How many gifts of the Spirit are mentioned in the Bible, and which ones are still operating today?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit is part of our inheritance. He is a gift from Christ, but since every believer gets the indwelling Holy Spirit I do not look at that as one of the Gifts of the Spirit.

It is a gift in the traditional sense that we do nothing to deserve it, like grace, in that sense it is a gift.

But since your thread seemed about the gifts of the Spirit, then I would think you would rather not get into overly basic doctrine.

But it seems this thread has no focus. So I think I'll find some other threads that have a focus.

Certainly I can refer to other gifts of God besides the Spirit. For after all, the Lord our God is one God. Not that I believe in Modalism (mind you).

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Certainly I can refer to other gifts of God besides the Spirit. For after all, the Lord our God is one God. Not that I believe in Modalism (mind you).
I was referencing the OP post and post title.

Most people appreciate threads that stay on topic. People participate out of interest in the topic.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was referencing the OP post and post title.

Most people appreciate threads that stay on topic. People participate out of interest in the topic.

I don’t feel it is off topic. The Lord our God is one God. Besides, I created the thread. Surely, even if it was a little off topic (which I don’t feel that it is) surely we can talk about very closely related things to the thread I created as a brief side discussion and not as a detailing of the thread. I did create the OP. Surely, I find it acceptable to discuss this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don’t feel it is off topic. The Lord our God is one God. Besides, I created the thread. Surely, even if it was a little off topic (which I don’t feel that it is) surely we can talk about very closely related things to the thread I created as a brief side discussion and not as a detailing of the thread. I did create the OP. Surely, I find it acceptable to discuss this.
Of course this is your feeling. You are taking the thread off in different directions.

But, enjoy your thread brother. Catch you later.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course this is your feeling. You are taking the thread off in different directions.

But, enjoy your thread brother. Catch you later.

Again: We are talking about the gifts of the Spirit. The Holy Ghost is God. So I can talk about the gifts of God because the Holy Spirit is a part of the triune Godhead or Trinity.

May God bless you.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you fancy a little bedtime reading, here is an good peer reviewed study of the main interpretations of 1 Cor 13:8-13 by R Bruce Compton, Professor of Biblical Languages and Exposition at Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary.

I started to read it, and I agree that the "perfect" in 1 Corinthians 13 is talking about the completed canon (for the church today). What a lot of people miss in my opinion is that "perfect" does also refer to 2 Timothy 3:16-17 that the man of God may be "perfect" unto every good work (Which is rooted in Scripture and love; Note: 1 Corinthians 13 is the famous love chapter - BTW; Jesus said if you love me, keep my commandments - John 14:15). We conform to the image of Jesus Christ when we look in the Bible/glass/mirror. We look into the Bible mirror and we do not see ourself face to face in the mirror anymore, but we start to see the image of Jesus Christ by obeying the commands from the NT (With the completion of the canon). I am aware of the popular views. To be honest, and please take no offense, but the article is a little dry for my taste in reading the whole thing concerning something I am aware of. I like simple writing or when a person talks to me simply, but thank you for providing it. It was thoughtful for you to do that.

May God bless you.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
2 "Beloved, now are we the children of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3 And every man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as he is pure."
(1 John 3:2-3).

full

full

full

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." (Romans 12:2).

16 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Miraculous Gifts are something people can see. But the Word of God (the Bible) is a faith thing.

Jesus said,
"...blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." (John 20:29).

This would be us today with the Bible.
We don't need spiritual gifts to see in order to believe.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1).

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
we observed a few months back a deaf girl deaf since a baby ,now 15 yrs old .. got healed when we laid hands on her in Jesus name -she can hear now .
we have interpretation of tongues now a number of times where the language was heard in our own language .
we have seen many many people thrown to the ground as devils manifested and the demons cried out and came out of the person as we commanded them to in Jesus name .
we have seen people come up out of water of baptism and spontaneously break out in tongues .

Jesus said to those that believe -all things are possible- i can only assume -you do not believe the words of the lord Jesus

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
we observed a few months back a deaf girl deaf since a baby ,now 15 yrs old .. got healed when we laid hands on her in Jesus name -she can hear now .
we have interpretation of tongues now a number of times where the language was heard in our own language .
we have seen many many people thrown to the ground as devils manifested and the demons cried out and came out of the person as we commanded them to in Jesus name .
we have seen people come up out of water of baptism and spontaneously break out in tongues .

Jesus said to those that believe -all things are possible- i can only assume -you do not believe the words of the lord Jesus
ZERO!!!

A Mountain of extraordinary experience weighs less than an ounce of inspired scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
How horrible! That is truly frightening, but many people would rather be magicians than bible believers

Oh you wanna know something else,.... all the old line protestant denominations are in decline, including baptists. In 2011 we were already double their size around the world.

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Oh you wanna know something else,.... all the old line protestant denominations are in decline, including baptists. In 2011 we were already double their size around the world.
The more denominational churches eliminated, the better the chance of people learning truth

Keep practicing the magic and, one day, you'll be a wizard

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ZERO!!!

A Mountain of extraordinary experience weighs less than an ounce of inspired scripture.
A mountain of opinion is all you have.
We took the word of God... Acted on it in faith and experienced what it promises. You dont get more solid scripture then that.

You disbelieve scripture . acted in zero faith and got zero.
Pretty dangerous stance youve taken .since without faith it is impossible to please God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The more denominational churches eliminated, the better the chance of people learning truth

Keep practicing the magic and, one day, you'll be a wizard

I wouldn't get too high up on your horse either, Evangelicals are not growing as much as the Pentecostals. They are growing at least , but not as fast as us.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't get too high up on your horse either, non-denoms share in that decline just as much. The only real growing part of the church is the modern protestant churches, ie Pentecostal and Charismatics.
He pronounces that non denom will help people find truth while denying the truth of the power of the holy Spirit..so they may find truth outside the major denominations ..i did. But they wont find it in his sect .

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
He pronounces that non denom will help people find truth while denying the truth of the power of the holy Spirit..so they may find truth outside the major denominations ..i did. But they wont find it in his sect .

If they won't take the 3rd step of being filled with The Holy Spirit like Jesus, they will eventually decline like the main line denominations. I think The Holy Spirit has rejected a lot of those protestants because they rejected Him.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
A mountain of opinion is all you have.
We took the word of God... Acted on it in faith and experienced what it promises. You dont get more solid scripture then that.

You disbelieve scripture . acted in zero faith and got zero.
Pretty dangerous stance youve taken .since without faith it is impossible to please God.

Agreed. We have to live the word, not just read it and go to church.

Times are getting short, and GOD wants a glorified body.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they won't take the 3rd step of being filled with The Holy Spirit like Jesus, they will eventually decline like the main line denominations. I think The Holy Spirit has rejected a lot of those protestants because they rejected Him.
many who recieve the holy Spirit will themselves perish .because they then refuse to walk in obedience. God never removes free will . large numbers and popularity never determine whose right with God. God decided whose right with God and he declares it to be very very few

Upvote 0