Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the scriptures do record some groups receiving the Holy Spirit as a direct move of God. Early church on Pentecost (Acts 2) and Cornelius in Acts 10.

For clarification, I'm referring to the "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 1:8) not necessarily the indwelling if the Spirit. One brings power the other bears fruit in my view of scriptures. So how does one receive the Spirit in power.

But usually the Spirit was given as a result of someone who had already received laying hands on others and imparting.

So question, in your experience, is the Spirit given mainly through laying on if hands or if a person just prays and asks can they receive?

It seems God has a structured way to do things for the most part. That's not to say he can't alter that structure when it suits his purpose, but usually in scripture God does things In a set, prescribed manner. Perhaps I'm mistaken on that.

But again, just curious what you think. Or is there some other manner? Please discuss!

Last edited:

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
By the hearing of faith.:amen:
Gal 3:2-5
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
4 Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

The actions mentioned may be a point of contact to assist the faith of the hearer, but essentially it is faith.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the scriptures do record some groups receiving the Holy Spirit as a direct move of God. Early church on Pentecost (Acts 2) and Cornelius in Acts 10. But usually the Spirit was given as a result of someone who had already received laying hands on others and imparting.

So question, in your experience, is the Spirit given mainly through laying on if hands or if a person just prays and asks can they receive?

It seems God has a structured way to do things for the most part. That's not to say he can't alter that structure when it suits his purpose, but usually in scripture God does things In a set, prescribed manner. Perhaps I'm mistaken on that.

But again, just curious what you think. Or is there some other manner? Please discuss!
The first outpouring on the day of Pentecost no laying on of hands took place. God made/makes His Home in the believer. I believe this verse brings clarity.
It tells us more about stirring the Spirit already in us.

Timothy 1:6
6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
So the scriptures do record some groups receiving the Holy Spirit as a direct move of God. Early church on Pentecost (Acts 2) and Cornelius in Acts 10.

For clarification, I'm referring to the "Baptism of the Holy Spirit" (Acts 1:8) not necessarily the indwelling if the Spirit. One brings power the other bears fruit in my view of scriptures. So how does one receive the Spirit in power.

But usually the Spirit was given as a result of someone who had already received laying hands on others and imparting.

It is typical to make contact with someone when ministering to someone ….but not always. There are times when God directs you not to do so. Nine out of 10 times that person has a devil spirit(s) that needs to be removed …and I have seen some people who have laid hands on “suddenly” get bopped by the spirit. The other 1/10 time (as I found out later) it’s people (new believers) who don’t want to be touched.

It is rare that I lay hands on new people who are being born again of the spirit.. which is the indwelling of the spirit. …..(I think we discussed that before)

When it comes to doing anything…like laying on of hands…. it is critical to check in with the Father before hand ….

Ohhh…… get it…… before hand.....:sigh:

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My experience with being baptized with the Holy Ghost. I was born again in Spring of 1971. I read about the experience in the book of Acts and wanted it for myself. I was not going to church at the time and did not know anyone in school (I was 17) to fellowship with. So I just knelt down next to my bed and prayed for the experience. I fully expected to begin praying with new tongues. Instead I immediately prophesied: "I have loved you with a great love..."
It was some time before I read further in Acts:

Acts 19:6
6. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

A few days later I told the Lord I wanted to speak with new tongues. I was walking home from work in the evening. I was on a dark road. I knelt down on the side of the road in the moonlight and immediately began to pray and stammer, my tongue was clicking against the top of my mouth, and a continuous sounding came out. This was all a very special time for me. The presence of the Spirit of the Lord just stayed on me for days. In large part, I did not know what was going on or what I was doing. But there it is.:clap:

I guess I am saying that nobody prayed over me or laid hands on me. I was completely by myself just believing God.

Upvote 0

GTW27

Aug 31, 2007
Western Pa
✟203,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Blessings in Christ Jesus! The Lord is true to His Word. Keep seeking Him in His Word and in prayer. Share it all with Him. The answers you seek are all found in Him, and Him alone, and He loves questions. I have found that He surprises those that love Him. Those that make time for Him, and especially those that put Him before all things. Remember, all good gifts come down from above, from The Father of Lights.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I personally feel that Baptism in the Spirit should not be seen as a specific, or should I say single act. We receive the Spirit when we are saved, and He leads us into all truth. The Holy Spirits' primary job is to lead us into truth, and lead others to it. This leading also teaches us to believe in miracles, and gifts of the Spirit, but these are often accessed by faith.

I spent many years trying to be Baptised in the Spirit, but nothing happened, it made me doubt my salvation. But later in life I just believed God was with me and began to reach out in faith, and prayer, believing God for miracles. Then I began to see some sick healed through my prayer, received visions, and dreams etc. None of this occurred after a Baptism in the Spirit, it occurred by walking with God daily.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My experience with being baptized with the Holy Ghost. I was born again in Spring of 1971. I read about the experience in the book of Acts and wanted it for myself. I was not going to church at the time and did not know anyone in school (I was 17) to fellowship with. So I just knelt down next to my bed and prayed for the experience. I fully expected to begin praying with new tongues. Instead I immediately prophesied: "I have loved you with a great love..."
It was some time before I read further in Acts:

Acts 19:6
6. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

A few days later I told the Lord I wanted to speak with new tongues. I was walking home from work in the evening. I was on a dark road. I knelt down on the side of the road in the moonlight and immediately began to pray and stammer, my tongue was clicking against the top of my mouth, and a continuous sounding came out. This was all a very special time for me. The presence of the Spirit of the Lord just stayed on me for days. In large part, I did not know what was going on or what I was doing. But there it is.:clap:

I guess I am saying that nobody prayed over me or laid hands on me. I was completely by myself just believing God.

My experience was similar. God bless

• Useful
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't recall having hands laid on me, but just started praying in tongues one evening.

Same deal with me. I thought it would have been more dramatic honestly, coming from a cessationist background, but it is still a blessing obviously

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Well actually water baptism is also a way, and this goes back to the earliest times like outside of the Bible the earliest witness is the Didache and various early Church Fathers of AD 100 onward.

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism
And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Matthew 28:19 in living water. But if you have not living water, baptize into other water; and if you can not in cold, in warm. But if you have not either, pour out water thrice upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whatever others can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

CHURCH FATHERS: The Didache

Ignatius of Antioch
“Let none of you turn deserter. Let your baptism be your armor; your faith, your helmet; your love, your spear; your patient endurance, your panoply” (Letter to Polycarp 6 [A.D. 110]).

Clement of Alexandria
“When we are baptized, we are enlightened. Being enlightened, we are adopted as sons. Adopted as sons, we are made perfect. Made perfect, we become immortal. . . . This work is variously called grace, illumination, perfection, and washing. It is a washing by which we are cleansed of sins, a gift of grace by which the punishments due our sins are remitted, an illumination by which we behold that holy light of salvation” (The Instructor of Children 1:6:26:1 [A.D. 191]).

Hippolytus
“And the bishop shall lay his hand upon them [the newly baptized], invoking and saying: ‘O Lord God, who did count these worthy of deserving the forgiveness of sins by the laver of regeneration, make them worthy to be filled with your Holy Spirit and send upon them thy grace [in confirmation], that they may serve you according to your will” (The Apostolic Tradition 22:1 [A.D. 215]).

Aphraahat the Persian Sage
“From baptism we receive the Spirit of Christ. At that same moment in which the priests invoke the Spirit, heaven opens, and he descends and rests upon the waters, and those who are baptized are clothed in him. The Spirit is absent from all those who are born of the flesh, until they come to the water of rebirth, and then they receive the Holy Spirit” (Treatises 6:14:4 [A.D. 340]).

What the Early Church Believed: Baptismal Grace

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
People (Spirit filled) can only help/assist in an individuals prayer to receive the Holy Spirit (Gods way, just as the early churches-people not a building );many receive on there own when less intimidated by there surroundings and more open to let God in.

Ac 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Repent ; baby's cant (man made blasphemous rubbish)

Baptism ; Greek word which means immerse ,dip ,submerge etc ;symbol of burial ,right under!

(thats your part to show a attitude of simple obedience to God)

receive the Holy Ghost ( Gods in your face response to your now asking[and keep on asking until his response} by your compliance to his will and his sons sacrifice)

what happens as a rule of thumb when a babys born; it cries out; when you are BORN again , you cry out in the language GOD GIVES YOU (tongues) until this ,your still in repentance mode.

religious just like those around Jesus and crucified him.

and here if you agree with..confess..etc

Mark16v16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

package deal for those who confess, believe and dont tamper with or try to ajust for there own imagination.. Gods way or the highway !

Mt 7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
God can use many means to baptize us in the Holy Spirit. Laying on of hands and prayer and seeking are two ways this can be done. Of course as @Pavel Mosko alludes to, this cam be done in more ways as well. Personally, I am not one to limit how the Holy Spirit can work. It is why I think people of pretty much any denomination can be saved. The eucharist or communion is another way this can work. However, I think a notable verse about this is found in John...

John 1:12-13 NAS20
“But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of a man, but of God.”

Ultimately, it is up to God to call, sanctify, and give us His Spirit. It is all grace and not by the works of men that this is achieved.

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums