✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Creationist electrical engineer Walter ReMine wrote:

Take an ape-like creature from 10 million years ago, substitute a maximum of 500,000 selectively
significant nucleotides and you would have a poet philosopher?... Is this enough to account for the significantly improved skulls, jaws, teeth, feet, speech, upright posture, abstract thought, and appreciation of music, to name just a few?
- The Biotic Message, p. 209

Clearly, ReMine thinks that 500,000 beneficial mutations is just not enough to get a human from an apelike ancestor.
He never says why he thinks this, but it has become a mantra among creationists that even if evolution were true, there are not enough beneficial mutations to explain us evolving from an apelike ancestor.

So... the challenge -

How many mutations would it have taken to get a human pelvis (left) from an Australopithecine pelvis (right)?
product-1416-title-title-carousel-1456183803.jpg
product-1975-title-title-carousel-1415047278.jpg

Show your work please.

I was once told by a creationist computer tech that it must be 1 million! He could not explain why, he just "knew" it.
And yet... We actually know that a single mutation can produce this kind of pelvis:

product-2492-main-main-big-1522966864.jpg

from normal human phenotype parent... so, I'm thinking a million is maybe ~999,990 too many...

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,597.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Aww. I was hoping for an education on how the original Y/X Chromosome structure developed from whatever Synapsids used to distinguish sex and compartmentalise their genetic structure.

Incidentally, how much problems do people with those mutated hips have with walking/standing?

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Aww. I was hoping for an education on how the original Y/X Chromosome structure developed from whatever Synapsids used to distinguish sex and compartmentalise their genetic structure.
Ha! You know, the implication of the title never crossed my mind...
Incidentally, how much problems do people with those mutated hips have with walking/standing?
Maybe a little?
dinklage.PNG

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Take an ape-like creature from 10 million years ago, substitute a maximum of 500,000 selectively
significant nucleotides and you would have a poet philosopher?... Is this enough to account for the significantly improved skulls, jaws, teeth, feet, speech, upright posture, abstract thought, and appreciation of music, to name just a few?

Clearly, ReMine thinks that 500,000 beneficial mutations is just not enough to get a human from an apelike ancestor.
He never says why he thinks this, but it has become a mantra among creationists that even if evolution were true, there are not enough beneficial mutations to explain us evolving from an apelike ancestor.

So... the challenge -

How many mutations would it have taken to get a human pelvis (left) from an Australopithecine pelvis (right)?

Show your work please.

I was once told by a creationist computer tech that it must be 1 million! He could not explain why, he just "knew" it.
And yet... We actually know that a single mutation can produce this kind of pelvis:

from normal human phenotype parent... so, I'm thinking a million is maybe ~999,990 too many...

I see these "Atheist vs Creationist" threads come up from time to time. And I am glad they position it that way on CF, because I have seen others do that as well.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I see these "Atheist vs Creationist" threads come up from time to time. And I am glad they position it that way on CF, because I have seen others do that as well.

This isn't an atheist versus creationist thread though?

(Unless you're falsely equating evolution with atheism.)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So... the challenge -

Show your work please.

There are gene switches that can be switched "on" or "off".
The results can be dramatic in just a few generations.
NOVA: What Darwin Never Knew | Switching Genes On and Off

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So you cannot address the OP, either. Got it.
Which is interesting - creationists with engineering backgrounds usually pretend they have ALL the answers on issues like this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pacomascarot

Oct 9, 2021
Southern California
✟3,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

So... the challenge -

Show your work please.

The answer is 73.

No need to show my work, it's obvious.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So... the challenge -

Show your work please.

So, we are nothing but a pelvis?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.