✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello;

I was christened an infant into the Roman Catholic Church in 1944, and eventually attended catechism to complete First Holy Communion and Confirmation.

My siblings are Catholic, my mother was Catholic, my eldest brother entered the priesthood and made it to the rank of Friar before passing away in May 2018 of cancer. (Though he was a Friar, my brother was no saint. He had a problem with alcohol till AA helped straighten him out). My wife is a former Catholic, her dad was Catholic, his wife was Catholic, my aunt and uncle were Catholics, and my wife's cousins are Catholic; one of them is qualified to teach Catechism.

I was loyal to Rome and its teachings up until 1968, then one day I was approached by a Conservative Baptist minister who asked me if I was prepared for Christ's return.

Well; I must've been either asleep or absent the day that the nuns talked about Jesus coming back because that man's question was the very first time in my whole life that I can remember somebody telling me.

My initial reaction was alarm because I instinctively knew that were I called on the carpet for a face-to-face with Jesus, it would not go well for me because I had a lot to answer for. Well; I don't like being made to feel afraid so I became indignant and demanded to know why Jesus would come back. That's when I found out for the very first time that it was in the plan for Christ to take over the world. (I had somehow missed that in catechism too.)

Then the minister asked me if I was going to heaven. Well; of course I had no clue because Catholics honestly don't know what to expect when they pass away. I was crossing my fingers while in the back of my mind dreading the worst.

Then the man said; "Don't you know that Jesus died for your sins?"

Well; I had been taught in catechism that Jesus died for the sins of the world; that much I knew; but honestly believed all along that he had been a victim of unfortunate circumstances. It was a shock to discover that Jesus' trip to the cross was deliberate, and that his Father was thinking of me when His son passed away, viz: my sins were among the sins of the world that Jesus took to the cross with him.

At that very instant-- scarcely a nanosecond --something took over in my mind as I fully realized, to my great relief, that Hell could be easily avoided and Heaven was well within reach.

That was an amazing experience. In just the two or three minutes of conversation with that Baptist minister, I obtained an understanding of Jesus' crucifixion that many tedious years of catechism classes had somehow failed to get across. Consequently, my confidence in the Roman Catholic Church was shattered like a bar of peanut brittle candy dropped on the sidewalk from the tippy top of the Chrysler building.

Long story short; I eventually went with that man to his church and, side by side with him and a couple of elders, knelt at the rail down front and prayed a really simple, naive prayer that went something like this;

"God, I know I'm a sinner. I would like to take advantage of your son's death"

My prayer wasn't much to brag about; but it was the smartest sixteen words I'd ever spoken up to that time.

Matt 10:32 . .Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.
_

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi, WebersHome.

I am certain that there are Catholic readers who are saying to themselves about most of what you wrote, "We teach that just as much as the Baptists do!"

But, no matter. If you have had the awakening that is needed, are now a confident believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, knowing that he died for you, and trust him for your salvation...

WE ARE HAPPY TO HEAR IT AND HAPPY FOR YOU.

Upvote 0

Panevino

Sep 25, 2011
✟41,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello;

I was christened an infant into the Roman Catholic Church in 1944, and eventually attended catechism to complete First Holy Communion and Confirmation.

My siblings are Catholic, my mother was Catholic, my eldest brother entered the priesthood and made it to the rank of Friar before passing away in May 2018 of cancer. (Though he was a Friar, my brother was no saint. He had a problem with alcohol till AA helped straighten him out). My wife is a former Catholic, her dad was Catholic, his wife was Catholic, my aunt and uncle were Catholics, and my wife's cousins are Catholic; one of them is qualified to teach Catechism.

I was loyal to Rome and its teachings up until 1968, then one day I was approached by a Conservative Baptist minister who asked me if I was prepared for Christ's return.

Well; I must've been either asleep or absent the day that the nuns talked about Jesus coming back because that man's question was the very first time in my whole life that I can remember somebody telling me.

My initial reaction was alarm because I instinctively knew that were I called on the carpet for a face-to-face with Jesus, it would not go well for me because I had a lot to answer for. Well; I don't like being made to feel afraid so I became indignant and demanded to know why Jesus would come back. That's when I found out for the very first time that it was in the plan for Christ to take over the world. (I had somehow missed that in catechism too.)

Then the minister asked me if I was going to heaven. Well; of course I had no clue because Catholics honestly don't know what to expect when they pass away. I was crossing my fingers while in the back of my mind dreading the worst.

Well; I had been taught in catechism that Jesus died for the sins of the world; that much I knew; but honestly believed all along that he had been a victim of unfortunate circumstances. It was a shock to discover that Jesus' trip to the cross was deliberate, and that his Father was thinking of me when His son passed away, viz: my sins were among the sins of the world that Jesus took to the cross with him.

At that very instant-- scarcely a nanosecond --something took over in my mind as I fully realized, to my great relief, that Hell could be easily avoided and Heaven was well within reach.

That was an amazing experience. In just the two or three minutes of conversation with that Baptist minister, I obtained an understanding of Jesus' crucifixion that many tedious years of catechism classes had somehow failed to get across. Consequently, my confidence in the Roman Catholic Church was shattered like a bar of peanut brittle candy dropped on the sidewalk from the tippy top of the Chrysler building.

Long story short; I eventually went with that man to his church and, side by side with him and a couple of elders, knelt at the rail down front and prayed a really simple, naive prayer that went something like this;

My prayer wasn't much to brag about; but it was the smartest sixteen words I'd ever spoken up to that time.

Matt 10:32 . .Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven.
_
Sorry you did not get the opportunity to absorb an love of Christ as a Catholic, please consider that at Mass there are many wonderful words of prayer.
Including the beginning penitential act
“I confess to you almighty God and to you my brothers and sisters that I have sinned....”
And later “Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father you take away the sins of the world have mercy on us..”
Within the context of approaching the cross individually for what he did for each one of us

It is quite spectacular And solemn

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When someone is on their deathbed, and begins to perceive that Hell is more than just a silly myth, and that they're likely to end up there: they don't need religion, no, they need a knight in shining armor, so to speak, and it just so happens there's a God-given knight available.

Luke 2:8-12 . .And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified.

. . . But the angel said to them; "Don't be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today, in the town of David, a savior has been born to you; he is Messiah, the Lord."

The angel announced the birth of a savior; defined by Webster's as one who rescues. We've all seen examples-- lifeguards, firemen, cops, emergency medical teams, Coast Guard units, snow patrols, and mountain rescue teams. Rescue workers typically assist people in distress who are facing imminent death and/or grave danger and utterly helpless to do anything about it.

In other words: Jesus Christ is a lifeline, so to speak, that God is all set to throw to anyone and everyone for whom the sum of all fears is a foregone conclusion.

John 3:14-17 . . As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; that whoever believes may in him have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

The incident to which Christ referred is located at Num 21:5-9. Long story short: Moses' people became weary of eating manna all the time at every meal. But instead of courteously, and diplomatically, petitioning their divine benefactor for a different diet, they became hostile and confrontational; angrily demanding tastier food.

In response to their insolence, and their ingratitude for His providence; God sent a swarm of deadly poisonous vipers among them; which began striking people; and every strike was 100% fatal, no exceptions.

After a number of people died, the rest came to their senses and begged Moses to intercede. In reply; The Lord instructed Moses to cobble a replica of the vipers and hoist it up on a pole in plain view so that everyone dying from snakebite could look to it for relief.

The key issue here is that the replica was the only God-given remedy for the people's bites-- not sacrifices and offerings, not tithing, not church attendance, not scapulars, not confession, not holy days of obligation, not the Sabbath, not the golden rule, not charity, not Bible study and/or Sunday school, not self denial, not vows of poverty, not the Ten Commandments, not one's religion of choice, no; not even prayers. The replica was it; nothing else would suffice to save their lives.

As an allegory, Moses' replica indicates that Christ's crucifixion for the sins of the world is the only God-given rescue from the wrath of God; and when people accept it, then according to John 3:14-17 and John 5:24, they qualify for safety. Those who reject his crucifixion as the only God-given rescue from a fate worse than death, are already on the docket to face it.

John 3:18 . .Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

» His son's "name" in this case is relative to Moses and the deadly snakes.
_

Upvote 0

Panevino

Sep 25, 2011
✟41,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
“If” is one of the biggest words in the scriptures and has implications within the context of believing

Matthew 19:17. And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Matthew....Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me

Matthew 6:15But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Matthew 5:23-25 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

John 6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world......53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

John 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;

John 14:15-16 If ye love me, keep my commandments. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

John 15:14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

Upvote 0

Panevino

Sep 25, 2011
✟41,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

And that's how you became a Baptist? By complying with all those ifs?
_
Hi
No, certainly Catholic.
But please note posts of these forums always tend to suffer from lack of nuance as they are sometimes done quickly and focused on one particular thing.

My post flagged your reference to no need for the commandments and various other things, which differ from what Jesus says. However at the same time of course the only source is the Crucifixion and sacrifice of our Passover Lamb as our High priest and Lamb, and tearing of veil now allowing us to enter and receive Him.

At the same time as believers we need to persevere per John 15:14 ,john14:15-16 etc..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My post flagged your reference to no need for the commandments and various other things, which differ from what Jesus says.

Jesus himself likened his crucifixion to the replica of the deadly snakes (John 3:14-18).

When Moses' people were in the grip of death from snakebite, the last thing they needed to hear was somebody preaching the Ten Commandments and various other things. They desperately needed an antivenom (a.k.a. antivenin) and that right quick: the same goes for Catholics and Baptists.

1Cor 15:56-57 . .The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

I was unaware of my status as a dead man walking until that Baptist minister came along and told me. In point of fact, I sincerely believed that my chance as a Catholic of escaping the sum of all fears was better than non Catholics; but when your get right down to it, dead is dead; whether one's religion of choice is Catholic or Baptist makes no difference when you're a dead man walking. Same with those poisonous snakes. Their venom didn't care that victims were Abraham's progeny nor that they were God's chosen people.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Panevino

Sep 25, 2011
✟41,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Jesus himself likened his crucifixion to the replica of the deadly snakes (John 3:14-18).
it is great isn’t it. There quite a few things used as as a conduit of grace in scripture, not the source but yes a conduit and in this case a statue.
Ambulances and some hospitals use this symbol.

When Moses' people were in the grip of death from snakebite, the last thing they needed to hear was somebody preaching the Ten Commandments and various other things. They desperately needed an antivenom (a.k.a. antivenin) and that right quick: the same goes for Catholics and Baptists.

1Cor 15:56-57 . .The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

I was unaware of my status as a dead man walking until that Baptist minister came along and told me. In point of fact, I sincerely believed that my chance as a Catholic of escaping the sum of all fears was better than non Catholics; but when your get right down to it, dead is dead; whether one's religion of choice is Catholic or Baptist makes no difference when you're a dead man walking. Same with those poisonous snakes. They didn't care that their victims were Abraham's progeny nor that they were God's chosen people.
_
OT types are a shadow of the NT fulfillment.
The people were saved physically.

The crucifixion / sacrifice of our pascal lamb along with his resurrection is the source (changing death from a hole to a door) allowing us to enter heaven if we believe in him. On our journey we also need to do His will and listen to the things Jesus calls us to, or else we are not actually believing in him

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The crucifixion / sacrifice of our pascal lamb along with his resurrection is the source (changing death from a hole to a door) allowing us to enter heaven if we believe in him.

Below is one of Jesus' statements; it is deliberately misquoted. Watch for the revision.

"So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. . . If anyone enters by me, he can be saved." (John 10:7-9)

The phrase "he can be saved" is wrong. Jesus actually said "he will be saved".

When people claim that Jesus' sheep can still be lost even though they are under his care in his sheepfold, they are casting a vote of no-confidence in his reliability as a shepherd. In point of fact they are insinuating that his claim to be the good shepherd is little more than political rhetoric.

The sheep are a father's gift to his son.

John 6:37 . . Everything that the Father gives me will come to me,

The Father expects His son to lose none of the sheep that God entrusted to his care.

John 6:38-39 . . I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me. And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what He gave me, but that I should raise it [on] the last day.

Jesus claimed to be 100% compliant with the Father's expectations.

John 8:29 . .The one who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him.

Now, if Jesus were to lose even one head of the sheep entrusted to his care, then he would have to revise his statement to say that he pleases the one who sent him much of the time, but certainly not always.

It's often alleged that the sheep can leave Jesus' sheepfold by means of their own consent. However; once the sheep enter by the door, from then on God's free will trumps theirs. In other words: it is God's free will that His son lose none of the sheep entrusted to his care.

John 10:28-29 . . No one can take them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.

So then, in order for a sheep to leave the sheepfold-- and thus annul Jesus' statement that "he will be saved" --the sheep would first of all have to overpower the good shepherd, and afterwards overpower God.

I mentioned a knight in shining armor in post No.4: well, as it turns out, the sheep have two knights on their side, and both are invincible.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Panevino

Sep 25, 2011
✟41,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Below is one of Jesus' statements; it is deliberately misquoted. Watch for the revision.

"So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. . . If anyone enters by me, he can be saved." (John 10:7-9)

The phrase "he can be saved" is wrong. Jesus actually said "he will be saved".

When people claim that Jesus' sheep can still be lost even though they are under his care in his sheepfold, they are casting a vote of no-confidence in his reliability as a shepherd. In point of fact they are insinuating that his claim to be the good shepherd is little more than political rhetoric.

The sheep are a father's gift to his son.

John 6:37 . . Everything that the Father gives me will come to me,

The Father expects His son to lose none of the sheep that God entrusted to his care.

John 6:38-39 . . I came down from heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me. And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what He gave me, but that I should raise it [on] the last day.

Jesus claimed to be 100% compliant with the Father's expectations.

John 8:29 . .The one who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him.

Now, if Jesus were to lose even one head of the sheep entrusted to his care, then he would have to revise his statement to say that he pleases the one who sent him much of the time, but certainly not always.

NOTE: It's often alleged that the sheep of their own free will can leave Jesus' sheepfold. However; once the sheep enter by the door, from then on God's free will trumps theirs. In other words: it is God's free will that His son lose none of the sheep entrusted to his care.

John 10:28-29 . . No one can take them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.

So then, in order for a sheep to leave the sheepfold-- and thus annul Jesus' statement that "he will be saved" --the sheep would first of all have to overpower the good shepherd, and afterwards overpower God.

I mentioned a knight in shining armor in post No.4: well, as it turns out, the sheep have two knights on their side, and both are invincible.
_

Ok but in your theology Who do these verse relate to? Believers, yes?

Matthew 19:17. And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments

1 Corinthians 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 19:17. And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments

1 Corinthians 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Were I still a Catholic instead of Jesus' sheep; those two passages would make me very nervous because if there was ever one good thing that the Church instilled within me it was a haunting dread of the sum of all fears.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Panevino

Sep 25, 2011
✟41,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Were I still a Catholic instead of Jesus' sheep; those two passages would make me very nervous because if there was ever one good thing I got from the Church it was a haunting dread of the sum of all fears.
_
Catholic and jesus’ sheep are not mutually exclusive. If so they did a pretty good job regardless of spreading awareness of Christ.

The dred is an understandably pessimistic word for righteous fear which is a gift of the Holy spirit received at sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation unearned through Grace.
Its a bit like the stereotype of “Catholic guilt” being a bad thing/repressive, as if an awareness of sin is bad.
Those two verses remain in scripture catholic or not.
Jesus calls us to the commandments and Paul expresses awareness in knowing that he could be cast away while aware of Jesus words and being branches (grafted in or not)

Who are those verses directed to for you? If it is unbelievers(not drawn) how would they have ears to hear it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 19:17 . . And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments

Seeing as none but God are good, then it's obvious that none but God can enter into life by means of goodness. However, if someone would like to give it a try anyway in spite of their failure being a foregone conclusion; then Jesus suggests they begin their quest with the commandments.

If you're somehow under the impression that Paul was in danger of being kicked out of Jesus' sheepfold due to a lack of self control, then I can easily assure you that your opinion of 1Cor 9:27 needs revision.

John 6:37 . . All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

My confidence in Jesus that he will cast no one out is based upon the fact that he never disappoints Him who sent him, rather, always completes the assignments given him by the Father.

John 8:29 . .The one who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to Him.

One of the assignments given to Jesus is to make sure that none of the sheep get lost.

John 6:38-39 . . For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of Him that sent me. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which He hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Were even just one of the sheep cast away-- i.e. culled from the herd --then Jesus would be a failure at completing the assignment that the Father has given him to complete; and his statement at John 6:37 would become unreliable.

FAQ: If Paul was in no danger of being culled from the herd due to a lack of self control, then what did he mean by 1Cor 9:27?

A: The better translation of the Greek word for castaway is "disqualified". In other words; Paul could expect to be awarded for his missionary work only if he played by the rules; so to speak.

Let's say, hypothetically, that my eldest brother-- the Friar mentioned in post No.1 --was a model clergyman except for pedophilia. Well; that would disqualify my brother's priesthood. He would not be duly recognized for his service to God because his service would be dishonorable. My brother was a priest for 52 years; they would be worthy of no more praise than as if he'd been the leader of a Boy Scout Troup instead.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Panevino

Sep 25, 2011
✟41,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Seeing as none but God are good, then it's obvious that none but God can enter into life by means of goodness. However, if someone would like to give it a try anyway in spite of their failure being a foregone conclusion; then Jesus suggests they begin their quest with the commandments.

If you're somehow under the impression that Paul was in danger of being kicked out of Jesus' sheepfold due to a lack of self control, then I can easily assure you that your opinion of 1Cor 9:27 needs revision.

John 6:37 . . All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

My confidence in Jesus that he will cast no one out is based upon the fact that he never disappoints Him who sent him, rather, always completes the assignments given him by the Father.

John6:37 points to people who cometh to him (ie I understand to be an ongoing action not a one time event, ie on a journey / walking towards, similar to the Israelites walking fed by the bread from from heaven along the way)

This makes sense with John 15:1-10
(the branches that abide in him remain attached and those abiding keep the commandments)

Similarly with
Romans 11:22
See then the goodness and the severity of God: towards them indeed that are fallen, the severity; but towards thee, the goodness of God, if thou abide in goodness, otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith

Luke 8:13
They on the rock are they, which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
John 8:29 . .The one who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to Him.

One of the assignments given to Jesus is to make sure that none of the sheep get lost.

John 6:38-39 . . For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of Him that sent me. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which He hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

One was lost for a purpose

John 17:11-12
And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Were even just one of the sheep cast away-- i.e. culled from the herd --then Jesus would be a failure at completing the assignment that the Father has given him to complete; and his statement at John 6:37 would become unreliable.
The failure would not be Jesus’ but the person. Like he did not fail with Judas.

We are called to do the will of the Father
But if we fail.... we need to return like the prodigal son

Matthew 12:50
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

FAQ: If Paul was in no danger of being culled from the herd due to a lack of self control, then what did he mean by 1Cor 9:27?

A: The better translation of the Greek word for castaway is "disqualified". In other words; Paul could expect to be awarded for his missionary work only if he played by the rules; so to speak.

Let's say, hypothetically, that my eldest brother-- the Friar mentioned in post No.1 --was a model clergyman except for pedophilia. Well; that would disqualify my brother's priesthood. He would not be duly recognized for his service to God because his service would be dishonorable. My brother was a priest for 52 years; they would be worthy of no more praise than as if he'd been the leader of a Boy Scout Troup instead.
_
HE knew he was on a journey
2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith

Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John 17:11-12 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Judas never was Jesus' sheep; he was a "son of perdition", i.e. the Devil's sheep (cf. Gen 3:15). Had he been Jesus' sheep, Judas would've been saved instead of lost.

"So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. . . If anyone enters by me, he will be saved." (John 10:7-9)

Judas was an unbelieving insider who had no interest in entering the door. Jesus was aware of this situation all along; it didn't take him by surprise. (John 6:70)

Unbelieving insiders like Judas are still to this day active in Christianity; but some eventually show their true colors.

1John 2:18-19 . . Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.
_

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christopher Cox

Aug 26, 2014
Forest Hill, London, UK
✟8,448.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hello;

_

I found your post quite interesting. I have no Catholic background at all but your title ''How I became a Baptist'' caught my attention. I became a Baptist by accident. I was searching for the truth and a group of Baptists doing some outreach stopped me in the street and
invited me back to their Church. I have nothing against Baptists but had it been a group of Anglicans. SDA members or even Catholics my spiritual path may have been very different. As it stands I am now completely none Denominational

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hello;

_

Wow! That is an amazing testimony!

Baptists have also made a huge impact on the denomination that I am a member of --- Seventh-day Adventist.

1. William Miller was a Baptist evangelist that started what people called the "Adventist" movement in the 1800's preaching a pre-mill second coming of Christ. (Pre-mill was very unpopular at that time).
2. Once the Adventists started to move toward more formal organization - they came in contact with "Seventh-day Baptists" who asked them to take a look at the seventh day issue regarding the Sabbath - and as a result the Seventh-day Adventist church was raised up. (Although William Miller himself did not accept what the Seventh-day Baptists had found in the bible - yet the SDA denomination was formed and continued on without Miller.)
3. The "Baptist Confession of Faith" sectn 19 - written by C.H. Spurgeon is on Bible subject of "Law and Grace" and reads exactly as the SDA denomination understands that topic - with the seventh day Sabbath given to mankind in Eden and included in the Jer 31:31-34 "New Covenant" Law written on the heart and mind -- so that the Sabbath commandment is there the saints/born-again Christian. (As D.L. Moody also affirms in his sermon on the TEN Commandments)
4. I have at times (for a number of years) attended both a Southern Baptist congregation in the south - as well as my own SDA congregation and found that the service and the Sunday-school format is more or less identical to the way our services go each Sabbath.

Upvote 0