Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just wondering how far everyone has to go to find fellowship. How far is too far. I would like church can just walk to but just havent found one yet. I mean if my car breaks down it would take me 40 minutes to walk to the one I now attend. I heard some people go all the way across town. Isnt church meant to be in your local area? Like the centre of your town and the whole focal, gathering place of your community?

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
No i mean how far away from your own home/house do you have to travel to find fellowship ie. christian brothers and sisters thats not your immediate family. And some of us dont live in christian homes because our family members are unbelievers.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just wondering how far everyone has to go to find fellowship. How far is too far. I would like church can just walk to but just havent found one yet. I mean if my car breaks down it would take me 40 minutes to walk to the one I now attend. I heard some people go all the way across town. Isnt church meant to be in your local area? Like the centre of your town and the whole focal, gathering place of your community?
I've heard of times and places where the church was the center of the town, as you describe, but I don't live in a setting like that. (I'd be interested to hear from people who do live in that kind of setting.)

I live in a small town that's one of a cluster of small towns, all in the shadow of one of the large cities on the east coast of the US. Like many Americans, while I think it's great if I can walk places, in reality I get to most places in my car. Each of the towns near me has an assortment of churches, one for each of the major denominations: a Presbyterian church, a Methodist church, a Catholic church, an Episcopal church, a Baptist church, maybe a couple of others (Lutheran, Friends, nondenominational, etc.). The church I go to is an Episcopal church a couple of towns over from me, about 15 minutes' drive away. By American standards, that's close. :) Because Americans are used to driving so much, my sense of my local area is anything that's within about 15-20 minutes' drive.

I will add that there's a Presbyterian church in my neighborhood, within easy walking distance. They host a local community/political organization that I attend, so that's a bit of the "gathering place" element you described. But it's not really the focal point of the entire town.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Mines (baptist) 15 minutes away by car also. I also sometimes go to the presy (10 minutes away by car) but that would also take about 40 minutes walking. Up a big hill.

I was going to go the to nearer baptist church (five minutes by car, 20 minutes walking) but at the time God led me somewhere else.

I live in the western suburbs of the biggest city in nz. So..like you my town has many different churches. Its hard to know which one to go to sometimes i thouhgt wouldnt it be easier to just go to one..if it was the only one you had no choice lol.

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The closest church to me is about 2 minutes by car...so probably about a 10-15 minute walk. But the church we attend is about a 10 minute car ride. We're currently going to a nondenominational church...the one closest to us is Baptist. I live in Alabama, so you don't have to go very far to find a church in my town...and they're mostly Baptist. I counted one day, from my house to the church we attend...which is about 7 miles away we pass 8 other churches...seems pretty excessive, when you consider the fact that we're not a big town...

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟938,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I bought a home in this neighborhood because it was less than a mile to my church and several members lived in the neighborhood. Years later, I left that church and denomination. I now drive about four miles to church. There is an Episcopal church closer to me than the one I go to, but the one I prefer is more distant.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think theres at least a dozen churches in my local town/area i havent been to all of them...but the churches ive attended only ever knew one person who lived in my street who went to the same church as me as she flatted there briefly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I live in the way out (on purpose) from a small town. 25 mins by car, If I walked I would miss the morning service and maybe make it for the evening prayer meeting. The town is small, population 380, I think. Not much of a selection , 1 Catholic, 1 Lutheran, 1 Baptist (which I attend but am not a member).
Thats what I come here for :wave:

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just curious, do you know what church is the most popular? Here I would say the 3 draw about the same number of people, oh I forgot the witnesses has about 4 cars there
That's all gonna depend on your location. Here where I live there are more Baptist churches than any other...the largest congregation here though, is a nondenominational charismatic megachurch that has about 3000 members. But there are well over 100 Baptist churches in a town of about 40,000....this is pretty much status quo for Alabama...by comparison, we have 2 Episcopal, 1 Catholic, 1 Orthodox, 1 Lutheran, and 10 Methodist churches. Not sure of the count on Pentecostal/Charismatic...probably around 20.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Wow, It would be nice to worship with a large congregation once in a while, but I like the closeness of a small church also.
I'm in far, far north MN. A couple hours south of me and farther south in farm and dairy country it is overwhelmingly Catholic, a lot of generational Germans. If you've ever heard the phrase Minnesota nice, hah, not if you are an outsider

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wow, It would be nice to worship with a large congregation once in a while, but I like the closeness of a small church also.
I'm in far, far north MN. A couple hours south of me and farther south in farm and dairy country it is overwhelmingly Catholic, a lot of generational Germans. If you've ever heard the phrase Minnesota nice, hah, not if you are an outsider
I've heard that about Minnesota before.

I've been part of large churches before...they're okay if you're not wanting to do anything but go and worship...I mean, they have ministries you can get involved in, but it seemed that in the couple I went to, unless you were part of the "in" crowd you weren't going to be doing anything in the ministry there. I agree, I like a smaller church...where everyone is more like family. The church we go to has probably about 100 in regular attendance...that's about as big as I like it...anything more I feel like people start getting lost in the crowd.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,446.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I work at one church as a tech guy on Sunday mornings. However, I don't necessarily support the theology of that church. I would be willing to drive 40 minutes (and that might be necessary) to find an agreeable church (more conservative but willing to let me serve despite my divorced/remarried status) that has an evening service my wife and I can attend.

Upvote 0