HIKES CAN TAKE A WALK
Nov 30, 2006
The Island
✟9,895.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Creationists think man was made in God's physical image (but God is not supposed to have a body!) How far does this go? Superficial outside image? Internal organs? GENOME? This would imply God is life and cannot die.

What about God's spiritual image? Unviable as well, as the ability to make rational, long term judgements, one of the few things which I find
distinguish us from other animals, is supposed to be a consequence of original sin. The other, CONSTANT change in behaviour, is not a property of God, who is meant to be immutable.

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think you've accurately represented the beliefs of creationists. Most creationists I know don't believe that God has a physical body (though I admit there are some creationists out there who believe some crazy things). There's not much to be gained from a straw man argument.

Upvote 0

HypnoToad

*croak*
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
✟82,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Creationists think man was made in God's physical image
(emphasis added)

No, creationists don't typically believe that.

What about God's spiritual image? Unviable as well, as the ability to make rational, long term judgements, one of the few things which I find
distinguish us from other animals, is supposed to be a consequence of original sin.
No, there's nothing in Scripture stating or indicating that sin is necessary to make rational decisions.

As the previous poster stated, your post is essentially a strawman that in no way reflects creationism beliefs.

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Creationists think man was made in God's physical image (but God is not supposed to have a body!) How far does this go? Superficial outside image? Internal organs? GENOME? This would imply God is life and cannot die.

distinguish us from other animals, is supposed to be a consequence of original sin. The other, CONSTANT change in behaviour, is not a property of God, who is meant to be immutable.
I would ask what the whole God's image thing says about other apes. They look a lot damn like us. Were they only made kinda sorta in God's image and we're really in God's image?

Upvote 0

FishFace

Senior Veteran
Jan 12, 2007
✟13,130.00
Faith
Atheist
Even a creationist can tell that this part of the absolutely-inerrant-literal-word-of-god is not literal; if we were literally made in the image of God, it would cause them some pretty nasty problems, and they're not so lost that they forge ahead regardless.
Hence it is understood more in a spiritual/mind kind of way, than physically.

Nonetheless, experiments show that we are different to other, "lower" animals only in extent, so we perhaps are to God, what chimps are to us.

Upvote 0

HypnoToad

*croak*
Site Supporter
May 29, 2005
✟82,302.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowingg good and evil.

Knowing good and evil => Making rational decision.
Yeah, see, an equals sign with an arrow doesn't actually demonstrate how sin is required to make rational decisions. Nor does it show how rational decisions were not made before the fall. Your premise also suggests God can not make rational decisions, as He has no sin. That also contradicts Scripture on the nature of God.

I keep hearing creationists say that evolution is wrong because God made humans out of dust in his image
"Out of dust" would be the key against evolution there, not the "image" part.

Also, "what you've heard" doesn't exactly substantiate a claim.

Upvote 0

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Out of dust" would be the key against evolution there, not the "image" part.
Which is definitely an important point as I think I'm pretty safe in saying that ALL christians, not just creationists, believe we are made in God's image.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RecentConvert

Apr 17, 2007
Waterloo, ON
✟7,937.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think you've accurately represented the beliefs of creationists. Most creationists I know don't believe that God has a physical body (though I admit there are some creationists out there who believe some crazy things). There's not much to be gained from a straw man argument.
As the previous poster stated, your post is essentially a strawman that in no way reflects creationism beliefs.

...but strawmen arguments are valid arguments!

Upvote 0

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My point is that knowing good and evil and thus rational, long term decisions, is described as a consequence of the fall.
I don't quite follow your logical link here. How is knowledge of good and evil = ability to make rational, long term decisions?

To give a couple of generic get out answers:
The serpent suggested, and it seems pretty obvious, that God has knowledge of good and evil. Therefore, our eating the fruit is making us more like his image than we were created.

Some christians (myself included) think the fall was something that was meant/bound to happen. This means God meant for us to have the knowledge of good and evil. Whilst it is a consequence of the fall it can't be seen as a bad thing (i.e. a punishment for the fall).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
I dropped the claim.

And you shouldn't have. Though this is off topic you are correct. Knowledge of right and wrong, good and evil is required to make a decision. Adam and Eve before eating of the tree were like babes, with no knowledge of good and evil. Hence they cannot bear any blame for their actions.

Note I make no mention of sin, as it's simply irrelevant.

[/offtopic]

Upvote 0

glo1

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.
Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Adam and Eve before eating of the tree were like babes, with no knowledge of good and evil. Hence they cannot bear any blame for their actions.
And yet that knew right from wrong as far as this: They had been told not to eat from the tree.
Did they not make a decision on that single issue?

(still off topic ... :sorry: )

glo

Upvote 0

uberd00b

The Emperor has no clothes.
Oct 14, 2006
Newcastle, UK
✟22,308.00
Faith
Taoist
Marital Status
Single
Did they not make a decision on that single issue?

I'm not sure how they could have. It's akin to leaving a small crawling baby in a room, then putting your best Ming vase on a rickety table also in the room, wagging your finger at the baby and saying "no touchy table" then going down the pub to get bladdered. You really oughta get that vase insured.

Upvote 0

glo1

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.
Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how they could have. It's akin to leaving a small crawling baby in a room, then putting your best Ming vase on a rickety table also in the room, wagging your finger at the baby and saying "no touchy table" then going down the pub to get bladdered. You really oughta get that vase insured.
I guess I cannot see Adam and Eve in that state of childlike inability ...

glo

Upvote 0