How many gifts of the Spirit are mentioned in the Bible, and which ones are still operating today?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You're mixing ministries up with Spiritual gifts. Spiritual gifts are given by The Holy Spirit, ministries are given by our Lord Jesus to outfit His church.

And all of the gifts do operate currently. The Holy Spirit has not stopped giving out His gifts, and The Lord Jesus has not stopped giving out His ministries.

If so, then show us in the Bible those passages that talk about the gifts as being ministries only. Word of Wisdom does not sound like a ministry. It says it is a gift.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No it doesn't,...

Paul is talking about ministries here.

It says in 1 Corinthians 12:8, "one is given through the Spirit the word of wisdom."
If I give something to you..... what is that? It's a gift.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
If so, then show us in the Bible those passages that talk about the gifts as being ministries only. Word of Wisdom does not sound like a ministry. It says it is a gift.

Gifts operate as ministries also. An apostle is not a Spiritual gift one receives when they are filled with The Spirit, it is a ministry/office that The Lord Jesus gives.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Let me say something here,..

A lot of questions about the gifts in this thread are basic knowledge to us who actually operate in them.

We operate in some of the gifts on a personal level, such as praying in the tongues, interpreting tongues, and prophesying. Some of those same gifts can be given as a corporate ministry to edify that body of Christ when operated by The Holy Spirit.

A lot of people have assumptions without knowledge here on this subject, hence why I asked the question, have you been filled with The Holy Spirit after your water immersion. Without experiencing that 3rd step in faith, you will continue to just argue about this without knowing it personally.

I won't waste your time further friends, have fun.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Let me say something here,..

A lot of questions about the gifts in this thread are basic knowledge to us who actually operate in them.

There again is the insult.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are 20 gifts that are clearly stated in Scripture (Ephesians 2:8, Acts of the Apostles 2:38, Romans 12:6-8, 1 Corinthians 12:8-11, Ephesians 4:11-12) for the early church. 1 of these gifts (that is clearly stated) has changed in function or operation (Prophecy*); And 5 of these gifts (that are clearly stated) are not in operation today. So there are 15 operational gifts today (that are clearly stated in Scripture).

Here are the Gifts (that is clearly mentioned) that are in operation today:

1. Jesus (The Gift of God's Grace, Salvation).
2. Holy Ghost (Is a Gift).
3. Prophecy.*
4. Ministry (Preaching the Gospel).
5. Teaching.
6. Exhortation.
7. Giving.
8. Leadership.
9. Mercy.
10. Word of Wisdom.
11. Word of Knowledge.
12. Discerning Spirits.
13. Gift of Evangelism (Winner of Souls)
14. Gift of Pastorship.
15. Gift of Teaching.

Here are the Gifts (clearly mentioned) that are not in operation today:

1. Gifts of Healing,
2. Working of Miracles,
3. Tongues
4. Interpretation of Tongues
5. Gift of Apostleship.

Note:* Prophecy today is not like it was in the early church. The early church would predict future events and could give us new words that could be written down as Holy Scripture. Prophecy today is being able to have the power by the Spirit to be able to discern properly those texts in the Bible that deal with the End Times (i.e. Eschatology).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gifts
  1. The Word of Knowledge
  2. The Word of Wisdom
  3. The Gift of Prophecy
  4. The Gift of Faith
  5. The Gift of Healing
  6. The Working of Miracles
  7. The Discerning of Spirits
  8. Different Kinds of Tongues
  9. The Interpretation of Tongues
Many people make claims ... however to determine if the all the claims made are true is impossible because we don't personally know everybody in the world making claims and have not been present to witness them (claims) and don't have access to all the details. Although certainly possible.
What do you mean many people make claims ?

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
The gifts come in response to being filled with The Holy Spirit. Our perfect example for our Christian walk is Jesus, and we are to follow Him and obey Him, and that includes receiving The Holy Spirit after your water immersion.

Being filled with the Spirit is nothing to with receiving gifts. If you check out the dozen or so times that believers are filled with the Spirit in Acts, only one of those mentions a gift, tongues (at Pentecost). The one common characteristic that is associated with all of them is boldness.

Being filled is not a one time event. It can and should happen repeatedly in a believer's life. Eph 5:18 "but be filled with the Spirit", the tense of 'filled' is present imperative ie. be continually filled. The disciples were filled on multiple occasions. Peter was filled at Pentecost, he was filled again when he stood before the Sanhedrin in Acts 4:8, and filled again in Acts 4:31. Paul was filled in Acts 9:17, and again in Acts 13:9. Stephen was filled in Acts 6:3-5, and again in Acts 7:55.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There again is the insult.
?
You must be searching to be offended to find that an insult..
If two people discuss landing on the moon
But only one of them has done so.then to the one who has done so much of the info will be basic knowledge.
The other has no place to be offended
Unless thier motive is not to learn but rather to be beligerant.

• Agree
Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gifts
  1. The Word of Knowledge
  2. The Word of Wisdom
  3. The Gift of Prophecy
  4. The Gift of Faith
  5. The Gift of Healing
  6. The Working of Miracles
  7. The Discerning of Spirits
  8. Different Kinds of Tongues
  9. The Interpretation of Tongues
Many people make claims ... however to determine if the all the claims made are true is impossible because we don't personally know everybody in the world making claims and have not been present to witness them (claims) and don't have access to all the details. Although certainly possible.
These attributes of the holy spirit are not in or of themselves active.
But the living eternal Holy spirit by whom they come is fully alive and active in every way both possible and imposdible to man
For what is impossible with man is possible with God.
Indeed All things are possible to him who believes .

Upvote 0

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟252,447.00
Faith
Christian
You're given 9 gifts from The Holy Spirit when filled with Him, so I say 9.

The list in 1 Cor 12:8-10 are described as gifts (v4).
The list in 1 Cor 12:28-30 are described as gifts (v31).
The list in Rom 12:6-8 are described as gifts (v6).
The list in Eph 4:11-12 are described as gifts (v7).

So 20 or so.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
?
But only one of them has done so.then to the one who has done so much of the info will be basic knowledge.

That's why I don't enter into many of these discussions anymore. People without the filling of The Holy Spirit are arguing from a position of only book knowledge, not actual experience. They are at a major disadvantage by not having His filling in their life, so they make a lot of mistakes in their scripture posts.

Like I've said, they've taken two steps and quit on the path of faith.

Upvote 0

WESTOZZIE

Site Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
WA
Visit site
✟54,255.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How many gifts of the Spirit are mentioned in the Bible, and which ones are still operating today?

And discuss.
God is still I AM..therefore all of God is as you say "still operating". He doesn't change...and who cares about numbering gifts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
?
I believe the OP posted about what was in the Bible regarding spiritual gifts. I didn’t see him asking for your personal opinion or experience.

The OP has the right to keep the thread in a theology based discussion if he wishes.

you start a thread in the appropriate area about your experiences.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's why I don't enter into many of these discussions anymore. People without the filling of The Holy Spirit are arguing from a position of only book knowledge, not actual experience. They are at a major disadvantage by not having His filling in their life, so they make a lot of mistakes in their scripture posts.

Or it could be that people have experiences and let them shadow their theology.

I’ll take the Bible over an experience any day. At least one knows the Bible is God’s Word.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The ever present difference between theoretical knowledge and experiential knowledge.
But allowence has to be made that both can be wrong in some aspects.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Or it could be that people have experiences and let them shadow their theology.

I’ll take the Bible over an experience any day. At least one knows the Bible is God’s Word.

Or The Holy Spirit teaches by experience and your guessing at best.

Book knowledge on this subject is not enough, simply because you have no real experience to base your claim on, no personal knowledge to what you state, no confidence in what you say.

For instance, do you know how to step out in personal faith and operate the gift of tongues in prayer to GOD?

Upvote 0