Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Well, no matter how many sources I check online and elsewhere, apparently NOONE WANTS TO SAY the exact dates and duration of the Christmas season. You would think that such a fundamental holiday of Catholicism would have abundant information about itself stored up in the thousands of Catholic servers across the globe, BUT NO, that would make too much sense. [/exasperation]

My question is, what are the exact first and last days of Christmas, and how long does it last? I would greatly appreciate knowing this tidbit of Catholic information, esp. to combat claims that, since the 25th of December is past, it's "no longer Christmas." Thank you so much.

Via Cassian

Fuga mundi (flight from the world)
Dec 24, 2009
South
✟24,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Advent ended sundown on Dec 24. The Christmas season began sundown Dec. 24 with vespers. Source (a monk).

The close of the Christmas season in 2010 is with vespers on Sunday, Jan. 10, 2010.

Sunday Jan. 10 is the feast of the Baptism of the Lord and ends the Christmas season. The end of the feast is at vespers. Compline on Jan. 10 begins Ordinary Time. Source and More Confirmation. And note, this is in the USA. We have a different practice than other places, I think.

I hope this is correct! A liturgical expert can correct any errors, please.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Via Cassian

Dec 24, 2009
South
✟24,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, I could definitely be wrong... I was setting the liturgy books this morning and everything talked about the "octave" of Christmas...

But then again, I feel like epiphany seals the end of it.

I am confused now.

Yes, I think you are right about the Octave also having some type of designation as an "end." But how that works, I do not know. My sense is that there are layers of beginnings and endings in the Christmas season that have to do with history. I would have enjoyed being able to go the USCCB web page and finding the answer and an explanation. It may be there, but this old guy could not find it.

Upvote 0
M

Memento Mori

My RCIA director gave me a liturgical calendar that has Christmas ending on January 10 with the solemnity of the Baptism of the Lord.

Hey, while we're talking about this stuff I have a question about the term "solemnity" vs. "feast." I used solemnity above, but I wanted to make sure I was using it correctly so I looked it up. According to CatholicReference.net : Catholic Dictionary there are 14 solemnities (the Baptism of the Lord not being one of them) and they're the highest rank of feasts. However, I was taught in RCIA that "solemnity" and "feast" are interchangeable. I googled "solemnity of the Baptism of the Lord" and apparently that is used commonly. Maybe someone could shed some light on this while we're (kind of) on the subject?

Upvote 0

Via Cassian

Dec 24, 2009
South
✟24,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hey, while we're talking about this stuff I have a question about the term "solemnity" vs. "feast." I used solemnity above, but I wanted to make sure I was using it correctly so I looked it up. According to CatholicReference.net : Catholic Dictionary there are 14 solemnities (the Baptism of the Lord not being one of them) and they're the highest rank of feasts. However, I was taught in RCIA that "solemnity" and "feast" are interchangeable. I googled "solemnity of the Baptism of the Lord" and apparently that is used commonly. Maybe someone could shed some light on this while we're (kind of) on the subject?

The Benedictine liturgy of the hours book I use, Benedictine Daily Prayer, use solemnities as the highest rank of feast.

Here is a Zenit article that gives more information

Upvote 0

Samaritan74

Dec 17, 2009
Australia
Visit site
✟7,620.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I always thought it was 12 days, from Christmas onwards - hence the 12 days of Christmas. I just checked in Wikipedia and that says that from 25 December to 5 January is the period known as Christmastide. But then Wikipedia could be wrong as well.

It has always annoyed me how people speak of the 12 days of Christmas being 12 days before Christmas, when it should be 12 days after Christmas.

Upvote 0

sk8Joyful

Aug 23, 2005
✟28,800.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
what are the exact first and last days of Christmas, and how long does it last?
I would greatly appreciate knowing this tidbit of Catholic information,
esp. to combat claims that, since the 25th of December is past, it's "no longer Christmas."
the 1st. & last day of *Christmas* lasts but one day??

Here I've been living Christmas-*spirit* 365 ;) days, as Christ us taught. - much more rewarding :thumbsup: inside. Cheers! :wave:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Caedmon

kawaii
Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
the 1st. & last day of *Christmas* lasts but one day??

Here I've been living Christmas-*spirit* 365 ;) days, as Christ us taught. - much more rewarding :thumbsup: inside. Cheers! :wave:
I appreciate your comment, and yes, we should live the spirit of Christmas year-round, and this should be the standard for most Christian groups. Catholics take it a step further and have a set schedule of holiday (holy day) seasons throughout the year that tell the story of our Faith. It's like reading a novel with a beginning, a middle, and an end. It is not a limitation, but rather a guarantee that we "read" the entire story, every year. And of course, you can recall any of those stories and life lessons with you throughout the year. Peace be with you.

Upvote 0

Via Cassian

Dec 24, 2009
South
✟24,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, I used the dates you gave me, and I came up with a really good source, finally:
Holy Comforter Parish Blog: Church History: Christmas

Excellent article, thanks. I think they hinted at the change that the US Catholics made. I think, but am not sure, that the Baptism of the Lord was changed in the US to be fixed on a Sunday from the past practice of having it move. Again, I wish there was a place where all of this was explained in detail, but the Holy Comforter blog article is the best one I have read so far -- good find.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Via Cassian

Dec 24, 2009
South
✟24,147.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0