• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How it feels to be diagnosed with AS

LovedSparrow

One Day at a Time
Jun 22, 2011
✟8,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My diagnosis only added a word to my vocabulary with personal experience as to what it meant. I'd always been aware of who I was, so being diagnosed didn't add anything to my understand of who I was. It did help me that I now understood that server things about myself were now related to a common theme in my life. It also gave me permission to opt out of things that others loved to do but caused me anxiety. Why put myself thru that!
Some people don't like names as they feel it boxes them in. Personally, I collect names. Like I'm conservative, I'm evangelical, I'm aspie, I'm a sexual being etc.

Upvote 0

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Getting an official Dx has made a world of difference for me. I have struggled all my life to figure out and/or fix whatever was wrong with me. When I first learned about the syndrome about 2 yrs. ago, I was having a hard time figuring it out all on my own. I had to reevalute my life in terms of Asperger's just after I thought I finally had it all figured out in terms of PTSD. God is funny that way. I had worked hard to overcome and had made a lot of progress, especially in the 4 years prior to my Dx, but the same areas remained intractable from the beginning to the end. Those areas I now know as Asperger's.

It took me almost 6 mos. to find someone to help me navigate the syndrome, what services were available to help me, etc. I got an official Dx about a year ago after IQ testing and answering the MMPI. Then I found out my counselor was qualified to make the official Dx and had already done so. This all told me that it was not just me making excuses. But I don't look for excuses; I look for explanations and solutions. I am satisfied now and accept what cannot be changed but must be managed. I have now entered into a new phase of my growth. His grace is sufficient for me.

Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Getting an official diagnosis has helped to stop me being driven crazy by my Aspergers. Before I was diagnosed I didn't know why I was so socially inept (why I couldn't keep a conversation going, why I seemed to have nothing in common with any of my classmates, why I only ever managed to have real conversations with one person in my Christian home group for more than five years, why I sometimes just freaked out when I had to talk to someone I didn't know, why people took offence at something I said or did and I'd be clueless about why they were offended...). I honestly thought it was just me and if I tried harder I could fit in, but it never worked - I could never pick up on subtext and the subtext I was sending was almost certainly at least a bit odd. Being diagnosed means that I now know all this wasn't my fault - that there wasn't all that much I could do about it! And when I hit moments like that now, instead of beating myself up about it, I can just mentally say "Oh, that's Aspergers again". It's so freeing to know what it is!!!

Incidentally, I think the diagnosis has also explained why I'm so uncoordinated/clumsy, which has meant that my reaction to it has changed from embarrassment and self-flagellation (why on earth can't I do this; nobody else's attempts look this weird!) to fond exasperation (oh no, Aspergers again - bother and drat). Funnily enough, it's also enabled me to laugh at myself when my not knowing exactly where the parts of my body are at a given time leads to something really silly... such as walking smack bang into a shop sign sitting on the pavement. I never used to be able to laugh about that.

Upvote 0

TalusJumper

May 1, 2011
✟7,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Getting an accurate diagnosis would be beneficial, but getting a conflicting diagnosis might just make things more confusing... :confused:

Lots of research into a good, reputable ASD clinic/ psychologist is highly recommended. I used a leading university because I thought they would be more neutral but what I got was inexperienced young students... :sigh:

Upvote 0

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you have done the right thing with the knowledge of having AS. laughing at yourself should also help others accept you for who you are I think.

Q. How many Aspies does it take to change a lightbulb?

1. Just me.
2. Aspies don't like change.
3. You don't change a lightbulb, you replace it.
3a. You do if you paint it.
4. ?????

Upvote 0