How many gifts of the Spirit are mentioned in the Bible, and which ones are still operating today?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe certain gifts are still operational today.
I believe God can do miracles today.

While God can do miracles today (of his own choosing and by the answering of prayer), and while certain gifts do remain for the church today; However, the gifts of...

Tongues, Prophecy (like adding new revelations not in Scripture), and the Gift of Miracles Have Ceased:

1. Tongues and traditional prophecy have ceased ~ 1 Corinthians 13:8-13. Verse 8 says, “...whether there be prophecies, they shall fail;” and verse 8 says, “whether there be tongues, they shall cease;” The question is when do tongues and prophecies cease? Verse 10 says “ when that which is perfect is come”; And verse 11 says, “when I became a man, I put away childish things.” Are we going to be children (and not men) upon this Earth until Christ takes us home?

2. Both 1 Corinthians 13 and James 1 describe something that is “perfect” and “looking into a mirror.” In 1 Corinthians 13, that which is “perfect” (neuter in the Greek) fits the reference to the “Perfect law of liberty” (James 1:25) (Which would also be neuter). The law of the Lord is “perfect” (Psalms 19:7). All Scripture (the Bible) is profitable so that the man of God may be “perfect” unto every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17). James 1:23 and 1 Corinthians 13:12 both describe the Bible as a mirror/glass that we see our reflection in. Some people look into a mirror and forget their physical appearance. Some people look into the Bible mirror and forget their spiritual appearance. Therefore, Glass / Mirror = Perfect = The Word of God. 1 Corinthians 13:12 describes the "perfect" as a glass mirror, just as James 1:23 does. 2 Corinthians 3:18 also shows the glass, and hence the perfect to be the Word of God, which transforms us. It says: "But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord" (Also see verse 15 in the same chapter). As we look into God's Word and we see Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit transforms us into the very image of Jesus Christ. "We all" means all believers, seeing in the Bible/glass, the glory of the Lord. "Open face" means that we can hide nothing from God; We must be open and honest with Him.

3. Tongues were for a sign that the Jews looked for. 1 Corinthians 1:22 says, “For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:” But Jesus says, “ An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign;” (Matthew 12:39). Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. (1 Corinthians 14:22). "In the law it is written, with men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people (Jews); and yet for all that (all the tongues) will they (Jews) not hear me (warning ignored), saith the Lord". 1 Corinthians 14:21. Tongues here clearly are a warning to the Jews that they ignore. 1 Corinthians 14:21 is quoting from Deuteronomy 28:49 where God warns of judgment coming from "a nation whose tongue thou shalt not understand."

4. The three greatest prophets and miracle workers in the Bible are Moses, Elijah, and Jesus. We see that the miracles that they performed were a way to authenticate them as a messenger from GOD and the Word of God that they provided (that would be immortalized into Scripture). We notice that after each of these prophets, there was a time of silence where no miracles were done. Just like with the prophets Moses, Elijah, and Jesus, miracles authenticated the apostles' message as from God. "And they (apostles) went forth, and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them, and confirming the Word with signs (tongues, prophecies, healing, etc.) following. Amen." Mark 16:20. Today the need for tongues and miracles has ceased. God has authenticated the apostles and the New Testament that they penned. This proves the temporary nature of tongues and miracles. You can see the pattern of why GOD used major miracles in the Bible and it was the purpose to authenticate the Messenger and the Word

5. We can see that after the book of Acts, the gifts no longer operated in Paul’s life like they once had. The sign gifts, tongues, prophecy, the gift of healing, etc. were operating all through the Book of Acts, and these gifts are mentioned in the letters that Paul wrote during the Acts period. But when we turn to the letters written after the Book of Acts—the 4 Prison Epistles, and the 3 Pastoral Epistles, we find that the sign gifts either aren’t mentioned at all or we see—as with the gift of healing—that they were no longer operating in Paul’s life. What he could do in Acts 28, he could no longer do in Philippians, or in 1 and 2 Timothy. He could heal all the sick on the island in Acts 28:9, but he couldn’t heal any of his closest co-workers—Timothy, Epaphroditus, Trophimus—after the close of the Book of Acts (See this article here for the full explanation).

6. Notice that both 1 Corinthians 13:11 and Ephesians 4:13 equate attaining fullness of knowledge with becoming a perfect or mature man. What have childish things got to do with temporary gifts of prophecy, tongues and knowledge? Answer: Paul is comparing a human advancing from childhood to adulthood, with the church passing from infancy in the first century marked by prophecy, tongues and knowledge gifts to maturity marked by believers depending on the Bible, faith, hope and charity from 96 AD to the rapture. By 96 AD the childish gifts of prophecy, tongues and knowledge had ceased, and church manhood had been reached. A man comes to fulness of the knowledge of Christ by Scripture; For all Scripture is profitable for doctrine that the man of God may be perfect unto every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17). (Note: Back in the early church, the gift of knowledge was the giving of special revelation of either history, and or doctrine that the apostles did not have on their own; In the OT, Moses received the gift of knowledge to pen the details of history in the Torah; In the NT, Certain men of God (in the early church) had received new knowledge from God to teach new doctrine, like Peter, James, John, and Paul etc. so as to write inspired Scripture).

7. While God can heal people directly Himself today, the gift of miracles is not given to any one believer that we know today. No Charismatic can always heal. Yet, the Bible says that they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. This means 100% recovery all the time. No one can do this today, as the apostles could in Acts 5:12-16. "By the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people.....they (believers) brought forth the sick into the streets.....and they were healed every one". (Acts 5:16).

8. New revelation (prophecy) or new words from God are not to be added (Revelation 22:18-19). If a person were to add to God’s Word, the plagues that are within the book known as the Bible (not the plagues in Revelation) would be added to them. We have occurrences of this actually happening. See these two links here: Bible Correctors lose Voice Bible Corrector Loses Voice on Ankerberg Show

9. The Apostles and Prophets were merely the foundation built upon the foundation of Jesus. “For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father. Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow-citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief cornerstone;” (Ephesians 2:18-20). We are said to have access by one Spirit unto the Father that is build upon the “foundation” of the apostles and prophets. Being an apostle is a gift (See 1 Corinthians 12:28-31). The qualifications of being an apostle was to have seen the risen Lord Jesus Christ (See Acts of the Apostles 1:22-26). Paul said he met the qualifications as being an apostle because he had seen the risen Lord. 1 Corinthians 9:1 “…Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord?” Paul called himself the “last prophet.” (1 Corinthians 15:8-9). Paul says that God has set forth the apostles last (1 Corinthians 14:9)......................................................................................................................................................................................................
  10. The context of I Corinthians is rebuking 13 errors, such as tongues, and it is not recommending tongues. The Corinthian church was filled with problems that Paul corrects in this book, such as:

(a) They were following their favourite human leaders causing divisions. 1:11-14
    (b) " " favouring human wisdom. 1:18-2:13
    (c) " " carnal, living for self, not controlled by the Spirit. 2:14-3:7
    (d) " " forgetting the future Judgment Seat of Christ. 3:8-23
    (e) " " proud, thinking of themselves more highly than they ought. 4:1-21
    (f) " " failing to discipline, by tolerating a fornicator. 5:1-13
    (g) " " taking fellow believers to court. 6:1-20
    (h) " " confused about marriage. 7:1-40
    (i) " " confused about liberty thinking it meant licence to do as they please, even stumbling others. 8 ,9 ,10.
    (j) " " confused about clothing, long hair on men and Lord's Supper. 11
    (k). " " confused about spiritual gifts, especially tongues. 12-14
    (l) " " confused about the resurrection. 15
    (m) " " confused about the collection. 16​

As we can see the Corinthian church was deep in error and false doctrine. It was the only church that emphasized tongues as today's Charismatics do. Charismatics therefore place themselves in very bad company. Charismatics fail to understand that Paul is not endorsing tongues, but is rebuking the wrong use of tongues and is strongly regulating tongues contrary to today's Charismatics. Today's emphasis on assemblies with more than on person speaking at the same time is plainly wrong (1 Corinthians 14:27). Paul feared that even one person speaking in tongues without proper interpretation would give the appearance of barbarians or insanity (1 Corinthians 14:11) (1 Corinthians 14:23). What would he think of today's mass hysteria? Today's spontaneous, wild use outside of Scriptural limits is wrong. The gift of prophecy, far superior in every way to tongues, was under the control of the prophets For it is written: “Remember that people who prophesy are in control of their spirit and can take turns.” (1 Corinthians 14:32) (NLT). So Paul's repeated instructions about the right use of the gift of tongues required it to be a very controllable gift, not a force or power controlling the user. Paul valued 5 words with the understanding rather than 10,000 words without the understanding (i.e. tongues)! So Preaching is far superior in God's purpose and for the churches' profit (1 Corinthians 14:19) (1 Corinthians 14:39). The gifts had a purpose and a place in time. They were to authenticate the church and the New Covenant. But seeing that which is "perfect" has come (the Bible), we do not need any more revelation. The Bible has all the revelation or instruction that we need today.

11. Miracle working today is not proof a person is of God always. We know by Scripture that there are certain believers who do miracles in Christ's name and yet they were told by Christ to depart from him because he did not know them and because they worked iniquity (and or sin) (See Matthew 7:22-23). So just because one does miracles does not mean they are right with GOD in their hearts (or a part of His Kingdom). Paul essentially says in 1 Corinthians 13 that love is far better than anything. If we miss to love God and love our neighbor, the miracles do not mean anything. We can also see if the fruits of the Spirit are in operation in that person's life if they are truly of GOD. The true miracles of today (in my opinion) are when hearts are transformed to seek forgiveness with Christ and to follow Him and overcome their sin in this life. This is a miracle and working of GOD so as to love GOD and to love your neighbor. Granted, I am not going to say every person on the planet today who does a miracle may not be of GOD (because I do not want to speak against GOD if I am wrong), but it is my conviction by Scripture that the miraculous gifts, prophecy, and tongues have ceased. ....................................................................................................................................................................
  12. Jesus essentially said to Thomas that there would be those who would not see and yet believe (John 20:29). Jesus called them blessed. I believe Jesus was hinting to a time when believers would not see today and yet they would still believe despite seeing any proof any miracle or sign, etc. I believe this time is today. In fact, Jesus rebuked those who sought after the physical miracle Jesus did with the feeding of many with bread, etc. and yet they did not seek after the true miracle who was Jesus Himself (the spiritual bread from Heaven to save their souls).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are 20 gifts that are clearly stated in Scripture (Ephesians 2:8, Acts of the Apostles 2:38, Romans 12:6-8, 1 Corinthians 12:8-11, Ephesians 4:11-12) for the early church. 1 of these gifts (that is clearly stated) has changed in function or operation (Prophecy*); And 5 of these gifts (that are clearly stated) are not in operation today. So there are 15 operational gifts today (that are clearly stated in Scripture).

Here are the Gifts (that is clearly mentioned) that are in operation today:

1. Jesus (The Gift of God's Grace, Salvation).
2. Holy Ghost (Is a Gift).
3. Prophecy.*
4. Ministry (Preaching the Gospel).
5. Teaching.
6. Exhortation.
7. Giving.
8. Leadership.
9. Mercy.
10. Word of Wisdom.
11. Word of Knowledge.
12. Discerning Spirits.
13. Gift of Evangelism (Winner of Souls)
14. Gift of Pastorship.
15. Gift of Teaching.

Here are the Gifts (clearly mentioned) that are not in operation today:

1. Gifts of Healing,
2. Working of Miracles,
3. Tongues
4. Interpretation of Tongues
5. Gift of Apostleship.

Note:* Prophecy today is not like it was in the early church. The early church would predict future events and could give us new words that could be written down as Holy Scripture. Prophecy today is being able to have the power by the Spirit to be able to discern properly those texts in the Bible that deal with the End Times (i.e. Eschatology).

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The study of certain gifts ceasing is something that is revealed to a believer based on looking at various verses and the real world (Which I am willing to share later). While God always has the gifts Himself, whether He shares certain gifts with every believer through out the whiole of time is up to Him.

As for numbering the gifts:

God is very much into numbering things within His Word. So I would say God would care about the number.
The lord JESUS has not ceased being LORD. His holy spirit has not ceased being his Holy Spirit.
You said in the Op.. "And discuss"..
But that was that your true honest intention?
Or was it to push an agenda...

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the OP posted about what was in the Bible regarding spiritual gifts. I didn’t see him asking for your personal opinion or experience.

The OP has the right to keep the thread in a theology based discussion if he wishes.

you start a thread in the appropriate area about your experiences.
Well i dont recall giving it ..or asking for yours ;) but feel free to give it

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everything Christ did is the gift of the Spirit.

At base, every human should be able to do what He did - which is why He said don't marvel at what He did. He even said we would do greater exploits which is not to say we will be better than Him, it is to say what the Word of God did as "miracles" is what the images of the Most High God should be doing at base. If we have an iota of faith, raising the dead and healing the sick is the least we can do. We are made in the image of the Most High God.

The gifts of the spirit are in operation to this day.
Yup

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You referencing numerology... Do you do palm readings too...

Biblical numerics is not the same as Numerology. Numerology is false because it is about letting numbers alone (That are not always exclusive to God’s Word) to control your life instead of God. Numerology can also be about predicting the future (Which is also false). However, Biblical Numerics is primarily about showing how the Bible is divine in origin. Biblical numerics also can teach us certain wisdom or knowledge, too.

For it is written,

“Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.” (Revelation 13:18).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The lord JESUS has not ceased being LORD. His holy spirit has not ceased being his Holy Spirit.
You said in the Op.. "And discuss"..
But that was that your true honest intention?
Or was it to push an agenda...

Please do not read into more than what I stated. It is not a contradiction to let others discuss on this topic and then for me to also share my view on the Bible in regards to OP. Please stop being so adversarial, and contribute to the thread topic please.

Anyways, may God bless you.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you talking about the 9 fruits of the Spirit?
I am aware of these.

Galatians 5:22-23.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace,
longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Not Directly Stated or Implied Gifts:

1. Love.
2. Joy.
3. Peace.
4. Long-suffering (Patience).
5. Faith.
6. Self Control (Disciplined)
7. Goodness.
8. Gentleness.
9. Humbleness (Meekness - KJV).​

They are called the fruits of he Spirit, and I believe they are given to every true born again believer. But they have to continue in the Spirit by their walking in the Spirit. Believers do not always continue to abide in GOD after they repented (or sought forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ). I remember the first time I accepted Jesus as my Savior. I had a love, joy, and peace like I had never known before. These things were indeed gifts from GOD after I had accepted Him. It is true, these things I had to continue in with GOD (of course).

Oh, and yes; I can see these as gifts (even though they are not explicitly stated as gifts). For they were not something that an unbeliever has. An unbeliever may have an imitation of these gifts or fruits, but they are not the real deal that come from GOD.

I see other gifts that are not so explicitly stated as gifts in 1 Corinthians 7, too.

1 Corinthians 7:3, 1 Corinthians 7:7

3 "Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband."

7 "...I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that."

Other Indirectly stated or Implied gifts:

1. Celibacy
2. Marriage​

However, there appear to be more gifts listed for the church in the Bible besides these.
The other part of the question is: Which of the following gifts (below) are still in operation today?

Romans 12:6-8

6 "Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness."

1. Prophecy.*
2. Ministry.
3. Teaching.
4. Exhortation.
5. Giving.
6. Leadership.
7. Mercy.​

1 Corinthians 12:4, 1 Corinthians 12:8-11.

4 "Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit."

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."

1. Word of Wisdom.
2. Word of Knowledge.
Faith (Repeat).
3. Gifts of Healing.
4. Working of Miracles.
Prophecy* (Repeat).
5. Discerning of Spirits.
Tongues (The speaking of other known languages without study).
Interpretation of Tongues.
Note: Many Charismatic groups list two other gifts, such as: "Administration," and "Apostleship" (Operations - KJV) as a part of this list of gifts (1 Corinthians 12:5-6). But in reading the text, that is not what it is saying here. It is merely saying that there differences of administrations and differences of operations by the working of the Spirit. It does not specifically state these things as unique gifts. While different administrations and operations are no doubt something that is the working of GOD, they are too broad of terms to label them as gifts in being unique all on their own. While being an Apostle, Pastor, etc. is a gift (Ephesians 4), just talking about these office in general terms does not mean that the whole of all these offices is a unique and distinctive gift. So many Charismatic groups are just blinding picking out words in the Bible out of context here without really reading the text normally.

Ephesians 4:7, Ephesians 4:11-12

7 "But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ."

11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:"

1. Gift of Apostleship.
Prophecy or Gift of Being a Prophet* (Repeat).
2. Gift of Evangelism (A winner of souls).
3. Gift of Pastorship.
4. Gift of Teaching.​

1 Peter 4:7-11

7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.
8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
9 Use hospitality one to another without grudging.
10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

1. Being Sober and Watchful in Prayer.
Love (Repeat).
2. Hospitality (Sharing one's home or resources with others; Especially brothers).​

I am sure there are more that are not specifically mentioned. Any specific working of God in our life is a gift. So others have listed things like Involuntary Poverty - 2 Corinthians 8:9 (that is not specifically mentioned as a gift), etc.

Other Not Directly Stated or Implied Gifts:

1. Involuntary Poverty
2. Dreams (Acts of the Apostles 2:17).
Visions (Acts of the Apostles 2:17).

Side Note:

I believe the gifts colored in red above are no longer in operation (Although I will not say that every person is not operating by GOD if they are claiming to do these things unless I investigate their beliefs and or I see them do it (via video) and discern what they are doing is truly of GOD). The gifts colored in blue means that this gift has changed to being exclusive to using the Bible alone as their form of prophecy (i.e. They know Eschatology by the Bible correctly) and they are not creating any new prophecies or revelations to add to the Bible; They are also not claiming that God is helping them with minor future predictions in their life, either.

So you acknowledge the following as biblical Gifts of the spirit
  1. Working of Miracles.
  2. Tongues
  3. Interpretation of Tongues.
  4. Apostleship
  5. Dreams
  6. Visions
but reject that they are still in operation. The "leftovers" has a void for ordained authority by the Holy Spirit and only look to the gifts that can be rationalised in the natural. Do you believe in sola scriptura? If so then how does scripture inform us on this doctrine of diminished gifts of the Holy Spirit as you propose?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Biblical numerics is not the same as Numerology. Numerology is false because it is about letting numbers alone (That are not always exclusive to God’s Word) to control your life instead of God. Numerology can also be about predicting the future (Which is also false). However, Biblical Numerics is primarily about showing how the Bible is divine in origin. Biblical numerics also can teach us certain wisdom or knowledge, too.

For it is written,

“Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.” (Revelation 13:18).
There is a line of thought that the text was misread and translates to the form "submit." .the arabic world for Islam.

There are many thoughts ,many theories, many rabbit holes.
In tbe late 70s was a book.titled " the seal of God" .. Dealing with like topics of hebrew and greek number values of each character .etc.
But none.of it goves wisdom nor understanding.
Just more theories and rabbit holes.
Its God ..not.numbers ,who gives understanding .by His Holy Spirit.
Who is alive and Active today along with All his abilities and attributes called -gifts.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  1. Working of Miracles.
  2. Tongues
  4. Apostleship
  5. Dreams
  6. Visions
but reject that they are still in operation. The "leftovers" has a void for ordained authority by the Holy Spirit and only look to the gifts that can be rationalised in the natural. Do you believe in sola scriptura? If so then how does scripture inform us on this doctrine of diminished gifts of the Holy Spirit as you propose?
it doesnt.
This spiral of circular argument runs on and on round and round .
But never..not once Can Any direct unambiguous scripture be presented to back the self imagined theory.
And this thread will be no different

• Agree
Reactions: DamianWarS
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well, the gifts for the believer are not infinite. We are not God.

As for the numbering of the gifts mentioned in different ways in the Bible:

I don’t think this kind of numbering would be meaningless to God. God numbers many things within His Word and gives an ascribed meaning to those numbers (So as to glorify His Word; And not as a means to use these numbers so as to run our lives by them and or neither to predict the future, either).
I think that the list is given as examples.. the numbers of ways that you can bless the people of this earth and glorify God.. are endless.

However, that's just my opinion. I don't get all hung up on not having one of the gifts in the list... if I am benefiting society with shining my light and through my life showing that God lives in me.... So be it.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that the list is given as examples.. the numbers of ways that you can bless the people of this earth and glorify God.. are endless.

However, that's just my opinion. I don't get all hung up on not having one of the gifts in the list... if I am benefiting society with shining my light and through my life showing that God lives in me.... So be it.
how is your light so shined?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  1. Working of Miracles.
  2. Tongues
  4. Apostleship
  5. Dreams
  6. Visions

Of course I believe in Sola Scriptura. I have recently created a Biblical defense for Sola Scriptura in this thread here. In fact, my belief in Sola Scriptura has helped to strengthen my Biblical argument as to why certain gifts have ceased. Anyways, to see my reasons (according to the Bible) why I think certain gifts have ceased, check out my post #81.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Paul says not all these gifts are available to every believer even when all of them were in effect in the early church at one time. So I do not see them as examples but as gifts from God that He gives to us based on what He feels is best for us. While some gifts are great, without love, they are nothing (1 Corinthians 13). Loving God and loving our neighbor are the two greatest things we can do in this life and it is not just having a gift. A person can have a gift, but if they do not use it, or use it in love, they are like a tinkling cymbal. We have to as believers live effectively for our Lord. Gifts are good, but we have to focus more on obedience to His Word to overcome in this life.

You said:

It is good you do not get hung up on not having a particular gift on the list. We were not meant to have all of them. Each believer (who is truly faithful to the Lord) has a gift that edifies the whole body. Or at least their gift is supposed to edify the body. In these last days, less and less are truly seeking to follow Jesus these days. So it is hard to find too many brethren who truly are seeking to walk as Jesus walked. Today, people want the physical bread and not the spiritual bread.

Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a line of thought that the text was misread and translates to the form "submit." .the arabic world for Islam.

There are many thoughts ,many theories, many rabbit holes.
In tbe late 70s was a book.titled " the seal of God" .. Dealing with like topics of hebrew and greek number values of each character .etc.
But none.of it goves wisdom nor understanding.
Just more theories and rabbit holes.
Its God ..not.numbers ,who gives understanding .by His Holy Spirit.
Who is alive and Active today along with All his abilities and attributes called -gifts.

First, that really does not explain Revelation 13:18 in what it says plainly.
I know, it is probably uncomfortable for you to hear it, but truth always has a way of doing that. I imagine that your thinking that the verse cannot be saying that, right? It has to mean something else. My answer: Sorry. It means what it says. Just believe it.

Second, you have to re-write the entire Bible if you plan on ignoring the ascribed meaning given to numbers in the Bible. Different numbers have a repeated meaning to them through out the whole of Scripture. Noah was in the Ark for 40 days and 40 nights while it rained. He was in a trial of sorts because I am sure that ride was not a smooth one when it was storming outside. Jesus was also in a trial or test. He fasted for 40 days and 40 nights. This is just the tip of the iceberg. If a person actually did a study on Biblical numerics, I imagine someone out there would be so in awe of God's Word in being divine that they would be on their knees in their closet for a while giving glory to God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2018
Boring
✟8,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gifts
  1. The Word of Knowledge
  2. The Word of Wisdom
  3. The Gift of Prophecy
  4. The Gift of Faith
  5. The Gift of Healing
  6. The Working of Miracles
  7. The Discerning of Spirits
  8. Different Kinds of Tongues
  9. The Interpretation of Tongues
Many people make claims ... however to determine if the all the claims made are true is impossible because we don't personally know everybody in the world making claims and have not been present to witness them (claims) and don't have access to all the details. Although certainly possible.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe my God can do anything he wants, and can even or may even "break a rule" for me or someone else every now and then or again...

I know this from experience and by experiencing it, and seeing, thinking and feeling it/Him first hand...?

I'm not going to place any limits on my God, is what I have decided for me and my house... Or say he's not, or is no longer capable of, something, or a particular thing or anything anymore, ever again...

I'm not going to not believe that "anything and all things are possible with God"...

And, God will break or violate even his own rules sometimes, seen him do it for me, know he can, just not if and when he always will always, or all the time though...

But did he place certain rules or laws or restrictions on some things for himself though, I guess is what this thread is about I guess...?

And if he did, would he ever break it that, or lift that barrier I guess you could say, for someone or certain someone's, sometimes, or not...?

I know some things are meant to have ended or ceased, but does that mean God will not do them ever again in any or all cases now anymore, or not...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm not going to not believe that "anything and all things are possible
I know some things are meant to have ended or ceased, but does that mean God will not do them ever again in any or all cases now anymore, or not...?

God Bless!
The issue is less “can” God do it, to me and more “is God Perfect”.

Perfection is one of God’s attributes. Just like Jesus Christ, fully God and fully man, Perfectly kept the Law.

God is held to Truth because He is Truth.

When God has it doctrine in His Word that the gift or gifts have ceased, God, being Truth at His core, could not put it in His Word if it were not True.

When we look at ourselves or our lives, we look to find truth in ourselves because we are sinful, fallen human beings.

But that is NOT an attribute of God.

So we know a God only capable of Truth, can only be Truth.

God doesn’t change His mind about something He has documented in His Word. He cannot be not Truth.

Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0