LDS How many negative charges has been made about JS character in LDS History? Just, curious.

Jamesone5

Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How many grains of sand are on a beach?

To put it simply, far too many critics of the LDS faith refuse to let the facts get in the way of their narrative / royalty checks, and so one can readily find outright lies in circulation.

Interesting that you say royalty checks as Joseph Smith attempted to receive his own royalty checks off his copyrighted BoM. God even supposedly told him to get it copyrighted

The Attempt to Sell the Book of Mormon Copyright – Mormonism Research Ministry

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Interesting that you say royalty checks as Joseph Smith attempted to receive his own royalty checks off his copyrighted BoM. God even supposedly told him to get it copyrighted

The Attempt to Sell the Book of Mormon Copyright – Mormonism Research Ministry

I'll see your source citation and raise you mine:

Mormon/LDS Answers: Questions about LDS Prophets and the Mormons

The claim that Joseph admitted it was a false prophecy he'd received is suspect at best, it was only the Canadian copyright that was up for sale as a means of helping the church raise badly-needed money, and none of the people involved in the failed attempt questioned what had taken place.

In contrast, I remember the time I walked into a Family Christian book store and found that their entire "comparative religion" section could be summed up as "anyone who doesn't believe as we do is going to Hell and here are dozens of books explaining why".

• Optimistic
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How many grains of sand are on a beach?

To put it simply, far too many critics of the LDS faith refuse to let the facts get in the way of their narrative / royalty checks, and so one can readily find outright lies in circulation.

There are 616,666,616,666,616,666 on a beach near me.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
How many negative charges has been made about JS character in LDS History? Just, curious.
Let us not forget the negative charges made about Jesus Christ:

(New Testament | Matthew 28:12 - 15)

12 And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they gave large money unto the soldiers,
13 Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we slept.
14 And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure you.
15 So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day.

Sometimes people make false accusations for various reasons. In some cases it can be a mater of perception. There were times that Joseph Smith was admonished by God. No one is perfect except Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll see your source citation and raise you mine:

Mormon/LDS Answers: Questions about LDS Prophets and the Mormons

The claim that Joseph admitted it was a false prophecy he'd received is suspect at best, it was only the Canadian copyright that was up for sale as a means of helping the church raise badly-needed money, and none of the people involved in the failed attempt questioned what had taken place.

In contrast, I remember the time I walked into a Family Christian book store and found that their entire "comparative religion" section could be summed up as "anyone who doesn't believe as we do is going to Hell and here are dozens of books explaining why".

Of course none of the people involved questioned what had taken place, then---just as you do not question what had taken place back then. That is the nature of a cult.

As what [is nothing more than your opinion] is being sold at Christian bookstores, that is why we all need discernment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Of course none of the people involved questioned what had taken place, then---just as you do not question what had taken place back then. That is the nature of a cult.

As what [is nothing more than your opinion] is being sold at Christian bookstores, that is why we all need discernment.
I am glad I have the discernment to know the difference between good and evil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamesone5

Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No better time than the present.

And where will you find yourself in the End if you are wrong in your Faith in a Religion of man?

Satan is not the friend of anyone--especially those who are seeking God. He will use man in the form of false prophets and false teachers to do his will.

Christ did warn us about false prophets arising repeatedly in Matthew, Chapter 24. Should we not heed His warnings?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
And where will you find yourself in the End if you are wrong in your Faith in a Religion of man?

Satan is not the friend of anyone--especially those who are seeking God. He will use man in the form of false prophets and false teachers to do his will.

Christ did warn us about false prophets arising repeatedly in Matthew, Chapter 24. Should we not heed His warnings?
It ALL boils down to keeping the commandments and doing good works!

(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14)

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It ALL boils down to keeping the commandments and doing good works!

(Old Testament | Ecclesiastes 12:13 - 14)

13 ¶ Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

So you saying I do not do any kind of good works? Especially those I am led by Christ to do?

Like I say, satan if the enemy and he will use error mixed in with lies--- to deceive you. And in the case of Mormons, cause man to write all kinds of false so-called scripture.

this seems to fit with Mormons who add to His Word

Proverbs 30:6
Do not add to His words, Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Getting back to JS, the fact is that there are just sooo many negative elements in his life that even completely open-minded people cannot excuse them.

And when significant numbers of people who follow the faith he launched freely point to many of those negatives themselves, you know it's not just sniping from poorly-informed outsiders that we're talking about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
So you saying I do not do any kind of good works? Especially those I am led by Christ to do?

Like I say, satan if the enemy and he will use error mixed in with lies--- to deceive you. And in the case of Mormons, cause man to write all kinds of false so-called scripture.

this seems to fit with Mormons who add to His Word

Proverbs 30:6
Do not add to His words, Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.
You said: "So you saying I do not do any kind of good works? Especially those I am led by Christ to do?"

That is not what I am saying. What I am saying is that the scriptures I quoted should be the main doctrine of every church, and if it isn't then that church is NOT teaching correct principals.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Getting back to JS, the fact is that there are just sooo many negative elements in his life that even completely open-minded people cannot excuse them.

And when significant numbers of people who follow the faith he launched freely point to many of those negatives themselves, you know it's not just sniping from poorly-informed outsiders that we're talking about.

Does knowing that Moses killed a dude in cold blood stop you from accepting the Old Testament?

Does knowing that Paul was an accessory to murder stop you from accepting his epistles?

Reactions: He is the way
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Does knowing that Moses killed a dude in cold blood stop you from accepting the Old Testament?

Does knowing that Paul was an accessory to murder stop you from accepting his epistles?
Note exactly what I wrote if you want to take that approach.

I said that there is SO MUCH that is negative in the career of JS that an unbiased student of the subject is understandably likely to wind up with a skeptical view of the man.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Note exactly what I wrote if you want to take that approach.

I said that there is SO MUCH that is negative in the career of JS that an unbiased student of the subject is understandably likely to wind up with a skeptical view of the man.
I would say that a church should be judged by it's doctrine. There were plenty of people who did not agree with Jesus Christ. They said He had a Devil among other criticisms like healing on the Sabbath. The people wanted Him crucified. Other prophets were killed also. Jesus said:

(New Testament | John 10:32 - 39)

32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
37 If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not.
38 But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.
39 Therefore they sought again to take him: but he escaped out of their hand,

And they still wanted Him dead.

Upvote 0