• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How Long Does The Pain Last?

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Some of you reading this may suggest know I had gall bladder removal surgery last Thursday. Some of you may not.

What I would like to know is from this who have had laproscopic surgery to remove your gall bladder how long did the pain last?

I really don't have general pain. I mean now and then it will throb, but it's not bad and doesn't last. The pain I'm asking about if the pain when you walk and cough. That is the worst for me. Coughing has me in tears.

• Prayers
Reactions: LaSorcia

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Some of you reading this may suggest know I had gall bladder removal surgery last Thursday. Some of you may not.

What I would like to know is from this who have had laproscopic surgery to remove your gall bladder how long did the pain last?

I really don't have general pain. I mean now and then it will throb, but it's not bad and doesn't last. The pain I'm asking about if the pain when you walk and cough. That is the worst for me. Coughing has me in tears.

I know exactly what you mean. I had surgery also, but for something other than my gall bladder. I had the same "coughing pain" for a couple of weeks afterwards. It's pretty severe at first but then tapers off until it finally goes away. If you had the surgery last Thursday, based on my experience, it will become more tolerable during this week and by the weekend it won't be bad at all. But you won't just wake up one morning and it's gone completely.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I know exactly what you mean. I had surgery also, but for something other than my gall bladder. I had the same "coughing pain" for a couple of weeks afterwards. It's pretty severe at first but then tapers off until it finally goes away. If you had the surgery last Thursday, based on my experience, it will become more tolerable during this week and by the weekend it won't be bad at all. But you won't just wake up one morning and it's gone completely.

Okay. Thank you!

I really don't like this surgeon. He was quick to get me out of the consult and he never came to visit me after the surgery when I was in recovery or just back at the room where they were waiting on me to drink, pee and get up and walk. He never even told me what to expect after surgery.

My fear right now is that when I see him next week on Thursday he'll send me right back to work. As an EMT, two weeks post abdominal surgery is not enough healing time. In routinely lift 200+ pounds and there is no light duty.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
if you get into an accident your injuries may prove to be more severe due to your healing that's ongoing.
Be careful.

This is why just because I can, doesn't mean I will. ;) Work just doesn't care. They want bodies in trucks. They don't care about anything else.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I had gall bladder surgery a few years back. My memory was that it was bad for about a week, and then it was better. I was given about a week's supply of narcotic pain medication, and for the first few days, the pain was bad enough that I was counting the minutes until I could take the next dose. Then one day I didn't really need the next dose, and Ibuprofen was fine. Then I didn't need the Ibuprofen. All this happened over the span of a week or so. It surprised me how quickly the pain diminished, given how intense it was initially.

When you see your doctor, tell him that your work requires lifting 200+ pounds. He might be able to write you a note saying it's not safe for you to do that kind of work for X more weeks, so you can show it to your supervisor. My work doesn't require lifting heavy weights, but it was a while before I could return to martial arts sparring, because of the abdominal strikes involved.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
He might be able to write you a note saying it's not safe for you to do that kind of work for X more weeks, so you can show it to your supervisor.

That is what I am hoping for.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,476.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Okay. Thank you!

I really don't like this surgeon. He was quick to get me out of the consult...

How quick though? How many minutes do you remember being in there. Seeing I'd know he'd know my condition after seeing x rays or MRIs I really wouldn't expect he have too much to say except the date of surgery. Not saying you're this way but some people like to chit chat and some doctors will have no part of it they're just all business. There is a truth that time to them is money. I had an eye surgeon once that I felt I didn't like....same reason as you. Had to go see him once a week for about a month after a surgruy. Then I noticed just how many are in the waiting rooms waiting to see him and I'm sure they don't mean to make one feel like your a product on an assepbly line as in next, next, next but sometimes they can't help that. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

...and he never came to visit me after the surgery when I was in recovery or just back at the room where they were waiting on me to drink, pee and get up and walk.

I know I'm speaking all in the doctor's favor here but he might have had a lot of surgeries after yours too and it's just go , go , go. His absence doesn't mean though he wasn't providing oversight. The medical team serving you were going through the check list for your recovery steps and sending reports to him. One might think of the whole team as the extension of your surgion as they're reporting back to him.

He never even told me what to expect after surgery.

Usually the hospital staff talks to a patient of the basic things you should know before they discharge one and provide paper work to take home with all that information repeated with telephone numbers on if one has any questions if they get confused at home. And I know you said your consultation felt rushed but that might have been a good question to ask to at that time. I'm sure he would have given an answer as it probably only involved a couple of sentences.

My fear right now is that when I see him next week on Thursday he'll send me right back to work. As an EMT, two weeks post abdominal surgery is not enough healing time. In routinely lift 200+ pounds and there is no light duty.

I'm sure you've studied all about this. This site (in the link below) says from two weeks to 6 weeks depending on just what the procedure entailed PLUS what type of work you do. First question he'll ask you is do they provide any light duty or you'll be able to tell him. I hardly think ANY doctor won't go by the standard protocol insisting no hard physical labor for 5 to 6 weeks.

How Long Will It Take to Recover after Gallbladder Surgery? (infobloom.com)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
How quick though? How many minutes do you remember being in there. Seeing I'd know he'd know my condition after seeing x rays or MRIs I really wouldn't expect he have too much to say except the date of surgery. Not saying you're this way but some people like to chit chat and some doctors will have no part of it they're just all business. There is a truth that time to them is money. I had an eye surgeon once that I felt I didn't like....same reason as you. Had to go see him once a week for about a month after a surgruy. Then I noticed just how many are in the waiting rooms waiting to see him and I'm sure they don't mean to make one feel like your a product on an assepbly line as in next, next, next but sometimes they can't help that. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I know I'm speaking all in the doctor's favor here but he might have had a lot of surgeries after yours too and it's just go , go , go. His absence doesn't mean though he wasn't providing oversight. The medical team serving you were going through the check list for your recovery steps and sending reports to him. One might think of the whole team as the extension of your surgion as they're reporting back to him.

Usually the hospital staff talks to a patient of the basic things you should know before they discharge one and provide paper work to take home with all that information repeated with telephone numbers on if one has any questions if they get confused at home. And I know you said your consultation felt rushed but that might have been a good question to ask to at that time. I'm sure he would have given an answer as it probably only involved a couple of sentences.

I'm sure you've studied all about this. This site (in the link below) says from two weeks to 6 weeks depending on just what the procedure entailed PLUS what type of work you do. First question he'll ask you is do they provide any light duty or you'll be able to tell him. I hardly think ANY doctor won't go by the standard protocol insisting no hard physical labor for 5 to 6 weeks.

How Long Will It Take to Recover after Gallbladder Surgery? (infobloom.com)

Thank you.

I was in his office for about five minutes. I have had other lesser surgeries before, and they explained everything. This one not so much.

If anything, I just know that I have to be my biggest advocate!

• Agree
Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I had gall bladder surgery a few years back. My memory was that it was bad for about a week, and then it was better. I was given about a week's supply of narcotic pain medication, and for the first few days, the pain was bad enough that I was counting the minutes until I could take the next dose. Then one day I didn't really need the next dose, and Ibuprofen was fine. Then I didn't need the Ibuprofen. All this happened over the span of a week or so. It surprised me how quickly the pain diminished, given how intense it was initially.

When you see your doctor, tell him that your work requires lifting 200+ pounds. He might be able to write you a note saying it's not safe for you to do that kind of work for X more weeks, so you can show it to your supervisor. My work doesn't require lifting heavy weights, but it was a while before I could return to martial arts sparring, because of the abdominal strikes involved.

So, I was only given another week and the surgeon wouldn't listen to me about the pain and only caring about what the incisions looked like. He cited that he treats Tampa Bay Buccaneers and they go back to work this soon. He almost didn't give me a week and wanted to send me back to work today.

So, my girlfriend said that I should let my work know that I am requesting another week afterward as I don't feel that I am ready with the kind of work that I do. Which I have done, I am waiting on a reply.

Upvote 0