How far do you travel to get to your parish?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It used to take me 45 minutes to go to the nearest orthodox church. That meant I spent the entire morning either going to church or attending services. And I often went to vespers, too, the day before.

That driving time was probably typical for many of the people there.

My current congregation is about a seven to ten minute ride.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Principal Moo

St. Alexius, pray for me!
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2016
Virginian living in Hanoi
✟89,896.00
Country
Viet Nam
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I *wish* I could drive two hours to get to a parish. Sadly, we do not yet have one in Hanoi (or Vietnam for that matter).

On a side note: I'll be traveling to Bangkok next week and plan on attending the Divine Liturgy at St. Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral. I am so excited!

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
14. 5 miles.
It's about 30-35 minutes on typical Sunday morning(s)
an hour on Wednesday nights, longer if were to utilize the Interstate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
We could go 14km to a Russian convent (and sometimes do), or 11km to our nearest Greek parish, but we choose to drive 34km to another Greek parish we call home. Sometimes we drive 20km to another Greek parish.
1.6km = 1 mile

Upvote 0

Hermit76

You can call me Paisios
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
✟291,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I *wish* I could drive two hours to get to a parish. Sadly, we do not yet have one in Hanoi (or Vietnam for that matter).

On a side note: I'll be traveling to Bangkok next week and plan on attending the Divine Liturgy at St. Nicholas Orthodox Cathedral. I am so excited!

This really puts my complaints in a new light. Thank you for your example of faithfulness.

Reactions: Principal Moo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,587.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The first thing I noticed upon visiting an Orthodox church was the out-of-town and out-of-state license plates on cars in the parking lot. My city is situated 40 miles from another state to our east and 60 miles from another state to our north. The parking lot contained many cars from those states as well as from my own. Those of us affiliated with other faith bodies having more available parishes don't realize the sacrifices others make to attend church. I was impressed at the commitment I saw of people willing to travel great distances to worship and be in community with like believers. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0