• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How has Asperger's helped you serve God?

New_Believer

May 6, 2011
Washington
✟16,144.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Lately I've been thinking about how all humans are born with imperfections and differences. I even started to wonder why God would have made me have Asperger's. It came to me that God made us all a certain way for a reason. Once you become a Christian you actually might find that these differences can be beneficial.

We as Aspies tend to be very passionate people. A lot of people think that our "condition" would hinder our walk with the Lord, but in fact, I think we have many positive traits that help us. Maybe I'm wrong but it's just a theory I have.

I'm not claiming that those with AS are superior; I'm just pointing out qualities of AS that make up for where we lack. This thread also isn't meant to sound boastful. It's just something I thought fellow Aspies might want to hear. Maybe this will make you think of Asperger's Syndrome in a new light.

I've noticed a few of my AS traits that have actually helped me in my relationship with God. The biggest one is that I tend to get interested in one thing and put everything else aside. I've noticed that I'm very persistent in prayer and in studying the Bible because it's what interests me. This is how God wants us to be. He wants us to put Him first, above all other things and people.

The second trait that has benefited me is my love of rules. I like letting God mold me into who He wants me to be because I'm lost without guidance and structure. I also love truth, and God and His word is nothing but truth.

The third trait is actually kind of a paradox. I have a lot of trouble relating to people and relationships. There has actually been some good in this because I don't have a lot of pressure from my peers to go against what God wants me do. Even though it's hard having so many social difficulties, God has filled the loneliness that I used to have. Sometimes it makes me stop and appreciate Him because I remember what state I was in before.

If you want, post any symptoms of AS that has actually strengthened your faith in God.

Autocannibal

May 8, 2011
✟7,679.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One gift that I would say that I have that perhaps others do not is the gift of simplicity. I don't view myself as being a terribly complex person, which allows me to focus on God more.

Also, my bluntness makes it difficult for me to conceal my sinful attitudes from myself. (It still happens, but it doesn't seem to happen as much)

Also, my ignorance of what other people think of me can be a good thing, if I use it the right way: it frees me up to act more truly to myself and what I believe.
(If used wrongly, it can paralyze me into thinking everybody dislikes/doesn't care about me, whether that's true or not)

My heavily logical approach to Scripture, while limited in many aspects [you can have other Christians help you here], does occasionally yield uncommon insights.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to use my gifts to serve others yet, since most traditional Christian service (evangelism, teaching, comforting, counseling, etc.) are very social-based and I'm terrible at them. But in the end, God is the one who acts. He'll find a creative use for me in time.

Upvote 0

New_Believer

May 6, 2011
Washington
✟16,144.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to use my gifts to serve others yet, since most traditional Christian service (evangelism, teaching, comforting, counseling, etc.) are very social-based and I'm terrible at them. But in the end, God is the one who acts. He'll find a creative use for me in time.

Same here. I haven't been able to serve other people except for giving which is something everyone can do.

Upvote 0

Autocannibal

May 8, 2011
✟7,679.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just because everyone can give doesn't mean everyone does; spiritual gifts are not characterized by ability but by action.

Beware the path of comparisons. As someone with Asperger's, it's unlikely that you'll "measure up" to others in church when it comes to "service points" (or, worse yet, "leadership points"). Not everyone in the Bible who had faith became one of Jesus' disciples, but they fulfilled their role faithfully nonetheless.

I'm not saying this is easy; in Jesus' parable in Matthew 25:14-30, it's the servant with the least number of talents (and per verse 15, the one with the least ability) that fails. But ultimately his downfall is bitterness with God, not his lack of talents.

I do not say these things as someone who's very good at following them (I'm very adept at comparison) but as someone who is trying to put these things into practice.

Upvote 0

MoeSzyslak

Sep 1, 2007
✟15,971.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have thought this through for awhile and I honestly can't come up with anything. My relationship with God is largely one sided. Its him helping me to get by.

I remind myself of that Simpsons episode 'Secrets to a successful marriage.' At the end of Homer teaching his marriage class, Marge asks him what is the one thing he can give her that no one else can? And he replies "complete and utter dependence."

Thats what I offer God. Complete and utter dependence.

Reactions: sunsurfkdt
Upvote 0

New_Believer

May 6, 2011
Washington
✟16,144.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
quite honestly, it has actually made it a lot harder for me to serve God. It has put so much confusion inside of me that it makes is so difficult to even comprehend him.

I think a lot of people have that problem. I know I do at times.

Reactions: OneOfTheMany
Upvote 0

C-Man

Apr 12, 2010
Texas
✟9,173.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Asperger's hasn't helped my relationship in the least. In fact, I would say I have a relationship with Jesus Christ in spite of it rather than because of it. It pretty much kills any effort I make to be active in the church. Everything about Christianity ran against the grain of my most basic instincts until Jesus gave me a new heart. Now I just wish He'd give me a new brain, too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Intellectual-Christian

Intellectual Christian Geek
Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
✟7,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Although I admittedly go to a very strange church, my church takes advantage of my aspie tendencies. For example, several people in the church wanted to go into more depth in theology, so I became the leader of the adult study discussing some of the basics. I was able to do that because I had a greater understanding of theology than anyone else in the church (including the pastors).

Also, because of the way I think, I can see where some things aren't getting done at the church and just put myself in there and take care of them.

Being socially awkward is even somewhat of an advantage in evangelism and discipleship at my church, because we tend to attract a lot of socially awkward people. They are much more comfortable around me than they are most NTs because I am at least as awkward as they are. I can sort of relate and can explain things in ways they better appreciate.

But, to be fair, I wouldn't be able to do this at most churches. Most churches I have encountered tend to ignore us awkward individuals and hope we will just stay in the background. So, whenever I move to a new place, I tend to visit smaller, "odd" churches as they tend to be more welcoming to me and more likely to let me get involved according to my unique strengths.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One quality that I think I gain from AS is a full sense of exposure to God (a good thing). I frequently run into Christians who think that no one can see their secret lifestyles, ...even God! That seems foolhardy to me. I know that my thoughts, words & deeds can never be hidden from Him, so I don't even try to do so. Only people who know (or, at least, suspect) they are guilty would even try.

I still make mistakes from time-to-time (and get corrected), but I put everything on the table before Him. This policy, it seems, would make them honest mistakes.

Sexuality & Aspergers seems like such a minefield, sometimes. The extremes are no-brainers, but the line [in sexual ethics] doesn't always seem so clear. :doh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

catzetier

Jul 29, 2011
✟7,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that Aspergers actually drove me to God when I was in my early teens, because at the time I was absolutely desperate for a friend (and not having much/any luck with befriending other humans). If I'd been a really popular person, with... what... sixty best friends or something, perhaps it would have been less desiarble to decide I wanted God. But who knows?

I've been a Christian for a number of years now, and Aspergers is a bit of a pain when I'm in a group or trying to be social. However, it's great for clinging to core Biblical truths and applying them to situations (and I have managed to help guide some others with this)! Guiding myself is more of a nuisance because I keep getting stuck in habitual ruts, but at least I realise they're wrong and am trying to get rid of them. And I have a really great home group that doesn't mind, if there's random conversation before or after, that I sometimes put my nose in a book rather than joining in.

Upvote 0

TheChristianAspie

The Christian Aspie
May 10, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Visit site
✟15,145.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
God has used my Asperger's to actually form a ministry. I have written two books on being a Christian with Asperger's Syndrome - "Fringe: My Life as a Spirit-Filled Christian with Asperger's Syndrome" and "The Christian Aspie: Notes from the Blog."

I also write a blog.

God has used me to not only reach out to others with Asperger's and Autism, but also to their families, friends and caregivers, helping them understand the autistic mind better.

I am so humbled each time I receive an email or comment about how some post or one of my books has touched someone (even NTs). I committed my life to Christ, I am His vessel. I am so grateful that He is using me!

But I tell them, "Those are God's words, I am just holding the pen."

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just accept myself and don't let myself get hurt by what other people tell me because they can't change me.

I don't let other people influence/force me onto "bad" things. Like, most people start partying every weekend at the age of 13/14 here in Sweden and just care about getting drunk, laid and so on. But I never felt that I'd ever want to try getting drunk for several reasons. By being an Asperger, I'm mostly alone sitting at the computer, reading the bible and going to church and so.

I feel that I'm really careful too, sometimes I tend to think deeper in stuff. It can also be bad, because when I would do that in the bible or so, it can only lead to confusion and mean thoughts maybe. I'm very careful about not breaking God's word too.

Made me both stronger and weaker in faith. Because since I'm an asperger I can sometimes be alone, unhappy but thats where Jesus amazing love and peace comes in. I think it makes me more open to him then and more thankful.

I guess most aspergers have been bullied through their school years, and had a rough time (atleast I do/did). And I guess most Aspergers have a low self esteem and lack of true friends, which has led to lack of trust in people and getting new friends. Therefore I need christianity for self-esteem and to realise that "this is who I am, if people can't accept me then so be it". And I found a great place in this church/assembly and feel accepted, many people are ex. alcoholics, drug addicts, smoking addicts, even gang criminals and you name it, they have it.

So as an asperger I feel strenght, joy, everything in Jesus. As a christian, I have good self-esteem now.

As an Asperger, If I put effort and will into studying something and put interest into it I can gain big success in it. I remember what I'm in interested in, for example I loved geography in my younger years and I still know all capitals in Europe and I know stuff about most countries. Now I'm interested in the bible and christian articles and other christian books, that is good. I'm interested in it, then I will remember what the bible have taught me.

I'm sure most aspergers have been bullied alot and so, therefore we fit good in christianity because we build up our self-esteem and find joy there.

We have to tell all Aspergers about christianity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HannahJoy

Aug 15, 2012
✟7,626.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
For me, I almost think my social awkwardness is what keeps me tied to God. He is the only one who has ever understood me, never tried to abuse me, and the only one who has talked to me in a language I understand and I never have to second guess His true intentions! If I did not have God for a friend, encourager, and yes, sometimes an interpreter (though I don't always remember to listen to that internal voice that knows everyone else better then I ever will), I would be at a loss to keep trying or perhaps even find a reason to live! I cannot count the ways in which I'm eternally greatful to have a friend as Him!

Upvote 0

jackmt

Dec 10, 2011
Missoula Montana
✟16,271.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Same here. I haven't been able to serve other people except for giving which is something everyone can do.

Many of my insights into Scripture have helped other Christians in their walk with God. While I cannot evangelize, they can with the insights I have given them. I got a ministry started that was then turned over to someone else who took it ultimately international. I can get things started; just don't ask me to run them.

I have that subtype of AS known as Half-Asperger's. I have a lot of projects started, but few finished.

Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think my aspergers has both helped and harmed my overall relationship with God.
It helped me because I am a very compassionate person at heart. I've always had a desire to explore and discover. recently in the past few years, i've been interested in religion and wanted more meaning in my life. At first I was a bit skeptical about Christianity, but i kept the faith because i knew God exists and my faith grew everyday. Now, I am confident with my faith, but still I may have occasional doubts

Upvote 0
Sep 13, 2012
✟15,126.00
Faith
Christian
The loneliness and the rejection experienced with Aspergers has push me closer to him. It has also given me great empathy for others with disabilities :) Also the Lord understands that because of the condition there are things I can't do so I trust that he will find something that I can do and that I'm good at so I can serve him in that way. After all, all of us anyway whether aspergers or not has different gifts or talents and each of us all has things that we find hard. Aspergers won't get in the way of what the Lord wants you to do for he was the one who gave you it :)

Upvote 0