• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How has God helped you?

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In regards to your OCD, how has God helped you? In addition violent/harm thoughts, I also have Scrupulosity, my main doubt being doubting my salvation. I've also obsessed over blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

The obsession of doubting my salvation is the worst; some people believe God either chooses you or He doesn't. I accepted Christ as my Savior and yielded my life to Him, admitted I am a sinner, etc. Not at the urging of anyone, but because I believe God put it on my heart to do so. When God does choose you, say some, it consumes you.

Then I wonder, did I really feel consumed enough? Did I really mean it? I've also searched online for assurance of salvation. Bad I know.

Eventually, I just said "God, I trust you what you said regarding salvation. I believe I am safe in your hands and, when I die, You'll be there." Which is really hard when you have awful anxiety. I still ask God to help me trust Him.

How has God helped you with this doubt in particular?

• Prayers
Reactions: Shawb

God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In regards to your OCD, how has God helped you? In addition violent/harm thoughts, I also have Scrupulosity, my main doubt being doubting my salvation. I've also obsessed over blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

The obsession of doubting my salvation is the worst; some people believe God either chooses you or He doesn't. I accepted Christ as my Savior and yielded my life to Him, admitted I am a sinner, etc. Not at the urging of anyone, but because I believe God put it on my heart to do so. When God does choose you, say some, it consumes you.

Then I wonder, did I really feel consumed enough? Did I really mean it? I've also searched online for assurance of salvation. Bad I know.

Eventually, I just said "God, I trust you what you said regarding salvation. I believe I am safe in your hands and, when I die, You'll be there." Which is really hard when you have awful anxiety. I still ask God to help me trust Him.

I also struggle with my salvation and it's hard. I believe that the way that God and Jesus Christ have helped me are by always being with me and "never leaving nor forsaking me". Jesus has also helped me by revealing His love for me by giving me comfort and He also helps me read His Word which really really helps me. God loves you so much and remember buddy the Bible says that "if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved". God bless you and Jesus is Lord.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That actually sounds like a really great strategy! I think that's similar to what John Bunyan did. I did have the obsession about losing my salvation but it was a long time ago and I hadn't really learned much about fighting OCD back then. So I don't think I did much of anything. I'm sure I had compulsions like reassurance seeking. Maybe I just decided that I wouldn't be able to solve it right away, and ignored it for awhile. I really can't remember, I just know that after a while it stopped bothering me. You should read Mitzi VanCleve's book, Strivings Within: The OCD Christian. She also has a great article (and blog) at this link:
Managing the Haunting Thoughts of Pure O – OCD

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Wow!! If this just doesn't hit home. I struggled with this for a long, long time to be honest. I avoided it like the plague. I would pray a lot and sometimes when I'd be in prayer I would just start down that path that led to me freaking out. Other times I would be falling asleep and like 3 in the morning I would jump up wide awake, mind racing, thinking of it. I'd have to turn on television or walk around to distract me. I kept pursuing the Lord though. It kept coming around. Then one day, I really came to him with a pure heart. In as much as I asked him to purge my sin from my lips just so that I could talk to him. ( like in Isaiah 6 ). Sounds weird, but God gave me a dream. In this dream, he conquered my fear of death. He showed me things that were literally his word as he gave us. I actually shared the dream in "Sign Gifts" if you care to read it. It's called "Dream Vision Interpret". Point being, seek him with your heart, with a clear conscience, knowing that he knows all of everything you are.
give him his due, and he will heal you of this. After all, he knows what you are going through.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow!! If this just doesn't hit home. I struggled with this for a long, long time to be honest. I avoided it like the plague. I would pray a lot and sometimes when I'd be in prayer I would just start down that path that led to me freaking out. Other times I would be falling asleep and like 3 in the morning I would jump up wide awake, mind racing, thinking of it. I'd have to turn on television or walk around to distract me. I kept pursuing the Lord though. It kept coming around. Then one day, I really came to him with a pure heart. In as much as I asked him to purge my sin from my lips just so that I could talk to him. ( like in Isaiah 6 ). Sounds weird, but God gave me a dream. In this dream, he conquered my fear of death. He showed me things that were literally his word as he gave us. I actually shared the dream in "Sign Gifts" if you care to read it. It's called "Dream Vision Interpret". Point being, seek him with your heart, with a clear conscience, knowing that he knows all of everything you are.
give him his due, and he will heal you of this. After all, he knows what you are going through.

'

S

Guys......these are satanic attacks ....you are saved Believers.....Satan has lost the battle for your soul....all he can do now is make you miserable to ruin your joy . That joy is a very effective soul winner to a lost,unhappy world.
Satan hates that ,thus he makes you fearful person.stand on the promises ofGod “ anybody that asks to be saved .....WILL ...... be saved..... Not put on probation. That is aLIE from Hell.

Please check out this great site. Jesus without religion. Just google it.......you can thank me later! Lol

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
'

S

Guys......these are satanic attacks ....you are saved Believers.....Satan has lost the battle for your soul....all he can do now is make you miserable to ruin your joy . That joy is a very effective soul winner to a lost,unhappy world.
Satan hates that ,thus he makes you fearful person.stand on the promises ofGod “ anybody that asks to be saved .....WILL ...... be saved..... Not put on probation. That is aLIE from Hell.

Please check out this great site. Jesus without religion. Just google it.......you can thank me later! Lol
You probably didn't read the post I referred to in my original response, where in my dream, joy filled my entire being, so much so, that when I awoke, I had uncontrollable tears of happiness streaming down my face because my body literally could not contain the joy I had been feeling. Scriptures refer to "joy unspeakable" and that is exactly how I felt. I felt like I was going to explode from joy. Ridiculous sounding, quite possibly mad, I know, but real nonetheless. Point being, you approach God with a pure conscience and open heart, and he gives freely those things we need, which in my case, he did. As it was something that had troubled me, we are still flesh after all. We need God's strength. I hoped to encourage others by telling them what God had done for me and how he strengthened me. He will do the same for you, in the way that you need it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
'

S

Satan can use our weaknesses against us and I believe he certainly is active in our world today. However, there are many diseases/disorders (OCD being one of them) that are caused primarily by biological factors, just as physical diseases are, so please use caution when implying that mental disorders are direct attacks from Satan. Hearing that can be devastating to someone who's already struggling with a scrupulous conscience.

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Satan can use our weaknesses against us and I believe he certainly is active in our world today. However, there are many diseases/disorders (OCD being one of them) that are caused primarily by biological factors, just as physical diseases are, so please use caution when implying that mental disorders are direct attacks from Satan. Hearing that can be devastating to someone who's already struggling with a scrupulous conscience.

Ok....my prayers are with you guys and the site I shared with you is great for anybody to visit.....God bless

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok....my prayers are with you guys and the site I shared with you is great for anybody to visit.....God bless
Thank you...I was really surprised when I read your answer because a lot of people are argumentative about this. My respect for you just skyrocketed. :) Thank you for being sensitive and caring!

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you...I was really surprised when I read your answer because a lot of people are argumentative about this. My respect for you just skyrocketed. :) Thank you for being sensitive and caring!

Mari. ..thank you ....I have had struggles with depression and anxiety that you would not believe....when I read these posts of God’s children who are in torment—regardless of the cause— my heart just aches for them.let me know if I can be of any help....even if it’s something as simple as keeping my mouth shut....God bless you fine people

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OCD is not a demonic attack. It’s a mental illness. However I agree with Mari. Thank you for being respectful, Blood Blought; most folks are argumentative about it.

Regarding being freed from OCD, it’s a chronic illness that can be managed. That being said, I believe God spoke to me in a similar way to you Keith. He sought me out when I least expected it. That day was definitely life changing. Like you it felt like my body couldn’t contain the joy, the peace, I felt. As if God was taking me in His arms.

The doubts are still there sometimes but nowhere near as severe as they once were.

I believe God has helped me manage my symptoms with a therapist I believe He sent me when I was at my worst and suicidal. ERP has helped me too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Many people hear and feel blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Many people fear they have done so. ( matthew 12:31-32, mark 3:28-30, luke 12:8-10 )
The thoughts that speak against GOD or intently on the Holy Spirit are demonic activity exalting itself over the knowledge of Christ; which we are to cast down in JESUS name. ( 2 corinthians 10:5 )

With MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF PRAYER, FASTING, AND GETTING HANDS LAID ON YOU BY HOLY SPIRIT FILLED PEOPLE they do subside and go away. ( Mark 16:17-18 )

You have to speak over your mind and say that it is sound. ( 2 Timothy 1:7 )
Only the thoughts that you agree to are yours.

Reading Psalms 18 4 times a day out aloud helps.
Immerse yourself in the WORD.
Sleep with christian/gospel music playing in the background.

The Secrets of The Gospel: How to overcome fear of Matt 12:31-32! <--- this link can help

Upvote 0

Celticroots

Jun 2, 2012
✟72,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
People who have OCD have posted replies over and over. It's getting exhausting trying to explain it's an illness. Laying on of hands isn't needed. In fact extreme behaviors like that is why Christians aren't taken seriously. All that does is promote ignorance of mental illnesses like OCD and make Christians afraid of reaching out for help.

Prayer, reciting verses, etc, can become compulsions. And, since compulsions are done to relieve obsessions, they make the mind believe these thoughts are somehow a threat when they aren't.

Upvote 0