✟24,116.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How is life fair?

Everyone is going through some minor predicament here and there, but not all of them are equal, and not all of them are predicaments at all. There are those who stride through this life with absolutely no worry or concern whatsoever as everything works in their favour, and there are those who suffer through perpetual exhaustion, pain and suffering because of something they have no control over. Life clearly plays favourites.

Take me for example -- I was born with a minor deformity that only became worse after I had a fatal incident as a toddler that changed my life for the worse. I had lost tons of blood and had to be rushed to the hospital to save my life, and when I woke up, my worst nightmare began - I became a victim of extreme verbal bullying all throughout kindergarten, grade 1-6, high school and onwards because of an incident that I had no control over. I've spent countless nights crying about it and wishing something would change, but all I heard was the sound of silence. No one was around to help. No one cared enough to alleviate the pain of my physical, mental and emotional suffering.

If I ever opened up to anybody about my issues, they would immediately start treating me with kid-gloves and this just made it even worse.

It's gotten so bad that I avoid all social gatherings such as weddings, birthdays and whatnot because I KNOW for a fact that I would get all sorts of wrong attention due to my injuries. In fact, I'm reminded on a weekly basis that I look ugly and weird by anyone that I come across, and because of this I have missed out on hundreds of special events out of fear of being judged. And When I do go out, I must cover up my injuries to avoid people noticing that something is physically wrong with me and this pains me more than ever. I don't know what it feels like to feel free in my clothing choices.

The last person I spoke to said my weakness glorifies God, but I don't get how that's possible. I'm useless; A wasted potential that can't do much and spends all day locked up in a room. What about me is of any use to anyone?

My depression and anxiety are at a all time high, my body is frail and weak, and I live in a never ending nightmare of bullying because of the way I look, and I doubt any human being would be able to help me at this point. Thankfully, I've rarely, if ever, thought of suicide as an answer to my problems. My dignity refuses to look at suicide as a solution to my suffering.

So, how is life fair for me when I can't integrate into society the way others can? Please don't give me the generic "We all suffer because of sin" because that just won't cut it. If that's the case, then some people seem partially immune to the full effects of the human "Sin Nature" then. What exactly did we (Everyone with similar issues) do to deserve this?

Someone must've turned off the light at the end of my tunnel.

Last edited:

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Has anyone ever told you that life is not fair and it was never intended to be fair but God is a Just God ? Don't look to compare or to see things as fair or unfair but seek the Lord ( the just guy) with all your heart might and strength. Seek His joy not that of the world.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are struggling so, and I understand, truly I do.

Life. is. not. fair. And nowhere does God promise that it would be. In fact, Jesus told us life would NOT be fair... it wasn't even fair to HIM and He is the Son of GOD!!! Am I better than that? Heavens no! So I had to learn not to expect fairness, but UNfairness from the world and the people I engage in life. They don't know Him and I need to be the light that shines for them.

Paul says, "forgetting those things which are behind and pressing towards the goal..." While we all have different experiences, most of us do have trauma in our lives... we cannot focus upon that! The devil wants to keep reminding us of how rotten this life is and expecting us to follow this idea with hating God for all His mean things He does to us... but we KNOW this is not from GOD! God gives only good for us... our thoughts, words, actions...

When younger I found that by taking "God's perspective" helped me see life on earth as He does... well, as close as I could... I'm a visual person so I envisioned rising above the earth, flying high like an eagle and viewing the little things of life (that appear so huge when down on earth)... and realizing that GOD gave US seasons and times, but HE SEES EVERYTHING all at once..our past, present and future... (Have you ever flown in an airplane and looked down to see how tiny houses and people and cars appear?)

Don't look for a light at the end of this tunnel, it might be a train. INSTEAD, be a light, even in your struggles, for God... you can shine even a little for someone else who needs it too. :prayer: God gives us light. He is the Light of the World...shine your dim light for another, help another, and your light will grow stronger and stronger and the cares of this world will strangely dim... the LIGHT of HIS GLORY and GRACE!

Upvote 0

lastofall

Aug 6, 2016
Germany
✟30,996.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[for me anyway] as a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ I can only speak from a view of faith, and not from the view of doubt. Through faith we which believe understand that we should make the sincere effort to not be weary in well doing, trusting that in due time we shall reap, if we don't give up: yet at the same time we accept that every one of us shall bear our own burden; but also as believers we are called to the law of Christ, which is to bear one another's burdens. But again the Lord tells us that His grace is sufficient for us, because His strength is made perfect in weakness; and so we put our trust into the hands and power of the Lord, instead of sin. Also we understand and accept by His Word that He gives sunny days both to the good person, but also to the bad person; and likewise He makes rainy days both for the bad person, but also for the good person. Finally we which believe look not at the things which are seen, because those are only temporal; but we look at the things which are not seen, even if we are afflicted because those things are eternal: therefore because we trust the Lord we do not hold to temporary satisfaction in this world, because of the very point that earthly treasures are temporary: but we rather hold eternal hope, which shall be an everlasting satisfaction, because the very point that heavenly treasure is for ever.
(Galatians 6:9)
(Galatians 6:5)
(Galatians 6:2)
(2 Corinthians 12:9)
(Matthew 5:45)
(2 Corinthians 4:17-18)
(Matthew 6:19-20)

Reactions: Bigork
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How is life fair?

Everyone is going through some minor predicament here and there, but not all of them are equal, and not all of them are predicaments at all. There are those who stride through this life with absolutely no worry or concern whatsoever as everything works in their favour, and there are those who suffer through perpetual exhaustion, pain and suffering because of something they have no control over. Life clearly plays favourites.

Take me for example -- I was born with a minor deformity that only became worse after I had a fatal incident as a toddler that changed my life for the worse. I had lost tons of blood and had to be rushed to the hospital to save my life, and when I woke up, my worst nightmare began - I became a victim of extreme verbal bullying all throughout kindergarten, grade 1-6, high school and onwards because of an incident that I had no control over. I've spent countless nights crying about it and wishing something would change, but all I heard was the sound of silence. No one was around to help. No one cared enough to alleviate the pain of my physical, mental and emotional suffering.

If I ever opened up to anybody about my issues, they would immediately start treating me with kid-gloves and this just made it even worse.

It's gotten so bad that I avoid all social gatherings such as weddings, birthdays and whatnot because I KNOW for a fact that I would get all sorts of wrong attention due to my injuries. In fact, I'm reminded on a weekly basis that I look ugly and weird by anyone that I come across, and because of this I have missed out on hundreds of special events out of fear of being judged. And When I do go out, I must cover up my injuries to avoid people noticing that something is physically wrong with me and this pains me more than ever. I don't know what it feels like to feel free in my clothing choices.

The last person I spoke to said my weakness glorifies God, but I don't get how that's possible. I'm useless; A wasted potential that can't do much and spends all day locked up in a room. What about me is of any use to anyone?

My depression and anxiety are at a all time high, my body is frail and weak, and I live in a never ending nightmare of bullying because of the way I look, and I doubt any human being would be able to help me at this point. Thankfully, I've rarely, if ever, thought of suicide as an answer to my problems. My dignity refuses to look at suicide as a solution to my suffering.

So, how is life fair for me when I can't integrate into society the way others can? Please don't give me the generic "We all suffer because of sin" because that just won't cut it. If that's the case, then some people seem partially immune to the full effects of the human "Sin Nature" then. What exactly did we (Everyone with similar issues) do to deserve this?

There is no seperate "Pain System" in the human body.
What you feel when you touch something is exactly the
same type of signal as pain.
Pain is what keeps our body functioning.
Without nerve impulses, you have death.
Every moment of life is a cause for celebration.
Life is quite rare in the universe.
Perhaps even unique to our planet.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thinking life is fair presupposes that we are owed something. We are not. Whatever we have has been given as a gift. It is up to each person to decide whether he loves God and wants to use his life, whatever the circumstances may be - and I know they can be horrible - for God's glory, in a spirit of thankfulness. If one makes that decision, his outlook changes. Often that changes his life as well, but even if circumstances don't change, the inner man has, and that is what is most important.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I hope you will find a good Christian counselor who can show you acceptance. To me the question is not about fairness. It's about that you are hurting and you need people who can model God's deep abiding love for you. I hope you can also gain some acceptance of your appearance, too. When I see disabled people who accept themselves, I think it's easier for others to accept them. But in the meantime, know that you are loved more than you can imagine.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
How is life fair?

Hi
life is as it is, good and bad happens. The crucial factor is our attitude and in whom we place our faith. There are those who get on with it, with courage, and those who complain and go under.

The difference a firm Christian faith makes is immeasurable. Call upon Christ, pray constantly and make the best of it. Whatever each of us suffers cannot compare with the way Christ suffered for us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blessed Each Day

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2017
Georgia
✟69,005.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
How is life fair?

Firstly, the light at the end of your tunnel is never off, sometimes we're just turned around. You spend too much time thinking about what others think ("Yeah duh" I'm sure you're thinking.) Those people who you think judge you, and the ones who actually bully you, what bearing do they have in your life that isn't solely based in your mind? When you say you're a wasted potential, you have a linear viewpoint; everything up until this point you've only seen as negative, you have yet to see the positive! There are people who have lost sight and/or sound, who can't speak, who have no hands; there are always others who have it so much worse than we do. I think what the person who said, "you're weakness glorifies God" means is that just because of whatever physical problem you have, you can always glorify God by becoming a better person through Christ every day, by helping others when you can, and by being a positive beacon to others even when you may not feel so. Others have said it, but don't focus on what is "fair"; it's a relative term with no value, and it just brings your focus away from God. Please PM if you'd like, I'd be happy to help further get your thought process away from external factors and start focusing on your relationship with God. Even if you're confined to a room, you have no idea how many lives you can reach to glorify God!

Upvote 0

NurseAbigail

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2017
NC
✟48,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
How is life fair?

Praying for you. Yeah, you have it rough and I cannot imagine the pain you are going through. i agree that society can be cruel, judging the outward appearance of a person rather than looking at a person's heart. We can also be guilty of this by giving preference to the well to do, the beautiful, the smart, etc whilst ignoring the hurting, lonely, etc. Allowing all the pain and suffering in this world to burden you down will drastically burn you out. It is not for us to fully understand all possible scenarious. But just like Mary, we need to sit at Jesus' feet, listen to Him, be at peace with His love. Afterall, these earthly things will all fade, beauty fades riches fade but only that which is done for Christ will last. How I long to see how Jesus sees me, is the cry of my heart, I pray will be yours too. For in the end, we only live for the audience of One. <3

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GandalfTheWise

In search of lost causes and hopeless battles
May 27, 2012
Wisconsin
✟71,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is life fair?

Have you ever read "The Wounded Spirit" by Frank Peretti? He talks about his experience being different and being bullied.

• Useful
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everybody has different levels of suffering and pain...even those who seem to sail through life, succeeding at everything with no worries. I knew a lovely Christian family who seemed to have perfect, wonderful lives, but as I got to know them better, found they'd had a few marital difficulties..and then the husband fell ill, got worse and worse (something wrong with his brain) until he eventually died in his early forties, leaving his wife and three children aged under 9 or 10 years old. It was awful.
This comment is certainly not to make light of your pain and suffering...it is totally heart-wrenching to see people in pain of whatever sort.
One thing I would say is, know that you are valuable. Until I became a Christian I thought basically that I was worthless, useless and so forth (and I certainly didn't have to contend with anything like you have had to, just different things). But once I became a believer, suddenly I was walking around with my head held high, as I realised that no matter how anyone else saw me, God valued me. There's a scripture somewhere, I believe, saying something like 'If God is for me, who can be against me?'
Remember that if others are looking at you askance, then it is often THEM with the problem, not you.
Don't forget either, that very often, people don't quite know how to act around someone with visible injuries or disabilities...they either studiously try to avoid staring, or else they may acknowledge it, but inadvertently say all the wrong things, never intending to hurt them.
And yes, children unfortunately do mock and bully..but, especially now you're an adult, you can safely ignore them..what do they know? And if it's adults doing it, then they really should know better..and what does that say about them?

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure why some christians feel like is supposed to be fair or that becoming a christian means life will be easier/fair. Life is not fair, never was and never will be (while we are on earth). Lifes hard, stressful and at times makes you question everything.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A wasted potential that can't do much and spends all day locked up in a room. What about me is of any use to anyone?
My depression and anxiety are at a all time high, my body is frail and weak, and I live in a never ending nightmare of bullying because of the way I look, and I doubt any human being would be able to help me at this point.

I am sorry that life is tough and that you are not treated as a valuable person.
May I ask that you do speak to a doctor about your depression and that you seek help to cope with it.

People can be very cruel, even when they are just being thoughtless.

Please talk also to yur parents, yes I know they don't understand and want to protect you. Only by talking can they begin to understand what you are going through.

You've discribed yourself as a Christian, how did you become one?
Did you use to attend church? What happened?

The church is oe place where you should be able to meet with young people your age and to do more than just sit in a room.
Please talk to your parents, a councelor, youth leader, doctor, teacher about your feelings.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi
the beauty is, Jesus loves each of us just as we are. Fat, thin, short etc. Unconditional love. What joy! With the Lord in our life, never again must we be lonely.

Pray to He who died for you, that's how much he values and loves you! Nobody on earth can compare. What can mere man do to you when God is on your side? So be heartened. Be joyful.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not sure why some christians feel like is supposed to be fair or that becoming a christian means life will be easier/fair. Life is not fair, never was and never will be (while we are on earth). Lifes hard, stressful and at times makes you question everything.

Hi

Actually, life becomes more difficult when you become a Christian. The enemy is alerted and jealous! Another soul he is missing out on. Things happen, things go wrong. But God provides strength to overcome all. It's amazing.

Upvote 0