How long ago was the universe created?

How long ago was the universe created?

• Total voters

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
According to the Bible the universe was created about 6,000 years ago. Is this accurate? Why or why not? Also according to modern science the universe was created billions of years ago during the big bang. Which is correct? Why or why not?

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
According to the Bible the universe was created about 6,000 years ago. Is this accurate?

No, because the bible does not say when the universe was created. Also, the whole 6,000 year thing (not saying it's accurate) goes back to the creation of Adam not the universe.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No, because the bible does not say when the universe was created. Also, the whole 6,000 year thing (not saying it's accurate) goes back to the creation of Adam not the universe.

But God created Adam on the sixth day of creation. So if the bible is correct than the universe was created about 6,000 years ago 6 days before the creation of Adam. I believe the bible to be correct hence my vote. But I was wondering how many Christians don't take a literal view of the Bible. I know some Christians believe in evolution and in the billions of years.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
According to the Bible the universe was created about 6,000 years ago. Is this accurate? Why or why not? Also according to modern science the universe was created billions of years ago during the big bang. Which is correct? Why or why not?
That's not what it says, it says the 'heavens and the earth' were created, 'in the beginning'. This could have been mibutes before creation week started, it could have been billions of years. The age of the earth and the universe are irrelavant to the doctrine of creation.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That's not what it says, it says the 'heavens and the earth' were created, 'in the beginning'. This could have been mibutes before creation week started, it could have been billions of years. The age of the earth and the universe are irrelavant to the doctrine of creation.

Somewhere in the book of Matthew (forgive me I forget exactly where and I don't have access to a bible right now) Matthew gives a complete genealogy from Adam to Jesus. Christian scientists have ran the math for how long these people lived for and came to the conclusion that Adam lived about 6,000 years ago. And Adam lived 6 days after the creation of the universe.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Somewhere in the book of Matthew (forgive me I forget exactly where and I don't have access to a bible right now) Matthew gives a complete genealogy from Adam to Jesus. Christian scientists have ran the math for how long these people lived for and came to the conclusion that Adam lived about 6,000 years ago. And Adam lived 6 days after the creation of the universe.

The creation of the universe isn't mentioned in Genesis 1. It says sky and Earth which is more local. It doesn't mention the actual universe in it's entirety.

H8064
שׁמה / שׁמים
shâmayim / shâmeh
BDB Definition:
1) heaven, heavens, sky
1a) visible heavens, sky
1a1) as abode of the stars
1a2) as the visible universe, the sky, atmosphere, etc
1b) Heaven (as the abode of God)
Part of Speech: noun masculine
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: from an unused root meaning to be lofty
Same Word by TWOT Number: 2407a

Upvote 0

hopperace

long forgotten host
Oct 20, 2006
✟125,971.00
Faith
Presbyterian
That's fair, very fair, but...
there's some debate as to the what, why, and how the Biblical lineages of Jesus' ancestries are given per Jewish and/or Divine intent - particularly whether these are person-to-person begats, generation-to-generation begats, or whether something else entirely was going on in their conveyance, esp, since there are known omissions when compared with the OT accounts of royal descent in the kings.

So we know for certain there are gaps and purposeful differences, though not everyone agrees as to why or what those mean. Genesis too, wasn't intended to be a pinpoint detailed person-to-person account, but more a, "Hey, this is who we are and from where we came" to the gathering at Mt. Sinai.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But God created Adam on the sixth day of creation. So if the bible is correct than the universe was created about 6,000 years ago 6 days before the creation of Adam. I believe the bible to be correct hence my vote. But I was wondering how many Christians don't take a literal view of the Bible. I know some Christians believe in evolution and in the billions of years.

I also believe what the Bible says. If someone can't believe all of what God says, how can you really believe any of it? If God can create everything out of nothing, why can't He do it in six days? Why should we falter and dumb-down to limited human thinking, if we have God with us?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The creation of the universe isn't mentioned in Genesis 1. It says sky and Earth which is more local. It doesn't mention the actual universe in it's entirety.

H8064
שׁמה / שׁמים
shâmayim / shâmeh
BDB Definition:
1) heaven, heavens, sky
1a) visible heavens, sky
1a1) as abode of the stars
1a2) as the visible universe, the sky, atmosphere, etc
1b) Heaven (as the abode of God)
Part of Speech: noun masculine
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: from an unused root meaning to be lofty
Same Word by TWOT Number: 2407a

I'm sorry but isn't the heavens mentioned in the first sentence of the bible the universe? There's the first heaven which is the universe and there's the third heaven which is the place where God lives. If you take a literal interpretation of the bible the heavens were created on the first day.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Historical record keeping began about 5,000 years ago when people in the Near East started making marks on clay pots to help the owner(s) remember what was stored inside.

I do not believe anyone who will tell me he/she can trace family history back 6,000 years. According to Wikipedia the oldest family tree is for Confucius. It claims to be 80 generations and more than a thousand years in duration. I do not believe that genealogy either. We do not have any accurate Jewish genealogy from the time of Jesus until the present (2000 yrs) and some of these people were able to read and write.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I also believe what the Bible says. If someone can't believe all of what God says, how can you really believe any of it? If God can create everything out of nothing, why can't He do it in six days? Why should we falter and dumb-down to limited human thinking, if we have God with us?

Amen brother but at the same time I'm not calling Christians who don't have a literal view of the bible not saved or not Christian. Remember its faith in Christ that saves and what defines a Christian. I mean I think its kind of foolish to believe in Jesus yet at the same time believe in evolution or the billions of years theory. Or to not believe that so few people lived between Adam and Jesus. I mean... There was only like 63 generations from Adam to Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry but isn't the heavens mentioned in the first sentence of the bible the universe?

It says "the heaven" and I don't think God is speaking of the full universe but the heaven that surrounds the Earth.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
NASB Genesis 1:2 The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.

This disproves the flat earth too, the Bible doesn't say its flat.

4 corners are N,W,S,E compass direction.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟920,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It says "the heaven" and I don't think God is speaking of the full universe but the heaven that surrounds the Earth.

Well it says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth" which many people take to mean the universe, the Earth, and the third heaven were created on bthe first day. I could be wrong though.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That was calculated by exegetical scholars, Rabbinical and Christian, the number is usually right around 6,000 years. There is a timeline in the Hebrew Old Testament, that much is true. My understand of Genesis 1 is that the creation of the universe is a seperate account, quite possibly seperated by billions of years from creation week.

The emphasis of the Genesis account is that God created life in general and Adam in particular. There is a special word for creation, bara, its used five times in the account. Once for the creation of the universe, once for the creation of living creatures and three times for the creation of Adam and Eve.

The age of the heavens and the earth itself is irrelavant to the doctrine of Creation. Dont get me wrong, the universe may well be 6,000 years old but the text clearly and conclusively allows for an old earth. I"ve been doing this since 2003 and have defended this against the arguments of Darwinians and Creationists alike. I've yet to see a convincing counter argument.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion and while I can respect it, I know the Scriptures regarding creation and stand by the alternate reading as descibed without reservation.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Instead the Bible says :

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

Notice how you aren't told how much time passed in verse 1, before the moment in verse 2?

The Bible does not say how old the universe is, not anywhere.

Why doesn't the scripture tell us the numerical amount of time since God created this Universe?

Because it is mere time, and does not matter.

He is eternal.

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0