• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

How many Democrats will NOT vote for impeachment?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by hislegacy, Dec 12, 2019.

1. 1-3

53.3%
  2. 4-6

40.0%
  3. 7-10

6.7%
  4. 11 or more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+18,308
    Agnostic
    Single
    Who is "the supreme leader" and what are the consequences for defying him/her?

2. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,218
    Presbyterian
    Single
    LOL! I hear the Trump campaign is hiring. Always convenient when the incumbent gets to write the ballot.

3. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+7,577
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    my reference was to Nancy Pelosi. You think anyone has the nerve to not follow all her directives?

4. TLK Valentine

+18,308
    Agnostic
    Single
    That remains to be seen. Personally, I expect a small amount of dissent in the ranks, but nothing that's going to stop the passing of the articles.

So I think there will be some, but hardly substantial, dissent. If not, it would make her, if not necessarily a "supreme" leader, but certainly a far better leader than her counterpart on the other side of the aisle... don't you think?

Pelosi is smart enough to keep her eyes on the prize -- pass the articles of impeachment -- and not lose focus by demanding slavish loyalty from her entire party.

5. Arcangl86

Arcangl86 Newbie

+3,298
    Anglican
    Single
    US-Green
    There were three Democrats who voted against the impeachment inquiry. There are other members who are not afraid to openly oppose Speaker pelosi on other issues. They probably will vote for impeachment, but not out of party loyalty or fear of being primaried.

6. KCfromNC

KCfromNC Regular Member

+7,284
    Atheist
    Private
    That's not true. His testimony discussed a number of facts which led him to his conclusion.

7. jacks

jacks Er Victus Supporter

+1,005
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Which three?

8. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+22,922
    Anglican
    Married
    Whew. There is no reason to reach that conclusion.

For one thing, the vote against the impeachment inquiry was not nearly as important to Pelosi as this vote. And for another, opposing her "on other issues" is quite obviously not as forgivable, from her POV, as voting against this one on which so much is riding. As for a fear of being primaried, that's what all the media have mentioned as part of the bind those people supposedly feel they are in, so I see no reason to dismiss it out of hand.

9. TLK Valentine

+18,308
    Agnostic
    Single
    I was thinking the same thing. It's hard to tell if any House Dems fear Pelosi, because I don't recall ever seeing her make any kind of overt attempt to generate that kind of response.

People just seem to listen to her (most of the time), because, well... it just seems like a good idea to do so. What a novel concept!

10. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+3,875
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    As I understand it, the impeachment inquiry was a closed vote, and this by order of Pelosi. The individual votes were not on the record, so there was no heat. That will not be the case with the impeachment vote. And those 31 Dems in Trump districts will have increasingly unfavorable public support to think about, and now the UK Tory landslide. Recall that the 2016 Brexit vote presaged the Trump populist revolution.

For impeachment to fail in the House, the Dems would have to lose about 17 of their own votes, if there are no crossovers from the other side. Not easy, considering their longstanding pattern of voting en bloc, but possible.

11. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+22,922
    Anglican
    Married
    Have you ever been involved in politics by holding some leadership position in a political party? It sounds from this post that the answer is "no."

12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+22,922
    Anglican
    Married
    Pelosi wouldn't allow that. But she can easily allow four or five "no" votes and, in the process, try to make it look like everyone was free to vote his conscience, yada yada yada.

13. TLK Valentine

+18,308
    Agnostic
    Single
    True enough. Have you? I'm betting the same answer.

Do you recall her making any kind of overt attempt to get people to fear her? I'm betting the same answer on that one, as well.

14. TLK Valentine

+18,308
    Agnostic
    Single
    You seem convinced that Pelosi has some sort of authoritarian stranglehold on the House Democrats. Any particular reason?

15. paul1149

paul1149 that your faith might rest in the power of God Supporter

+3,875
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    A bit of realpolitik there, concerning the leader of the party of personal expression? You well might be correct.

16. yougottabekidding

yougottabekidding Member

+242
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Republican
    I think a valid side issue would be to ask how many Democratic Politicians will loose their re-election for voting for impeachment.

Will the House Leadership change in 2020?

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Junior Member

+3,228
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    we need two columns

estimated # of Democrats that do not vote for impeachment -
    estimated # of democrats that will change party to GOP --

Both numbers are important and reflect part of the impact this process is having on the democratic party

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2019
  18. LovebirdsFlying

LovebirdsFlying My husband drew this cartoon of me. Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+3,208
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    [​IMG]

MOD HAT ON

We've had a small cleanup. If you've had a removal and didn't get notified, that's the reason.

MOD HAT OFF​

19. usexpat97

usexpat97 kewlness

+1,218
    Presbyterian
    Single
    No matter. The speculation is over. The 1-3 votes have it.

20. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

+9,039
    Christian
    Adjectives modify nouns.