handful were saved out of some judgment or tragic consequence is pretty scary. These remnant events are all idioms or typologies of greater truths.

Couple that with Jesus saying, "I never knew you," and the soul-searching that SHOULD result from a thorough study of 1John, and one might not be too sure about billions and billions being with the Lord at the end.

Maybe not. But John did call the number of saved people "too high to count" but that could easily mean th hat the number is in the tens or hundreds of millions and not billions. Or it could mean billions over the 6-7,000 years this planets been around. Who knows.

Because lets face it there are billions of people who claim to believe in Christ alive today. But just how many of them have true faith? Not many id assume. Maybe 20 million of them actually have true faith. Idk. It's REALLY hard to tell.. But I believe John when he said that the actual amount of saved people are too high too count. Even if its 100 million that'd still be too high to count.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture asks us to work out our salvation with fear and trembling, check ourselves to make sure that we are truly in the Faith, repent, die to self, carry our crosses, and do the Will of the Father.

Scripture says a lot more than believing that Christ is alive, and calling on His Name. The overall message of Scripture points to a continual, upward trek. We are urged to make sure that our election is sure, persevere, and keep going. Christ also warns that many will seek to enter, and not be able to.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Despite that 2.3 bn people claim to be Christian, I am of that opinion I heard from a preacher once that we are really a minority; this includes removing mere professors in our churches/culture and every religious group that has an improper view of the gospel. If you were to filter Christendom through the proper biblical requirements, we may be just above the actual adherents of Judaism. The preacher I heard say this actually had numbers and what it would look like, but I don't remember what the exact number would look like.

If you're referring to John's account, obviously it is too numerous to count. But, you want an extensive answer within biblical boundaries. I look at it like this: after the resurrection, God will renew this earth and fill it with his glorified people. This means every Christian among every generation are the future inhabitants of the new earth. Since we are the minority in our culture, whereas the ungodly are the majority, we will one day actually dominate the next age. Imagine this now, the population of New York City is somewhere near 9 million people, that's a lot of people concentrated in one area. Now imagine almost every city in the US with that population, it would reach far above the current world population. (I understand that some geographical problems would occur with this idea, but it is merely hypothetical if possible). However, this is just the size of the United States, what about the rest of the world? Revelation says that there will not be a sea in the next world, if this is literal then that is more land to cover. If you think about it, we, as a minority in this world, will be able to measure up to the appropriate expansion of the earth in the next world. This is more of an idea than biblical, that is true, but it is something to meditate about. We are too numerous to count, because we will fill the whole earth, and that for an eternity.

But, just imagine, we won't be few in that age, it will be populated everywhere with righteous, glorified, loving, peaceful, godly, honorable, Christ-centered people. Imagine what sort of society we will be there! Imagine, a world full of perfect Christians who love and worship God! We cannot even grasp what it will be like, but we sure groan for it. A world restored from the effects of the fall! Truth will prevail there!

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
One can hope that even hell will be empty in the end ...

Hell will be empty because everyone in it will be cast into the LOF, along with hell itself.

Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

• Agree
Reactions: _Dave_
Upvote 0