How many Americans would support a Theocracy?

Would you support a more theocratic government in the US?

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
A lot of the rhetoric around here about the state of American politics seems to bemoan the fact that the US is a secular state with freedom to have your own religious and moral views.

I am wondering who here would support a theocracy and why.

the·oc·ra·cy (th-kr-s)
n. pl. the·oc·ra·cies
1. A government ruled by or subject to religious authority.
2. A state so governed.

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.. Europe was basically a theocracy during the Dark Ages.
Not just the dark ages (which is an historic misnomer). There were so many religious wars in Europe's history that it makes Muslim strife look like amateur hour.

Reactions: ZaidaBoBaida
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saudi Arabia is more a monarchy than a theocracy. Iran would be a better example.

Good one, actually made me look up the definitions. According to the strict definition, I don't think Iran would be a pure "theocracy" either:

Theocracy is a form of government in which God is the Civil Ruler and the official policy is governed by immediate divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided, or is pursuant to the doctrine of a particular religion or religious group. From the perspective of the theocratic government, "God himself is recognized as the head" of the state. In a pure theocracy, the civil leader is believed to have a direct personal connection with God. Law proclaimed by the ruler is also considered a divine revelation, and hence the law of God.

While both Saudi Arabia and Iran maintain religious courts for all aspects of law and have religious police to maintain social compliance, their heads of state are not officially considered as being under divine guidance. They are however, both limited by Sharia law. The only difference is that Saudi Arabia is a monarchy and Iran is a republic. The CIA describes Iran as a theocratic republic and Saudi as a theocratic monarchy.

Upvote 0

abdAlSalam

Bearded Marxist
Sep 14, 2012
✟11,120.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
True, but it is still a monarchy.

If we dare tread into the land of the hypothetical, Saudi Arabia could become the most liberal monarchy seen in the middle east for hundreds of years. It is all at the behest of the current King. Thus Saudi Arabia is not a theocracy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True, but it is still a monarchy.

If we dare tread into the land of the hypothetical, Saudi Arabia could become the most liberal monarchy seen in the middle east for hundreds of years. It is all at the behest of the current King. Thus Saudi Arabia is not a theocracy.

Oh, now I get you. Good explanation, being there many times myself I am seeing a lot of progress lately, hopefully the next King maintains the trend.

Upvote 0