How many Americans would support a Theocracy?

Would you support a more theocratic government in the US?

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm calm, so are the 100 forum members reporting you and your little friend for blasphemy right now.

Go to an atheist forum if you want to mock the Christian God.

I don't think you understand what mockery is. All I did was show that your argument that "God is real, it says so in the Bible" is not really an effective thing to argue. As I showed the same can be said of Krishna or any particular religion's god. That's not blasphemy.

Wanna report me simply because I disagree with you, go ahead. I've broken no rules.

Upvote 0

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
No reason to insult my faith, thanks.

Especially since this is a Christian forum. Know your place.

I'm not insulting your faith. I'm merely stating facts. Unless that's not allowed anymore...?

So if you don't follow the Bible or believe in God why are you even here?

If you really want to know...

1) I discovered that there were actual atheist forums on the internet.
2) Didn't really find the concept that interesting. Just a bunch of people getting worked up agreeing with each other? Not really my thing.
3) Then I thought, "maybe there are Christian forums out there"
4) Googled, --> here.
5) Then I saw the Creation and Evolution forum, and in particular this post here, and I thought, hmm, maybe I'll learn something by posting on here.
6) Join up
7) Utterly disappointed
8) Still stay, for some reason.

Go figure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_maize

Feb 23, 2010
✟15,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm calm, so are the 100 forum members reporting you and your little friend for blasphemy right now.

Go to an atheist forum if you want to mock the Christian God.

With all due respect he/she was responding in kind to your comment. Thats pretty far from degrading Christianity, compared to other statements.

Upvote 0

Creech

Senior Veteran
Apr 7, 2012
New York
✟15,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
So oppressing others is entirely appropriate if voted for on a local level, but inappropriate if done on a national level?

Huh?

That's a silly assumption. If people want to set up religious communities with a theocracy, they should have the right to do so. If a person feels they are being religiously oppressed, they can leave. Simple as that.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
That's a silly assumption. If people want to set up religious communities with a theocracy, they should have the right to do so. If a person feels they are being religiously oppressed, they can leave. Simple as that.
It would not be a case of "feeling religiously oppressed". It would be a case of being oppressed. Suppose you're an atheist in a Christian heavy community who votes to establish it into a theocracy. You are then unable to by local law speak against Christianity or even be a non-Christian. You are demoted into a second class citizen.

The majority oppressing the minority is unjust, be it by votes or by power.

Upvote 0

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They both showed absolute disrespect for our faith. Imagine if I went to a muslim forum and compared the Quaran to a Harry Potter book. Being reported for that would be an extreme underreaction.

It's an analogy that shows that the existence of a particular book does not indicate that what's in it is true. The existence of the Bhagavad Gita does not indicate the existence of Krishna, for example.

Upvote 0

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
They both showed absolute disrespect for our faith. Imagine if I went to a muslim forum and compared the Quaran to a Harry Potter book. Being reported for that would be an extreme underreaction.

But you're not Muslim. And neither are the rest of the Christians on this forum. And for what it's worth, I never said anything about the similarities between the Bible and Harry Potter. If you construed my post as implying as such, it might just be because in the context in which you posted, they are actually quite similar.

You're actually right, though in terms of impression rather than actually in terms of content. I have little respect for Christianity (though I have utmost respect for many Christians, one of whom is my best friend). But my post about Harry Potter conveyed none of that respect (or rather, lack thereof). God may be real. But the Bible is not sufficient evidence for his existence.

Upvote 0

kelkel

Jul 31, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
✟1,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But you're not Muslim. And neither are the rest of the Christians on this forum. And for what it's worth, I never said anything about the similarities between the Bible and Harry Potter. If you construed my post as implying as such, it might just be because in the context in which you posted, they are actually quite similar.

And you are not Christian, as you've made very clear, and yet you come to our forum and insult us by comparing our religion to a Harry Potter book. I'm sick of seeing Christians be stepped on and people get away with it, I gotta draw the line somewhere. I'm afraid your user account will pay very dearly for this.

Upvote 0

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
When Jesus returns all our questions/doubts will be answered and our doctrinal disagreements will be settled once and for all. Until them - NO!

You know they used to hang Quakers on Boston Common. Yes, I'm talking Boston, MA. It was a crime punishable by death to be a Quaker. So, yeah - until Jesus is physically present on planet earth - then NO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chris81

Servant to Christ
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa
✟11,860.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
No, it makes absolutely no more or less sense whether you believe in God or not. The crucial variable is whether God exists or not. If God(s) existed and formed an active, tangible part of life, then a theocracy would make sense. If God doesn't exist, then a theocracy is just crazy people telling other crazy people what to do.

That's not quite true, a theocracy is when crazy people tell sane people what to do, regardless of whether or not God exists.

Upvote 0

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
And you are not Christian, as you've made very clear, and yet you come to our forum and insult us by comparing our religion to a Harry Potter book. I'm sick of seeing Christians be stepped on and people get away with it, I gotta draw the line somewhere. I'm afraid your user account will pay very dearly for this.

If you disagree, please show me how it is different in terms of being real books with some fictional characters.

Upvote 0

Chris81

Servant to Christ
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa
✟11,860.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I would never want theocracy on a national level, but if people decide on a local level they want one, then they should have that right. I would support one 100%.

I voted yes.

Right, I agree with this. For example a commune or an Amish community. If people of like mind choose to live in accordance a strict set of religious rules, its their right and none of our business.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Right, I agree with this. For example a commune or an Amish community. If people of like mind choose to live in accordance a strict set of religious rules, its their right and none of our business.
Unless of course, you're in that community when your community decide to run by a set of religious instructions. Then it de facto because your business.

Upvote 0

Chris81

Servant to Christ
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa
✟11,860.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Unless of course, you're in that community when your community decide to run by a set of religious instructions. Then it de facto because your business.

What, I don't get what you are saying could you please explain?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Kelkel,these forums are open to all. Different viewpoints get,theoretically, equal airtime. It has been said before, but one must have a thick skin when wading into a forum such as this.

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
kelkel said:
This is the most interesting topic I've seen in this forum, props for that.

Don't you guys feel like a theocracy could mean a system/country ruled by God? I feel like it's just crazy that most people here have voted "no". Wouldn't you want to live in a country where God has put himself 100% in charge and no human government?

Amen, I'd love to have God come down and rule! It would truly be heaven on earth! :thumbsup: However a theocracy simply means that the church is the government, not necessarily God...

Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It makes more sense but regardless, as a non-theist I would rather not be subject to the rules and regulations of a religion I do not believe in.

Same here.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
What, I don't get what you are saying could you please explain?
Creech is in favour of allowing local communities voting to become theocratic.

The consequences of that would be that minorities who happen to live there having the rights trampled on and being forced to move. It would create small pockets of religious apartheid in specific communities.

Upvote 0

kelkel

Jul 31, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
✟1,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Kelkel,these forums are open to all. Different viewpoints get,theoretically, equal airtime. It has been said before, but one must have a thick skin when wading into a forum such as this.

And I agree, but blasphemy, man? I just don't think a lot of people would put up with it if someone walked into a church and compared Jesus to Harry Potter, even if that church was open to all. You know what I'm sayin'?

Reactions: Creech
Upvote 0