How has darwinism contributed to the world?

alexgb00

Jun 24, 2002
Klamath Falls, OR United States
✟1,218.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hello everyone!

My name is Alex. I believe in Creation whole-heartedly, as opposed to many people here who believe in darwin's theory as their religion. Whether you're a Creationist or darwinist, i want to know...

[GLOW=firebrick]What good is the theory of evolution to the world?[/GLOW]
Why are tremendous sums of money being thrown away in the name of evolution?
What has belief in evolution brought about in the past?

I want to see what you think.

Alex

LewisWildermuth

Senior Veteran
May 17, 2002
Bloomington, Illinois
✟11,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmmmm... What has the theory of evolution given me?

A greater appreciation of God's work than I had when I was a anti-evolutionist.

Now I can see why some snakes have leg spurs instead of chalking it up as another of God's ooppses.

Now I can see God as a magestic creator that knew what he was doing instead of some back yard mechanic that had to constantly tinker with his creation because he didn't get it right the first time.

Now the Bible makes so much more sence since I no longer have to try and use it as a science book. Just a how to save one's soul manual.

What has your anti-evolution stand done for you?

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What are these "tremendous sums of money" that are being thrown away "in the name of evolution"?

Also, what about the majority of Christians in the world (although not as many of the Christians in the US) who have assumed evolution to be a correct theory for decades?

The theory of evolution has helped us understand a lot of biology, especially in the area of how we relate to other animals. Most of genetics was built on that foundation, although some of it could stand on its own.

On the other hand... what does any particular belief about how things got to be the way they are ever do for you? It doesn't change how they are - it just changes your understanding of what that means.

Evolution explains why God gave us the same leg joints that cats and dogs have - because we have common ancestry.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by alexgb00
Hello everyone!

My name is Alex. I believe in Creation whole-heartedly, as opposed to many people here who believe in darwin's theory as their religion. Whether you're a Creationist or darwinist, i want to know...

Cogito ergo Darwinium (something like that, anyway)

[GLOW=firebrick]What good is the theory of evolution to the world?[/GLOW]

Better antibiotics.
Disease-resistant crops.
Animals that can produce medicine.
A logical explanation for the fossil record.

I want to see what you think.

I think you are misinformed.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by LewisWildermuth

Lewis, that was an awesome post. :bow: Evolution does not boil down to God vs. atheism, but reality vs. mythology.

I am always heartened when I see Christians who are ardent supporters of evolution (you too, seebs). It gives this atheist a little more hope for religion. :D

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Ray K

I am always heartened when I see Christians who are ardent supporters of evolution (you too, seebs). It gives this atheist a little more hope for religion. :D

I object to being categorized as an "ardent supporter" of evolution. All someone has to do is offer a better theory, and I'm out of here.

Upvote 0
What good is the theory of evolution to the world?

It explains the diversity of life on this planet. I’d say that’s a good thing. Evolutionary concepts have also been important to biomedical industry, computer science, and economics to name a few.

There was this think called Sputnik that the soviets shot into space. Our country wasn’t too happy about that and so the government decided to subsidize science, including biology. I am one of those who benefit from that program. Thank you, tax payers, for funding my study of population genetics and evolution.

The same thing that belief in a sun-centered solar system has done.

Upvote 0

My name is Alex. I believe in Creation whole-heartedly, as opposed to many people here who believe in darwin's theory as their religion. Whether you're a Creationist or darwinist, i want to know...[How has darwinism contributed to the world?]

I'm assuming you want POSITIVE contributions. Okay...

It gives pseudo-intellectuals an excuse to read anything but that boring old Bible.

It sells tons of fantasy books. (See The Blind Watchmaker, everything by Gould, etc.)

It inspired the movie "Inherit the wind" which has about three words in common with the actual events but was a very entertaining anti-Christian movie if you go in for that sort of thing.

It keeps man's imagination in tip top shape, since people have to imagine all sorts of fantastic explanations for all the problems in the evidence. (See punk eek)

Darwinian research has led to some very imaginative and innovative inventions, such as Lucy, Archaeoraptor, talkorigins, etc.

It postulates that primitive ancestor species may coexist with their more advanced counterparts. For example, chimps and humans, Darwinists and Creationists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Originally posted by RufusAtticus
Ahh yes. Abuseively ridicule your opponent and then say you were only kidding. We had a name for kids like you in school.

No doubt they had better reading comprehension than you do. I did post some jabs, and while I was being humorous, I wasn't kidding, and I offer no apologies for that post.

My post about bacteria was an innocuous joke based on merging the previous two items in the list. Since it is microevolution in action, it is beyond me why anyone would interpret that as a jab against evolutionists. But then you folks don't seem to understand any evidence no matter how clear it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by npetreley

No doubt they had better reading comprehension than you do. I did post some jabs, and while I was being humorous, I wasn't kidding, and I offer no apologies for that post.

Then perhaps you should, because you made insulting and false accusations in it.

My post about bacteria was an innocuous joke based on merging the previous two items in the list. Since it is microevolution in action, it is beyond me why anyone would interpret that as a jab against evolutionists. But then you folks don't seem to understand any evidence no matter how clear it is.

And yet, in essence, you accused scientists of being responsible for "worse" strains of bacteria - even though, in the end, those strains are simply about as dangerous as *EVERYTHING* used to be.

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Not responsible for the changes here.
Jun 12, 2002
Nestled in the Gorgeous Montana Mountains
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Now I can see why some snakes have leg spurs instead of chalking it up as another of God's ooppses.

Now I can see God as a magestic creator that knew what he was doing instead of some back yard mechanic that had to constantly tinker with his creation because he didn't get it right the first time.

Now the Bible makes so much more sence since I no longer have to try and use it as a science book. Just a how to save one's soul manual.

What has your anti-evolution stand done for you?

Lewis, now this is just a postulation based on the serpent in the garden but, didn't he walk before the temptation of Eve? This seems to make sense to me that snakes would have walked before and have now devolved to not being able to.

I know this is non-scientific guys so don't jump all over it, but it does make sense Biblically to me.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Lanakila
I know this is non-scientific guys so don't jump all over it, but it does make sense Biblically to me.

As long as you are willing to admit your ideas are non-scientific, than I don't think there is anything for anyone to "jump all over".

If you demand that your non-scientific theories be taught in public schools and universities, however, that would be another matter entirely...

Upvote 0
quote:

My name is Alex. I believe in Creation whole-heartedly, as opposed to many people here who believe in darwin's theory as their religion. Whether you're a Creationist or darwinist, i want to know...[How has darwinism contributed to the world?]

I'm assuming you want POSITIVE contributions. Okay...

It gives pseudo-intellectuals an excuse to read anything but that boring old Bible.

- I don't need a reason to not read the bible other then my belief that it is rubbish.

It sells tons of fantasy books. (See The Blind Watchmaker, everything by Gould, etc.)

- I have never read these books but I suspect much like the Xians vs/ Potter and other novels that your objections to these novels is creationist paranoia and ignorance of facts.

It inspired the movie "Inherit the wind" which has about three words in common with the actual events but was a very entertaining anti-Christian movie if you go in for that sort of thing.

- Have you ever read the transcript of the Scopes monkey trial? I have and this movie is pretty close.

It keeps man's imagination in tip top shape, since people have to imagine all sorts of fantastic explanations for all the problems in the evidence. (See punk eek)

- Please name the problems in the evolutionary FACT.

Darwinian research has led to some very imaginative and innovative inventions, such as Lucy, Archaeoraptor, talkorigins, etc.

- Once again you obviously don't know jack about anthropology or any other real science. Please explain why Lucy and Archaeoraptor are false.

It postulates that primitive ancestor species may coexist with their more advanced counterparts. For example, chimps and humans, Darwinists and Creationists.

- Humans did not evolve from chimps. You seem to enjoy showing everyone how uneducated you really are. Humans and chimps merely have a COMMON ANCESTOR.

Upvote 0
- Once again you obviously don't know jack about anthropology or any other real science. Please explain why Lucy and Archaeoraptor are false.

Archaoraptor was a fraud. You have to learn their techniques: they throw in a grain of truth to add credibility to their arguments and to try to trip you up. You assume they are merely misspelling Archaeopteryx & respond as such, then they come back and 'devastate' you and 'reveal your ignorance' of the 'latest research'...

Upvote 0