How long before the Holy Spirit filled you?

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello! I'm a new Christian and I have been praying, and have been prayed for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit but nothing so far. I understand that I'm on God's time and that I need to fully submit to Him but I'm curious if anyone has diligently sought the Baptism for months and nothing?

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I'm a new Christian and I have been praying, and have been prayed for the Baptism of the Holy Spirit but nothing so far. I understand that I'm on God's time and that I need to fully submit to Him but I'm curious if anyone has diligently sought the Baptism for months and nothing?
Have you been baptized yet?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

I went to church for 30 years before I was filled. If you like I'll send you my testimony so you can see the hold-up in my case.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Are you expecting to feel it, or know it...?

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I wasn't expecting to feel it, but boy howdy, did I ever
I think that is awesome... What seems to be in common (feeling and/or knowin it, ect) is, an experience, and/or especially shared, "experiences happening to or with you, and/or around you with this "God" (H.S.)" or member of the Godhead, especially on a regular basis...

And there was feelings involved in mine also, but they are probably very much more different from yours maybe though...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you expecting to feel it, or know it...?

I should already have the spirit in me because I've converted. I cannot tell you that I *Know* the Spirit is in me. Nor have I experienced the pouring of the Spirit. I want both experiences.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yes please, I would appreciate that very much thank you!

You've got mail. I wasn't even asking to be filled, I was just repenting. That is the key to receiving. Acts 2:38

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You've got mail. I wasn't even asking to be filled, I was just repenting. That is the key to receiving. Acts 2:38

I have repented for so many things, I can't think of what I did not repent for. In fact, I've even repented for things I did not do just to be sure. I have prayed several times to ask God to tell me if there's anything I missed.

I read your testimony, wow!!! You're a very good writer by the way...and your testimony was very interesting. I want to hear God speak too. Although I did hear a voice a couple times before becoming a Christian. One of them saved my life.
I've been reading about idols and I definitely am a hopeless romantic like you were, I've been praying for God to fix that. I think I'm a bit impatient too. But I was hoping that I could be filled despite my imperfections. I know that I could love God more. I think I fear man more than God at this point in time and I've been praying for his grace on all my weaknesses, just nothing yet, groan :)

Thank you for sharing your testimony!

• Friendly
Reactions: Danayah
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I have repented for so many things, I can't think of what I did not repent for. In fact, I've even repented for things I did not do just to be sure. I have prayed several times to ask God to tell me if there's anything I missed.

I read your testimony, wow!!! You're a very good writer by the way...and your testimony was very interesting. I want to hear God speak too. Although I did hear a voice a couple times before becoming a Christian. One of them saved my life.
I've been reading about idols and I definitely am a hopeless romantic like you were, I've been praying for God to fix that. I think I'm a bit impatient too. But I was hoping that I could be filled despite my imperfections. I know that I could love God more. I think I fear man more than God at this point in time and I've been praying for his grace on all my weaknesses, just nothing yet, groan :)

Is there anything you can do, or anywhere you can go, where you feel or sense God's and/or a spiritual presence(s) or reality more or much more closer...?

He is always with you though...

God Bless!

• Friendly
Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,527.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes - in His time...

And it is a different experience for everyone - for me it came with very deep conviction and repentance and being quite 'undone' - I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Next day He told me what i was... (I wouldn't have known) I had some fluency in tongues before this as well. I guess He likes to break our 'rules'.
I was permanently different and received discernment gifts at the time.

It doesn't always happen with the laying on of hands.

Bottom line is that we need it for empowering our service in His purpose.

And timing wise I was born again at 13, baptised shortly after, then fell away at 17 for 11 years, had a prodigal's return to faith at 28, took 7 years to be healed and strong after a very foolish lifestyle. Was Baptised in the spirit at 35.

Blessings,

Carl Emerson.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my case, it happened when I was reading a book about
"Holy Spirit".
I did simple prayer.
- and I was filled with Holy Spirit.
---
Continue to wait on the Lord..
He knows your heart.
it will happen.

Blessings,

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

As you saw, for a time I was repenting for the wrong reasons, and God had to shout at me to get through to me. I was repenting so God would send me another man, you are repenting for an experience. Don't. Fall in love with Jesus. Put Him first before an experience. And listen. Relax and listen. Ask what is still hindering having an intimate relationship with Him. Then listen for as long as it takes. Don't get frustrated, because that is unbelief. Just joyfully worship Him and listen, expecting. Start thanking Him, every time you see a sunset, or a flower or anything that is good.

James 1:5 But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord, 8 being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bottom line is that we need it for empowering our service in His purpose.

Carl Emerson.

This is my sentiment as well. I will keep praying and reading His Word.

Thanks for your reply Carl!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Romans 8

Site Supporter
Feb 16, 2019
Canada
✟137,253.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As you saw, for a time I was repenting for the wrong reasons, and God had to shout at me to get through to me. I was repenting so God would send me another man, you are repenting for an experience. Don't. Fall in love with Jesus. Put Him first before an experience. And listen. Relax and listen. Ask what is still hindering having an intimate relationship with Him. Then listen for as long as it takes. Don't get frustrated, because that is unbelief. Just joyfully worship Him and listen, expecting. Start thanking Him, every time you see a sunset, or a flower or anything that is good.

Yes, this pretty much sums up where I'm at 1stcenturylady.

I'm not all that concerned about having this particular experience, but it would give me sign that I am 'getting traction' so to speak. I am confident the experience will come. But I would be happy with any sign: conviction, joy, a voice, a strong feeling, a lifting of weight off my shoulders...just a sign that he's there.

At the same time I have work to do. I am an old wine skin that cannot hold new wine. I know that, and so I will continue praying and getting to know Him.

Thank you everyone for offering help!! God Bless!

Upvote 0

Christgirl67

Apr 9, 2017
N/A
✟41,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
For me, I received the holy spirit right after I got saved.If you ask God to fill you with the holy spirit, and have faith that he will do it, he will grant it.It may help to pray with another believer as well, that is how I was able to get the holy ghost.

Reactions: Romans 8
Upvote 0