United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*You are in the Catholic forum*

In Friday's blog post, I sought to explore the details of orginal sin and to convey that there are subtleties and stages to it. The sin was more than eating a piece of fruit; there were things that led up to it, both externally and internally. Today I would like to consider how the sacred text speaks of the sin of Adam and differentiates it to some extent from that of Eve...

Continued below.
http://blog.adw.org/2019/02/how-is-adams-sin-different-from-eves/

• Informative
Reactions: Sif

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The eating of the fruit reminds me of those times when a desire lurks in our heart but we're too afraid to do it. Luckily, we have a courageous/outrageous/devil-may-care/fearless friend who's willing to take the leap. And once it happens everyone enjoys the spoils. I could be wrong. But I've often felt he desired it too.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
*You are in the Catholic forum*

In Friday's blog post, I sought to explore the details of orginal sin and to convey that there are subtleties and stages to it. The sin was more than eating a piece of fruit; there were things that led up to it, both externally and internally. Today I would like to consider how the sacred text speaks of the sin of Adam and differentiates it to some extent from that of Eve...

Continued below.
http://blog.adw.org/2019/02/how-is-adams-sin-different-from-eves/
Adam knew better, Eve did not... (1 Timothy 2:14)

But, for some reason, because of this, she was in the transgression or sin, because she was deceived, and maybe in the moment of being deceived, or "already" by the time she got to Adam, maybe it was too late, and maybe Adam knew or recognized this as well, or somehow who knows...?

At any rate it says Adam was not deceived, so how could he himself, by himself, have been tempted by a/the deception, or a/the lie, that maybe only he knew was a deception or a lie, who knows...? Eve was clearly tempted by it, but was Adam...?

Maybe Adam maybe after seeing she had fallen into transgression, felt it was his fault somehow or something, and she was his responsibility, ect, or something...?

Again, who knows...?

But, Adam knew better, Eve did not...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Adam knew better, Eve did not... (1 Timothy 2:14)

But, for some reason, because of this, she was in the transgression or sin, because she was deceived, and maybe in the moment of being deceived, or "already" by the time she got to Adam, maybe it was too late, and maybe Adam knew or recognized this as well, or somehow who knows...?

At any rate it says Adam was not deceived, so how could he himself, by himself, have been tempted by a/the deception, or a/the lie, that maybe only he knew was a deception or a lie, who knows...? Eve was clearly tempted by it, but was Adam...?

Maybe Adam maybe after seeing she had fallen into transgression, felt it was his fault somehow or something, and she was his responsibility, ect, or something...?

Again, who knows...?

But, Adam knew better, Eve did not...

God Bless!

It seems fair to say that both of them individually chose to trust someone else over God. Eve chose to trust the serpent's version of reality, by trusting his version over what the serpent (mis)represented to her as God's. Then Adam, perhaps seeing Eve not dying, and her in some sense claiming it was ok, etc., trusted her over God. "When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it." So both broke trust with God. Individually.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a feeling nobody in this thread read either of Msgr. Pope's articles. He himself says his last article is not very politically correct.

Perhaps a little additional reflection may help to avoid knee-jerk reactions to either gloat or become angry. Adam and Eve's sins are described differently and can also be understood as weaknesses to which each was particularly suseptible: she to deception, he to being swayed with Eve's feminine mystique and beauty.

St. Paul does not simply ascribe these two weaknesses to Adam and Eve as individuals but also as male and female. Hence, St. Paul seems to teach that a woman ought not to have solemn teaching authority in the Church because of her tendency to be deceived.

More than simply that but you have to read it.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I know how I will get to him, I will trick her, and it will force him into a position of choosing between her and his God, and if he chooses her, the world will be "mine", mine, mine, mine, all mine...

(possible anyway)...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it was a combination of things. The last article Msgr. Pope wrote presented some things I had never thought of though.
I know how I will get to him, I will trick her, and it will force him into a position of choosing between her and his God, and if he chooses her, the world will be "mine", mine, mine, mine, all mine...

(possible anyway)...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God told Adam don't eat from the tree. Adam told Eve don't eat or even touch the tree. Adam added to God's commandment. Offer that was the source of the confusion. Eve realized she could touch the tree without perishing. So doubting some of what Adam told her she doubted all of it and so was deceived.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married