How important is music to your well-being?

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I've just got back into music recently. And I've noticed that if I have some good tune or lyric in my head, it helps me get through the day. Music can give us courage to face the day. This is what I especially like.
If I think back to my days of cynicism and contempt for the world, music was absent.
Music can really touch our hearts or motivate us back into action. Some of the music I like is old traditional catholic hymns but mainly secular stuff. I can see that songwriters and musicians are really glorifying God when they produce music that heals us.
It is sad if we stop listening to music as we age. My happiest times have often been just driving a car with a good stereo with my favourite music.

tstor

Apr 28, 2017
Maryland
✟45,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Celibate
I've just got back into music recently. And I've noticed that if I have some good tune or lyric in my head, it helps me get through the day. Music can give us courage to face the day. This is what I especially like.
If I think back to my days of cynicism and contempt for the world, music was absent.
Music can really touch our hearts or motivate us back into action. Some of the music I like is old traditional catholic hymns but mainly secular stuff. I can see that songwriters and musicians are really glorifying God when they produce music that heals us.
It is sad if we stop listening to music as we age. My happiest times have often been just driving a car with a good stereo with my favourite music.
I listen to music very rarely. Most days I never listen to any of it. When I do listen it is usually gospel music as I find that other forms of music can be dangerous for a Christian.

Reactions: Saint Beloved
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I listen to music very rarely. Most days I never listen to any of it. When I do listen it is usually gospel music as I find that other forms of music can be dangerous for a Christian.
Yeah a lot of Christians would agree with you. personally I find that too extreme but everyone to their own.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I listen to music like 10-12 hours a day, so yeah can't live without it.
Do you find it motivating or healing or some other word which I cant quite think of right now?

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟327,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you find it motivating or healing or some other word which I cant quite think of right now?

Motivating? Maybe if I'm doing something that requires energy. Healing? Only if I were suffering or in a bad state of mind but normally no. It's just something to pass the time until death.

Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes songs have revealed to me answers I've been looking for. For instance, a few years ago, I had to decide between two summer events, and I had been looking forward to both. A song I heard reminded me of one of them and helped me decide to go to that one, which turned out to be a fantastic decision. God also uses music to reach out to me sometimes.

Upvote 0

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
Music has always been a key thing for me both in playing an instrument and listening to sing along. I'm not fond of a lot of contemporary stuff that's come out. I mostly listen 70's and 80's stuff that I grew up with and I like listen to instrumental in the evenings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Sometimes songs have revealed to me answers I've been looking for. For instance, a few years ago, I had to decide between two summer events, and I had been looking forward to both. A song I heard reminded me of one of them and helped me decide to go to that one, which turned out to be a fantastic decision. God also uses music to reach out to me sometimes.
Good post. So insightful. I think God prefers the language of music to the English language. :)

• Agree
Reactions: PKFox
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Oh, I agree. I got turned on to Classical music at age ten or so, and I can always retreat into Bach or Beethoven when I need a boost.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Music has always been a key thing for me both in playing an instrument and listening to sing along. I'm not fond of a lot of contemporary stuff that's come out. I mostly listen 70's and 80's stuff that I grew up with and I like listen to instrumental in the evenings.
I'm very much into hymns myself!

Also, some of the instrumental stuff from Madonna is pretty good:

Upvote 0

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I'm very much into hymns myself!

Also, some of the instrumental stuff from Madonna is pretty good:

I grew up listening to musicians like Keith Greene, Stephen Curtis Chapman, Amy Grant... never got into Madonna I guess my parents weren't into secular pop much.

Yeah, instrumental hymns I'm not always in the mood to hear voices lol. I have a nature sounds playlist on my phone and sometimes I'll crave rain or ocean waves and at other times they're unbareable to me. I guess I'm kind of odd that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I grew up listening to musicians like Keith Greene, Stephen Curtis Chapman, Amy Grant... never got into Madonna I guess my parents weren't into secular pop much.
Well, the version I posted doesn't have lyrics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DavidaAC

Apr 26, 2017
US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like soft, quiet instrumental music the most. Loud music (even some Christian songs) seems to make me anxious and I don't listen to secular music.
I wouldn't say that music is extremely important to my well being, but I like using it to worship God and it's nice to listen to it sometimes.

Upvote 0

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I like soft, quiet instrumental music the most. Loud music (even some Christian songs) seems to make me anxious and I don't listen to secular music.
I wouldn't say that music is extremely important to my well being, but I like using it to worship God and it's nice to listen to it sometimes.

The older I get the less noise I like to have in my immediate environment. I never thought it would happen. Do you think that's influence from the Holy Spirit?

Upvote 0

DavidaAC

Apr 26, 2017
US
✟9,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The older I get the less noise I like to have in my immediate environment. I never thought it would happen. Do you think that's influence from the Holy Spirit?
It could be, I noticed I became like that after I was saved. I'm not completely sure though...

Upvote 0

Saint Beloved

Site Supporter
May 10, 2017
uk
✟62,522.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
It could be, I noticed I became like that after I was saved. I'm not completely sure though...

It's been a subtle gradual thing I didn't notice it at first, my reading habits hit me more noticeably.

Reactions: DavidaAC
Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love listening to music, it can change my mood and make me feel wonderful. I have a few christian songs (like 30), mostly older groups and older music. Especially choir. Outside of that my other like 2,200 songs are just music (no lyrics). They inspire me. Make me feel great.

Reactions: PKFox
Upvote 0