How have Christians changed over the covid period?

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What has been your impression of the attitudes, emotions and resilience of Christians during this period of isolation and zoom meetings?
Surprisingly and disappointingly, I have noticed many have been shutting down in their social attitudes and have been introvert and family/domestic orientated.
We have had a very very difficult house move and renovation over 8 months which involved us living in a rented flat and we relieved our stress and isolation from church by phoning and where possible visiting. And because this is what we thought we should do as well. Most seemed not very interested in our situation but certainly wanted to talk about themselves.
My wife and I both noticed that few people would phone us. And have wondered whether when we met together as church in a building, all the conversations after the service were just going through the motions.
What does this bode for after covid when churches really reopen?

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I think it has caused Christians to be more ecumenical and outward looking.
During Covid19, I have seen churches grouping together on various initiatives to support those who are most vulnerable and in need.
Whilst the current pandemic has become a barrier for many people attending their regular churches, I think it has also removed a lot of barriers. Christians are meeting online. They are meeting with brothers and sisters at different churches, through social media such as Facebook, Zoom, Youtube. They are taking part in services at churches they would not ordinarily attend.

Upvote 0

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What has been your impression of the attitudes, emotions and resilience of Christians during this period of isolation and zoom meetings?
Surprisingly and disappointingly, I have noticed many have been shutting down in their social attitudes and have been introvert and family/domestic orientated.
We have had a very very difficult house move and renovation over 8 months which involved us living in a rented flat and we relieved our stress and isolation from church by phoning and where possible visiting. And because this is what we thought we should do as well. Most seemed not very interested in our situation but certainly wanted to talk about themselves.
My wife and I both noticed that few people would phone us. And have wondered whether when we met together as church in a building, all the conversations after the service were just going through the motions.
What does this bode for after covid when churches really reopen?

I found something very interesting this morning. I've always believed this to be true and it looks like a very reputable organization has just verified it.

A closer look at U.S. deaths due to COVID-19

Upvote 0

Rachel20

May 30, 2020
STX
✟58,109.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'm not sure that's a bad thing. More quiet time for introspection and focusing our thoughts on God and family? These relationships are usually the greatest casualties from too-busy lives.

Upvote 0

Emily Write

Jul 19, 2021
Texas
✟7,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I think some of the ones I know have gotten a lot more mean spirited, and its has either hurt or destroyed friendships I used to have. It got so bad that I actually had to leave one group of ladies who used to be a lot of fun to be around, but now get triggered by the most minor disagreements so much that they have become bullies to anyone who says anything any differently. The same group of people that used to be ok with me being a moderate now see me as a threat because I'm not a conservative.

Like, they are so political about the whole thing and think less about other people's lives are affected by the situation to the point where they will pitch a fit over wearing a mask or others taking vaccines. And it is destroying relationships with some family members and coworkers. I'm not saying they are not Christians, but this is not Christ like behavior. And I've had a few conservatives thankfully stand up for me because they also get that what is going on with them because of the pandemic is not ok or godly.

Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it has caused Christians to be more ecumenical and outward looking.
During Covid19, I have seen churches grouping together on various initiatives to support those who are most vulnerable and in need.
Whilst the current pandemic has become a barrier for many people attending their regular churches, I think it has also removed a lot of barriers. Christians are meeting online. They are meeting with brothers and sisters at different churches, through social media such as Facebook, Zoom, Youtube. They are taking part in services at churches they would not ordinarily attend.

Hi Anthony,
A preacher recently mentioned the new 'pyjama-zoom attenders'. He fears we now have a generation of church people who won't be able to it or stand in one place for an hour, and certainly not listen to a 45 sermon on a hard seat. He reckons he's probably lost a third of his congregation to zoom-ecumenism.
Maybe not a disastrous thing, in your eyes.

Upvote 0

hopeforhappiness

Jan 24, 2016
united kingdom
✟14,857.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think some of the ones I know have gotten a lot more mean spirited, and its has either hurt or destroyed friendships I used to have. It got so bad that I actually had to leave one group of ladies who used to be a lot of fun to be around, but now get triggered by the most minor disagreements so much that they have become bullies to anyone who says anything any differently. The same group of people that used to be ok with me being a moderate now see me as a threat because I'm not a conservative.

Like, they are so political about the whole thing and think less about other people's lives are affected by the situation to the point where they will pitch a fit over wearing a mask or others taking vaccines. And it is destroying relationships with some family members and coworkers. I'm not saying they are not Christians, but this is not Christ like behavior. And I've had a few conservatives thankfully stand up for me because they also get that what is going on with them because of the pandemic is not ok or godly.

Hi Emily,

Yes, there's a lot here that I can relate to..

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,845.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi Anthony,
A preacher recently mentioned the new 'pyjama-zoom attenders'. He fears we now have a generation of church people who won't be able to it or stand in one place for an hour, and certainly not listen to a 45 sermon on a hard seat. He reckons he's probably lost a third of his congregation to zoom-ecumenism.
Maybe not a disastrous thing, in your eyes.
The "pyjama-zoom attenders" part made me smile! :sweatsmile:
Seriously though, whilst I think that social media and video-conferencing has been helpful during the pandemic, it's definitely not the same as meeting people face to face.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Adversity is a truth serum. I don’t think people changed. The pandemic provided an opportunity to witness parts of their character we didn’t encounter elsewhere.

No one starts berating friends and loved ones over different beliefs overnight. The behavior was always there lurking beneath the surface. Covid exposed it.

The same holds true for acts of kindness and togetherness. I benefited from many and shared the same with others.

Oftentimes we discover who we are when our back’s against the wall. This is an opportunity for introspection and spiritual growth.

~bella

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have bonded with the Lord at services. The first pandemic was hard but I found a old copy of a Bible which I read. During the pandemic I prayed a lot quietly for the victims and their families. This is a interesting discussion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,340.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Covid, as adverse situations often do, revealed what was already there to be revealed.

Some people became more committed to serving the Lord in their local church and ministry activities during lock-down. When meetings were on zoom or you tube there were still people with servant hearts, organising these things. During lockdown some deacons phoned round the vulnerable or isolated members in churches daily to see they were doing ok and organized their groceries to be delivered. Those church members who died from Covid or anything else were given a funeral which took much more effort to organize than usual and were much more poignant than usual. When churches reopened there were a hundred new things to be done to ensure legal compliance. Someone had to see to these. Many people in churches stepped up to the plate to meet the hundreds of new needs. Some people were in their church every week, or every day, serving quietly and selflessly behind the scenes. Hardship funds were established to help those who lost their jobs, or their lives, through Covid. Some people in financial hardship themselves gave money to help other church members in worse hardship.

On the other end of the spectrum, those who found it an effort to watch an online service in their pyjamas. They will drift back in some shape or form, unless they find something more entertaining to do on Sunday. Their faith in the magic elves who run churches undimmed.

The Kingdom of God is like a pearl of great price, those who find it sell everything they have in order to gain that pearl.

God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0