How is Salvation, or anything you get from God, a "free gift" if our own will got it for us...?

Bcs90

Jul 8, 2019
Willmar
✟16,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All not some not most but ALL good things come from God. So that tiny thought, desire what ever it was that lead you to Christ.. that you (being anyone) think it was your own will.. never was. That was the holy Spirit. "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."

If it was will alone.. no one would have found Christ. No man can come to me EXCEPT..

brother, what did Jesus mean by "raise him up at the last day?" raise who? is he metaphorically speaking of man? and why last day?

Upvote 0

greenguzzi

Post-Evangelical, Social Anarchist, One of The Way
Aug 25, 2015
Sydney Australia
✟33,863.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
You could have just said "I don't know," or maybe not reply at all.
Or I could have used the /sarcasm tag.
Also I could say the same back to you, or tell you where you can go. But I won't because, unlike some people, I'm not an aarrssee.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
brother, what did Jesus mean by "raise him up at the last day?" raise who? is he metaphorically speaking of man? and why last day?
The resurrection of Jesus from the dead was the first time that a human being was actually raised from the dead. Jesus said that in this way He is the first-born of many brethren. He said in the same way that He was raised from the dead by the power of the Holy Spirit, all those who put their faith in Him will be raised from the dead when He comes again. The last day will be the last day of the church dispensation. That will be the last day of grace, after which no one will be saved, but all those who are unsaved will come to judgment. The Scripture says that if the same power that raised Jesus from the day dwell in us, He will raise our mortal bodies. This is speaking of the resurrection of the faithful in Christ along with the Rapture when those who are still alive in Christ will be caught up to meet the Lord in the air. The resurrected dead in Christ, and those who are caught up will meet with the Lord and return with Him. The Scripture says that He will return with ten thousands of His saints.

Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟239,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If I offer you a hundred dollars free and clear if you come to my home Tuesday afternoon between 1:00 and 2:00, is my gift any less free because I placed conditions on your receiving it?

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How is Salvation, or anything you/me/we get or receive from God a "free gift" if our own will in any way got it or gets it for us...?

Comments...?

God Bless!
It is really simple. If I gave you a hundred dollars for your birthday and you refused to receive it, is it then not a gift given to you freely even through your will prevented you from receiving it and benefiting from it?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,041,208.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just don't seem fair -- does it?
Sometimes man hardens his heart.
Sometimes God hardens mans heart.

I don't believe that God hardens peoples hearts, unless they have, deliberately and knowingly, rejected him many times. Then it might be that they are unable to repent.
But I certainly don't believe that God says, "I created X in my image, I know all about them (Psalms 139) but I have deliberately made them with a hard heart; one that is unable to respond to me and the Good News." What father would create a new life and then show a complete disinterest in that life and refuse any opportunity to be its father? Yet God is a loving, perfect heavenly Father.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟214,745.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Or I could have used the /sarcasm tag.
Also I could say the same back to you, or tell you where you can go. But I won't because, unlike some people, I'm not an aarrssee.

So do you actually have a view on what was stated?

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK, let me try another way to make my point:
Let's say my boat just sank. I can't swim very well, and I was stupid enough not to wear a life jacket.
Then this large ship comes by. But because it's a large ship, it can't come close. Someone on the ship throws out a raft attached to the ship by a rope.
It takes a lot out of me to swim to the raft, but I make it and am saved and pulled on board.
Who gets the credit for my rescue? Is it me for taking all that effort to get the the raft? Or is it the crew of the ship who did what they could to save me?
Am I going to charge the crew of the ship for all the effort I used to get to the raft? If your answer is "yes", then salvation is not free. If "no" then salvation is free.
QED
I think both sides would get some credit in that example. You had to give some effort to reach the raft knowing you weren’t able to swim well. That deserves some credit too in my opinion.

Upvote 0

His student

Jan 10, 2019
Northwest
✟48,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is Salvation, or anything you/me/we get or receive from God a "free gift" if our own will in any way got it or gets it for us...? Comments...? God Bless!
For the record - I'm pretty much a Reformed theology sort of guy. I just don't think that one has to tow the entire 5-point (supposedly) Calvinist line to be so.

For instance - I take exception to the "limited atonement" point as it is usually presented. I also believe that "election" can be "conditional" and still remain sovereign election.

I do believe in the eternal security of believers based on God's faithfulness to complete what HE began in us. I also believe in irresistible grace and that it does not negate free will.

I do believe in total depravity. But not to the extent that those who have not been born again cannot approach God in some way - thus securing His favor.

Having said that - I believe that the often heard comments by Reformed types to the effect that receiving a gift with our own free will equates to canceling out the idea of it being a "free" gift.

I just think that saying that is ridiculous on several levels.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JLHargus

Sep 10, 2018
Columbus
✟33,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How is Salvation, or anything you/me/we get or receive from God a "free gift" if our own will in any way got it or gets it for us...?

Comments...?

God Bless!

The same way anyone can receive any free gift by willing to accept it or reject it.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Comments...?

God Bless!
It's a self defeating line of thought. If you think God did it all without even your permission, you are just a robot. If you think you somehow won your salvation because you accepted it, you missed the whole point. Free will is all through scripture. If you believe it's not, then you have to believe God made it impossible for you to believe otherwise, so your argument is meaningless, like a computer telling the person who made it what it thinks about being made, when it can really only say what it's been programmed to say.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If I offer you a hundred dollars free and clear if you come to my home Tuesday afternoon between 1:00 and 2:00, is my gift any less free because I placed conditions on your receiving it?

It is really simple. If I gave you a hundred dollars for your birthday and you refused to receive it, is it then not a gift given to you freely even through your will prevented you from receiving it and benefiting from it?

The same way anyone can receive any free gift by willing to accept it or reject it.

If it's so simple, then what do we have to do or not do or choose or whatever, to either accept or reject it, because some people think it takes all kinds of things, all kind of work or works on our part to accept it/keep it , etc...

If it's that simple or so simple, then what is required for us to be saved...?

And why does it not seem so simple, and why do many people try to complicate the heck out of it, etc...?

And then, also, what influenced you to make the decision to either accept or reject it, or make the choice or choices that you did...? And was that not all due to all prior or pre-existing factors and or conditions going on with you inside of you at the time, and that were prior to that, and those that were prior to that, etc, that led up to that, etc, or very heavily influenced the way you made your choice or choices or whatever, etc, prior to that, etc...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
IOW's, if what caused or causes you to make your choices, is making or deciding your choices, did or do you, or how did you really make a real true choice?

Cause i think that all our choices are caused by whatever happens or is happening or going on, in both inside and outside of you, prior to that, all the time and every single time...

And if that is always the case, how are we really making and true real choices? How is anyone, etc?

And this I believe goes all the way back to God in the beginning or before the beginning, the original cause of all.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And then, also, what influenced you to make the decision to either accept or reject it...?
God Bless!
It is the economical work of the Holy Trinity which influences people to make the decision to either accept or reject it. Particularly the work of the Holy Spirit which was sent by the Son in accordance with the will of the Father.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It is the economical work of the Holy Trinity which influences people to make the decision to either accept or reject it. Particularly the work of the Holy Spirit which was sent by the Son in accordance with the will of the Father.
Doesn't the Heavenly Father already know what we are going to choose, including the influencing of other Spirit's etc, long before He ever made any of us?

And if so, how can or do we really choose or make a choice? And what?, that the Heavenly Father doesn't already know?, or what? Knew from the beginning, made that way, etc? Or what?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't the Heavenly Father already know what we are going to choose, including the influencing of other Spirit's etc, long before He ever made any of us?

And if so, how can or do we really choose or make a choice? And what?, that the Heavenly Father doesn't already know?, or what? Knew from the beginning, made that way, etc? Or what?

God Bless!
If I left a batch of cookies in front of my 4 year old son and walked away, did he not choose to take a cookie even though I knew he would take a cookie when I walked away?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If I left a batch of cookies in front of my 4 year old son and walked away, did he not choose to take a cookie even though I knew he would take a cookie when I walked away?
He could have chose not to, and would you have known that, or all the prior precursors or factors or pre-existing conditions (going on both inside his body and outside of his body, around him, etc) that would have led up to or made him not take one or not...?

You see "human illustrations" fail because were not God or God's that are "all-knowing"...

All human illustrations fail in the light of a (supposedly) all-knowing, and all-knowing from the very beginning, God...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He could have chose not to, and would you have known that, or all the prior precursors or factors or pre-existing conditions (going on both inside his body and outside of his body, around him, etc) that would have led up to or made him not take one or not...?

You see "human illustrations" fail because were not God or God's that are "all-knowing"...

All human illustrations fail in the light of a (supposedly) all-knowing, and all-knowing from the very beginning, God...

God Bless!
It doesn't matter. Even if I was all knowing, well in this case I was 99% certain, it doesn't change the fact that my son made a decision by his own free will. Just because God knows the decisions we make before we make them, it doesn't mean that they are not our decisions. Otherwise, we would not be responsible for our decisions. Thus, God would then have created people for the sole purpose of them spending eternity in hell. God would be the cause of all sins because he would also be responsible for everyone's decision to sin. That doesn't sound like the God in the Bible.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It doesn't matter. Even if I was all knowing, well in this case I was 99% certain, it doesn't change the fact that my son made a decision by his own free will. Just because God knows the decisions we make before we make them, it doesn't mean that they are not our decisions. Otherwise, we would not be responsible for our decisions. Thus, God would then have created people for the sole purpose of them spending eternity in hell. God would be the cause of all sins because he would also be responsible for everyone's decision to sin. That doesn't sound like the God in the Bible.
No, it sounds like the Heavenly Father God Jesus spoke about...

Who has the right to do whatever He wishes and still be God and still be deserving of our honor and obedience and worship to Him as God...

God Bless!

Upvote 0