How exactly does Biden plan to bring "unity"?

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a simple question. In spite of his campaign promise to bring unity, Biden, and many on the left, have said some very divisive things about Trump supporters. Last I heard, there are over 50 million Americans who believe that the election was stolen and Biden is a illegitimate president. So I have a few questions that I honestly don't think Biden can even answer.

1. How exactly do you plan to bring unity to the +50 million Republicans who believe the election was stolen?

2. What actions have you taken to bring unity as of now?

Again, simple questions. Of course I am not expecting Biden to read this forum and answer. But I am interested to hear your thoughts as to how "unity" can be achieved and what that would look like.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm a former Republican who voted for Kasich in the 2016 primary and left when Trump was nominated. IMHO, there are still moderate conservative Republicans out there, Mitt Romney, Charlie Baker of MA, Mike Dewine of Ohio. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if they can bring moderate conservatism back to the forefront of GOP. Biden can hopefully restore some trust in that range of the GOP. Those leaders might be able to bring some sanity back to others. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I was on the far right of the GOP and supported Buchanan. It was only over the years that I loosened up and my own experience of living on welfare during the Great Recession that really moved my view to the left.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I expect that the main path to unity will be President Biden meeting with members of Congress of both parties to work out compromises, so that practical legislation can get passed. As a former senator, the president has friends in the Senate, and he will probably make use of those friendships. There will be some meetings over coffee or beer or golf or whatever, in which members of Congress with multiple viewpoints work out some legislation in which everybody gets maybe 1/2 or 2/3 of what they want.

At least, that's my hope. We'll see if the new president can pull it off.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, I don't know what to do for those who believe the election was stolen. I have an idea about how Congress can be functional again, but I have no idea what to do about the stuff people read on the Internet. :(

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,004,574.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
This is a simple question. In spite of his campaign promise to bring unity, Biden, and many on the left, have said some very divisive things about Trump supporters. Last I heard, there are over 50 million Americans who believe that the election was stolen and Biden is a illegitimate president. So I have a few questions that I honestly don't think Biden can even answer.

1. How exactly do you plan to bring unity to the +50 million Republicans who believe the election was stolen?

Again, simple questions. Of course I am not expecting Biden to read this forum and answer. But I am interested to hear your thoughts as to how "unity" can be achieved and what that would look like.

Every politician elected to office promises to unite the people. Even Trump promised to be the president for all Americans. It's just a cliché, and it never really happens. I wouldn't take it seriously.

Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married

The problem is Biden can't.

A lot of Trump followers have been brainwashed and the hard task is deprogramming these people.

• Agree
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

There will be no unity with those people, ever. They will grow increasingly aggrieved and isolated just as various Christian Right posters in this forum have made plain. There is no point in attempting compromise or even meaningful communication. The country will just have to struggle along with their continuous belligerent opposition. What the outcome will be in the long run is hard to predict but it is unlikely to be pleasant. But I think that the unity Biden wants is more prosaic and involves a certain unity of Republicans and Democrats in Congress to achieve useful legislation. I'm sure that there are private conversations going on now between the more pragmatic members of both parties and the public break between Mitch McConnell and other Republican leaders and the "stolen" crowd is a hopeful sign that a practical working relationship can be achieved.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟923,991.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I'm honestly not sure how you start to build bridges with people who are willing to entertain that you are actually a demon worshiping, pedophile cannibal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm honestly not sure how you start to build bridges with people who are willing to entertain that you are actually a demon worshiping, pedophile cannibal.
You don't. Conservative Evangelicals have burned that bridge and won't allow the construction of another. It was made plain by several posters in the American Politics forum that the only possibility is if we repent and become fundamentalist Evangelicals ourselves.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What a shameful legacy the last president has left for his successor. The only reason they believe this is because they've been lied to for months on end by their president and right wing media. There has been no evidence presented of a stolen election or Biden winning through illegitimate means. The proper thing to do for the sake of national unity would be to at least acknowledge Biden won fair and square.

The courts have spoken, the electors have cast their votes, the votes have been certified, independent agencies headed by Trump appointees have looked into the claims of fraud and found nothing out of the ordinary for any election. Even Trump himself seems to have finally accepted the reality that he lost. If none of this is convincing enough then at some point we have to just accept that nothing will convince these people there was no stolen election and move on past them.

Like I said, a good start would be for the half that haven't moved on from the election to just move on and drop this "stolen election" nonsense and join the rest of the country in bringing the pandemic under control and helping to get the economy going again so we can get our lives back to normal. Those two issues should be of primary concern for every American regardless of party preference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Like another poster said, every president says that, every four years we hear it. In practical terms, Biden will be able to find Republicans in Congress to unify with him on certain items. He also won’t be tweeting out insults to his enemies or making derogatory remarks about half of Americans.

• Agree
Reactions: muichimotsu
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a former Republican who voted for Kasich in the 2016 primary and left when Trump was nominated. IMHO, there are still moderate conservative Republicans out there, Mitt Romney, Charlie Baker of MA, Mike Dewine of Ohio. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if they can bring moderate conservatism back to the forefront of GOP. Biden can hopefully restore some trust in that range of the GOP. Those leaders might be able to bring some sanity back to others. Back in the late 80s and early 90s, I was on the far right of the GOP and supported Buchanan. It was only over the years that I loosened up and my own experience of living on welfare during the Great Recession that really moved my view to the left.
But it doesn't seem as though the majority of Republicans want to go back the the older "more moderate" GOP.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I expect that the main path to unity will be President Biden meeting with members of Congress of both parties to work out compromises, so that practical legislation can get passed. As a former senator, the president has friends in the Senate, and he will probably make use of those friendships. There will be some meetings over coffee or beer or golf or whatever, in which members of Congress with multiple viewpoints work out some legislation in which everybody gets maybe 1/2 or 2/3 of what they want.

At least, that's my hope. We'll see if the new president can pull it off.
Any evidence of him doing any of that during his time in office?

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, I don't know what to do for those who believe the election was stolen. I have an idea about how Congress can be functional again, but I have no idea what to do about the stuff people read on the Internet. :(
Some are calling for mass censorship and re-education (indoctrination camps)...like AOC.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem is Biden can't.

A lot of Trump followers have been brainwashed and the hard task is deprogramming these people.
How do you suggest the "brainwashed" Trump followers become "deprogramed"?

• Useful
Upvote 0