How many gifts of the Spirit are mentioned in the Bible, and which ones are still operating today?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure you have read the passages before,...

Please do not assume I have not read and studied the New Testament and act like I don't know what His Word says.

You said:
Mat 3:13 Then Jesus arrives from Galilee to the Jordan, to John, to be baptized by him.
Mat 3:14 But John restrained Him, saying, I have need to be baptized by You, and do You come to me?
Mat 3:15 But answering, Jesus said to him, Allow it now, for it is becoming to us this way to fulfill all righteousness. Then he allows Him.
Mat 3:16 And having been baptized, Jesus went up immediately from the water. And, behold! The heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God coming down as a dove, and coming upon Him.
Mat 3:17 And behold! A voice out of the heavens saying, This is My Son, the Beloved, in whom I have been well-pleased.

Do we not follow Him?

I was asking you about a passage in reference to the 9 gifts.
Please post that passage for us.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't assume anything about you, I just asked the question, do we follow Jesus and His example of being filled with The Spirit?

Arguing about the gifts without actually operating in them, is like reading a book on football and applying for the job as coach because you think you know everything about football out of that book.

The gifts come in response to being filled with The Holy Spirit. Our perfect example for our Christian walk is Jesus, and we are to follow Him and obey Him, and that includes receiving The Holy Spirit after your water immersion.

Then you will know about the gifts because you operate in them.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I didn't assume anything about you, I just asked the question,

But an assumption was implied in the question. Usually it does not go over too well when you ask other Christians on a forum if they may have not read a particular passage in the Bible. That would be like asking a lawyer if he went to law school, or a mechanic if he has his license.

You said:
do we follow Jesus and His example of being filled with The Spirit?

This is very important to follow Jesus and abide in the Spirit. Jesus also operated by the power of the Father and by His own power in being the Eternal Living Word. God is triune. Yes, Jesus suppressed His divine attribute of Omniscience (i.e. to know all things), but Jesus also operated by His own power, as well. For Jesus is GOD who entered into the flesh and blood body of a man.

You said:
Arguing about the gifts without actually operating in them, is like reading a book on football and applying for the job as coach because you think you know everything about football out of that book.

Okay, now you are assuming something about me (Which contradicts your previous statement).

The gifts come in response to being filled with The Holy Spirit. Our perfect example for our Christian walk is Jesus, and we are to follow Him and obey Him, and that includes receiving The Holy Spirit after your water immersion.

Then you will know about the gifts because you operate in them.

This is not true. Not everyone is given all the gifts. The Bible says,
"But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way."
(1 Corinthians 12:31).

29 "Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"
(1 Corinthians 12:29-30).

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:"
(1 Corinthians 12:8-10).

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This is not true. Not everyone is given all the gifts.

You quoted a section talking about ministries, not gifts.

The gifts have corporate ministries for the body of Christ. Does everyone operate with a corporate ministry of speaking in tongues? No, but they will have that gift of tongues to operate personally in prayer with GOD if they are filled with The Spirit.

Things that you learn by experience when receiving the filling of The Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's not about any claim.

If you believe the words of Jesus and follow Him, then you will do the things He did also. If He received the filling of The Holy Spirit after water immersion "to fulfill all righteousness" then we are to do the same as He.

I'm glad I'm not one of those having to explain to Jesus why I only took two steps in faith and quit.
I don’t know if we can assume that when Jesus was baptized that He also needed to be or was at that time filled with the Holy Spirit.

John the Baptist was foretold that he would see the Messiah before his death and would receive a sign from God as to who the Messiah was.

I am not sure that the sign of the dove by the Holy Spirit was not just a sign to John the Baptist.

Jesus ALWAYS being fully God and fully man, would not have needed the Holy Spirit, per se

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

The gifts have corporate ministries for the body of Christ. Does everyone operate with a corporate ministry of speaking in tongues? No, but they will have that gift of tongues to operate personally in prayer with GOD if they are filled with The Spirit.
Come on ...

Then according to you, everyone saved by Christ speaks in tongues.

And we know that is not true

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I don’t know if we can assume that when Jesus was baptized that He also needed to be or was at that time filled with the Holy Spirit.

John the Baptist was foretold that he would see the Messiah before his death and would receive a sign from God as to who the Messiah was.

I am not sure that the sign of the dove by the Holy Spirit was not just a sign to John the Baptist.

Jesus ALWAYS being fully God and fully man, would not have needed the Holy Spirit, per se

I don't speculate on what if's and what not's.

Scripture has Jesus receiving The Holy Spirit after His water immersion. It's fairly easy to understand that section.

Just like Jesus, the disciples were filled with The Holy Spirit, the gentiles in Cornelius's house were filled The Holy Spirit and operated in the gifts, and a vast amount of folks beyond the two groups of people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Come on ...

Then according to you, everyone saved by Christ speaks in tongues.

And we know that is not true

Did I say that?

The gifts don't come apart from being filled with The Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did I say that?

The gifts don't come apart from being filled with The Holy Spirit.

While this is true for most of the gifts, this would not be true of the first gift we receive (Which is Jesus, i.e. God's grace by which we are saved, that is the gift of God - See Ephesians 2:8).

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are 9 specific gifts of "The Spirit" listed in scripture, and all of them operate if you seek the filling of The Holy Spirit beyond being born again and water immersed, just like Jesus did.

A good portion of people refuse to take that 3rd step in faith. They give up after 2 steps.
There is also a list in Isaiah: wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord.

These are not opposed to the gifts mentioned in the NT, but are even more that the Holy Spirit gives.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't speculate on what if's and what not's.

Scripture has Jesus receiving The Holy Spirit after His water immersion. It's fairly easy to understand that section.

Just like Jesus, the disciples were filled with The Holy Spirit, the gentiles in Cornelius's house were filled The Holy Spirit and operated in the gifts, and a vast amount of folks beyond the two groups of people.
Why don’t you share those verses

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Things that you learn by experience when receiving the filling of The Holy Spirit.

The Bible says that they are gifts very clearly in the text. Do you just assume that the word "gift" is not in these passages?

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You're mixing ministries up with Spiritual gifts. Spiritual gifts are given by The Holy Spirit, ministries are given by our Lord Jesus to outfit His church.

And all of the gifts do operate currently. The Holy Spirit has not stopped giving out His gifts, and The Lord Jesus has not stopped giving out His ministries.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
But an assumption was implied in the question. Usually it does not go over too well when you ask other Christians on a forum if they may have not read a particular passage in the Bible. That would be like asking a lawyer if he went to law school, or a mechanic if he has his license.

This is very important to follow Jesus and abide in the Spirit. Jesus also operated by the power of the Father and by His own power in being the Eternal Living Word. God is triune. Yes, Jesus suppressed His divine attribute of Omniscience (i.e. to know all things), but Jesus also operated by His own power, as well. For Jesus is GOD who entered into the flesh and blood body of a man.

Okay, now you are assuming something about me (Which contradicts your previous statement).

This is not true. Not everyone is given all the gifts. The Bible says,
"But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way."
(1 Corinthians 12:31).

29 "Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"
(1 Corinthians 12:29-30).

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:"
(1 Corinthians 12:8-10).
That guy will get reported to the mods before this thread is done me thinks

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is also a list in Isaiah: wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord.

These are not opposed to the gifts mentioned in the NT, but are even more that the Holy Spirit gives.

Thank you for that. Although, Wisdom and knowledge are mentioned in the NT as gifts. See my post #7.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible says that they are gifts very clearly in the text. Do you just assume that the word "gift" is not in these passages?

No it doesn't,...

1Co 12:7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit to profit withal.
1Co 12:8 For to one is given through the Spirit the word of wisdom; and to another the word of knowledge, according to the same Spirit:
1Co 12:9 to another faith, in the same Spirit; and to another gifts of healings, in the one Spirit;
1Co 12:10 and to another workings of miracles; and to another prophecy; and to another discernings of spirits: to another divers kinds of tongues; and to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 but all these worketh the one and the same Spirit, dividing to each one severally even as he will.

Paul is talking about ministries here.

Upvote 0