How many Americans would support a Theocracy?

Would you support a more theocratic government in the US?

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
OK maybe you haven't read the Bible then because it's all in there.

Anyway, this topic makes the most sense if you believe in God...
It makes more sense but regardless, as a non-theist I would rather not be subject to the rules and regulations of a religion I do not believe in.

Upvote 0

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
OK maybe you haven't read the Bible then because it's all in there.

Anyway, this topic makes the most sense if you believe in God...

No, it makes absolutely no more or less sense whether you believe in God or not. The crucial variable is whether God exists or not. If God(s) existed and formed an active, tangible part of life, then a theocracy would make sense. If God doesn't exist, then a theocracy is just crazy people telling other crazy people what to do.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
No, it makes absolutely no more or less sense whether you believe in God or not. The crucial variable is whether God exists or not. If God(s) existed and formed an active, tangible part of life, then a theocracy would make sense. If God doesn't exist, then a theocracy is just crazy people telling other crazy people what to do.
That would depend on what God wanted.

If he acted as a dictator: Non Serviam.

Upvote 0

kelkel

Jul 31, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
✟1,216.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

OK, I normally don't discuss God in this forum because it's a politics forum, but whether God exists or not is not up for question. He exists. All you have to do is read the Bible, there's all the truth you need. That's a fact right there if you need facts. The Bible is a real book, it's not imaginary, and the truth about God's existance is in it.

Reactions: Creech
Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
OK, I normally don't discuss God in this forum because it's a politics forum, but whether God exists or not is not up for question. He exists. All you have to do is read the Bible, there's all the truth you need. That's a fact right there if you need facts. The Bible is a real book, it's not imaginary, and the truth about God's existance is in it.
You're convinced by the Bible.

We're not.

So what now? A Theocracy is still an abrogation of people's rights whether or not God exists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To be more accurate.

Some early colonies were founded by believers, but the earliest ones were chartered by various kings for profit.

Not.

To show a favorable light on the muslims and their crusades (or ignore them)... and to change our previous history and remove some of the greatest achievements...

:doh:

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
I would never want theocracy on a national level, but if people decide on a local level they want one, then they should have that right. I would support one 100%.

I voted yes.
So oppressing others is entirely appropriate if voted for on a local level, but inappropriate if done on a national level?

Huh?

Upvote 0
T

TeddyReceptus

For the record, I don't want a theocracy either...

However, I don't think it's accurate or fair to pick a nation with a muslim theocracy and imply that every other theocracy would end the same way.

Any nation made up of people of different backgrounds that relies on one group's unique version of the untestable and not-to-be-questioned views of an invisible being is bound to fail one way or another.

Upvote 0

Redac

Jul 16, 2007
California
✟167,609.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
OK, I normally don't discuss Krishna in this forum because it's a politics forum, but whether Krishna exists or not is not up for question. He exists. All you have to do is read the Bhagavad Gita, there's all the truth you need. That's a fact right there if you need facts. The Bhagavad Gita is a real book, it's not imaginary, and the truth about Krishna's existance is in it.

I have replaced all references to the Christian God with "Krishna" and all references to the Bible with "Bhagavad Gita". Are you convinced of the supreme power of Krishna?

The question of God is not really relevant to this forum, but it is most certainly still up for question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Harry Potter is a real book.

That doesn't mean Voldemort is real.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟393,489.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Blasphemy
You will not insult or mock Christianity or any part of the Trinity-Father(God), Son(Jesus) and the Holy Spirit. Honest debate about the nature of God and Christianity is allowed, but derogatory remarks will be promptly removed.

Reactions: kelkel
Upvote 0