• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

How many home churches/cell groups have you fellowshiped in?

Discussion in 'House Churches & Cell Groups' started by Goodbook, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Goodbook

Goodbook Reading the Bible

+5,048
    Christian
    In Relationship
    I was thinking about this the other day and realised since Ive become a christian that ive met more in homes than church buildings.

Like Ive been in about 12 groups over five years. Its just easier to meet in homes and to invite people to homes. I think sometimes established churches can intimidate people, like you dont know what the right way to behave is or where to sit, or what to wear even sometimes.

I have heard of there being such things as 'high church' and 'low church' but i dont know where that is in the bible.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. South Bound

South Bound I stand with Israel.

+966
    Christian
    Married
    I've been part of several very good cell groups, although I suspect you and I would define "cell groups" differently.

That's not a problem with the church. That's just bad parenting.

It's not. It's just a way of describing different types of worship. "High church" typically means it's liturgical while low church means it's not. We're Reformed Baptists so we're somewhere in the middle

3. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,735
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    It has been a number, about a dozen over 45 years; and I have led 2 cell groups. But with the exception of one, they have all been part of a larger congregation.

4. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,735
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Actually, it is more about how much pomp and formality is in the liturgy. Even "low church" can be quite liturgical. Some catholic and episcopal I have heard described as "low church."

You almost need the pope or other high leader there to be "high church."
    I can assure you, you are not in the middle. Even the most formalized Baptist liturgy would be low church.

5. Goodbook

Goodbook Reading the Bible

+5,048
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Most of mine have been cell groups attached to churches but still open to anyone, I was leading one for a while where we met at the library.

Home groups dont fuss about formaility but there is still an order to it its not just random whoever wants to speak. Even if we just read from the bible its not passages picked at random, although that can happen even in established churches where some preacher gets on his hobby horse.

6. sheila51

sheila51 New Member

+2
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I have a group i run on facebook called christians bible study thats my ministry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ace of hearts

ace of hearts Well-Known Member

+1,145
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Only a couple authorized by the IC. They were sorry empty affairs.

8. JAM2b

JAM2b Newbie

+1,600
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    I have only to three. I haven't lived in an area where there are a lot of them, either that, or the word isn't out about many of them.

There's one that I only attended once. I've thought about trying again, but the whole thing in that particular one just felt "off."

The other two I've gotten a lot out of, but one group dispersed, and the other was preparing to purchase a building and become set up as regular church with plans for growth.