How important is the Bible in your life and daily living? (Christians Only)

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How much do you know about the Bible? How dose the Bible effect your daily living?
Today many say the Bible is out of date and no longer applicable in the time in which we now live. The Bible is one of the very best selling books year after year. However, read the Bible even once a month, studies show even fewer read the Bible on a daily basis.

If the Bible is the guide and teaching for how Christians should live, why don't Christians read it? Maybe its a time factor or maybe it no longer holds an interest?

Being open and honest, what is your relationship with the Bible and why. This is for a sermon I am preparing and really appreciate your help. Thank you.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
How much do you know about the Bible? How dose the Bible effect your daily living?
Today many say the Bible is out of date and no longer applicable in the time in which we now live. The Bible is one of the very best selling books year after year. However, read the Bible even once a month, studies show even fewer read the Bible on a daily basis.

If the Bible is the guide and teaching for how Christians should live, why don't Christians read it? Maybe its a time factor or maybe it no longer holds an interest?

Being open and honest, what is your relationship with the Bible and why. This is for a sermon I am preparing and really appreciate your help. Thank you.

For many people, Christian is a label they're glad to enjoy the benefits from socially and culturally, but beyond that there's very little substance.

Speaking broadly, Scripture has already told us of the many and the few; so it does make sense that those taking faith seriously will be the minority.

As far as people saying it's outdated... well, I can't imagine where they'd try and take stabs at that accusation. Countless aspects of Scripture are ideals that even non-Christians can and do affirm as good and a level of character and conduct that is socially and morally responsible.

Unfortunately we live in an age where now more than ever people are distracted. There's a lot to do in this world of ours that's more accessible to many than ever. The people that made little to no effort before are likely to make even less now.

As for myself, I found myself slipping over the past month because college started for me, but it was hard not reading daily and I am back to reading daily when I wake up and sometimes I'll read before bed(usually in the Psalms).

I do think it's incredibly important to read daily. We're to live in the world and not be of the world; no matter how righteous a person may be, I think in the societies many of us live in, grounding ourselves daily in the truth of the Lord is paramount when we consider how unrelenting the world's assault is on us in ways we may not even realise; ways that may be subconscious.

I try and read Proverbs every month too. It never stops giving and it's a convenient number of chapters for monthly reading. There's a lot in there regarding wisdom and conduct that a lot of people professing Christ could really benefit from both reading and taking seriously as it is one of many books that really lays out what is expected of us.

Edit: Forgot to add that I like to read commentaries as well when I study as well as other informative books by Pastors that expand upon Scripture or just in general.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For many people, Christian is a label they're glad to enjoy the benefits from socially and culturally, but beyond that there's very little substance.

Speaking broadly, Scripture has already told us of the many and the few; so it does make sense that those taking faith seriously will be the minority.

As far as people saying it's outdated... well, I can't imagine where they'd try and take stabs at that accusation. Countless aspects of Scripture are ideals that even non-Christians can and do affirm as good and a level of character and conduct that is socially and morally responsible.

Unfortunately we live in an age where now more than ever people are distracted. There's a lot to do in this world of ours that's more accessible to many than ever. The people that made little to no effort before are likely to make even less now.

As for myself, I found myself slipping over the past month because college started for me, but it was hard not reading daily and I am back to reading daily when I wake up and sometimes I'll read before bed(usually in the Psalms).

I do think it's incredibly important to read daily. We're to live in the world and not be of the world; no matter how righteous a person may be, I think in the societies many of us live in, grounding ourselves daily in the truth of the Lord is paramount when we consider how unrelenting the world's assault is on us in ways we may not even realise; ways that may be subconscious.

I try and read Proverbs every month too. It never stops giving and it's a convenient number of chapters for monthly reading. There's a lot in there regarding wisdom and conduct that a lot of people professing Christ could really benefit from both reading and taking seriously as it is one of many books that really lays out what is expected of us.

Edit: Forgot to add that I like to read commentaries as well when I study as well as other informative books by Pastors that expand upon Scripture or just in general.

Thank you for taking the time in your busy school schedule to respond to my thread God bless you.

• Friendly
Reactions: High Fidelity
Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If one is to take their faith seriously, daily Bible reading should be a top priority, especially in these times of apostasy. Even further one should also be praying several times a day, asking the Lord for His Word to pierce their heart and make plain the Gospel to them so they may walk upright before the Lord and be thankful for the undeserved grace that is bestowed.

When a Christian doesn't read his or her Bible, it is like a soldier going to the front without his rifle, or a mechanic going to the shop without his tools. When one starts to not take their faith as a serious matter (as I have done many a time in the past), then one of the first signs is lack of prayer and lack of searching the scriptures.

The enemy loves when a Christian's Bible sits on the book shelf all week. The enemy loves when a Bible is only ever opened on Sunday. When I stopped reading my Bible in 2012, I soon after stopped praying and soon after follower all sorts of wayward paths that lead far from God. But He who saves us is faithful and he brought be back into His fold.

Read your Bible. It should always be on you, close at hand.

Reactions: Inkfingers
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
While I don't follow a daily reading schedule as I used to I read from my Bible daily. It may be a couple of chapters or just a few verses that I think on for the day.

I admit that reading my Bible isn't like reading a novel or other writings. It seems as though when I pick it up to read my mind goes everywhere and I often get sleepy. I have to force myself often to read it and have difficulty remembering what I read. That is one of the things that convinces me that the Bible is the Word of God.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I'm in the word everyday. Sometimes I'll read long portions, other times short portions or audio version. I can't go too long before I'm at least thinking about scriptural truths, how they apply to life and work. Christians for hundreds of years had to live with only small portions of the word read during the Liturgy so we should consider ourselves blessed to have access to it on our phones, tablets, computers, etc. I think we can all benefit from keeping close accounts with God by daily Bible reading, however, it is more important to think deeply about the truths found therein. Reading your Bible like clockwork and without reflection and rumination is more of a superstition than a benefit.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Make sure you add in your sermon that for over a thousand years in the history of Christianity the great majority of believers in Christ did not have a bible and could not read one even if they did. And yet Christianity survived and would continue to do so even if it was not available to most. I believe many people end up worshiping their bible instead of their Savior.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟746,155.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Not to mention the church survived in spite of lack of access, not because of the lack of access to the scriptures...and in many cases what passed or still passes for Christianity in those churches that neglect the Bible, does not resemble anything found in inscripturated tradition. (aka the Bible)

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Read it everyday as the Lord says we are to.

Upvote 0