God Return To And Bless America
Mar 10, 2016
Tokyo
✟11,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Thirty-five percent of states have no requirement voters show ID to vote, another 25 percent accept secondary “proof” such as a utility bill to prove residency and who you are. Only 20 percent of states have a strict photo ID requirement to vote.

Beyond not protecting the sanctity of a person’s vote through requiring them to prove they are themselves – hardly a barrier in the 21st century – absentee voting and early voting have made it easier than ever to vote. Too easy, in fact.

To vote absentee used to require providing a verifiable reason you couldn’t vote on Election Day. No more."
Excerpted from TownHall Article:
How Easy Do We Have To Make It To Vote?
Derek Hunter| Mar 20, 2016
http://townhall.com/columnists/dere...w-easy-do-we-have-to-make-it-to-vote-n2136535

I think our politicians should give the electorate more credit. When the vote is so important how can the method to cast one's vote be compromised?
The excuses that some use for showing ID doesn't wash. If we want to keep our Democracy sound we have to keep the vote and the right to vote secure.

Reactions: farout

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think voting should require some effort. You should be able to produce legal ID and proof that you live in the state and are registered. Making it too easy and accessible opens the door for fraud and chaos. It's not asking too much for people to put a bit of effort into voting---if seniors can do it then younger people can easily manage too.

Reactions: farout
Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When more people vote, then Democrats win. When fewer people vote, then Republicans win. This is the genesis of Voter ID laws.

I wonder is this your observation or are there some stats for this?

Upvote 0

PsychoeDial

Mar 10, 2016
Tokyo
✟11,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why, in the 21st century, is there no online voting? Seriously, I don't get .
.-it.
With all the reports of fraud being perpetrated in other strata of society on-line what part can't you get?
Voting on-line? How does one verify the voter is who they say they are in the registration list?

Reactions: Tiny Bible
Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When more people vote, then Democrats win. When fewer people vote, then Republicans win. This is the genesis of Voter ID laws.

It has nothing to do with the outcome but with asking legal citizens to prove that they're registered. Unless Democrats are too dumb to figure out how to get an ID then I don't see the problem. Getting a driver's license and voter ID isn't hard at all. I've lived in four different states and never had any problem obtaining registration. It isn't rocket science.

Reactions: PsychoeDial
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It has nothing to do with the outcome but with asking legal citizens to prove that they're registered. Unless Democrats are too dumb to figure out how to get an ID then I don't see the problem. Getting a driver's license and voter ID isn't hard at all. I've lived in four different states and never had any problem obtaining registration. It isn't rocket science.

for you, perhaps it hasn't been, but when we hear stories of needing IDs only to learn that they are closing many of the offices that issue them, making it harder and harder to obtain them, there is going to be backlash.

these laws are intended for one thing and one thing only, to prevent low-income citizens from voting. there is virtually no problems with voter fraud now that these laws would address.

Reactions: graceandpeace
Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
for you, perhaps it hasn't been, but when we hear stories of needing IDs only to learn that they are closing many of the offices that issue them, making it harder and harder to obtain them, there is going to be backlash.

these laws are intended for one thing and one thing only, to prevent low-income citizens from voting. there is virtually no problems with voter fraud now that these laws would address.

That's nonsense. I've seen plenty of low-income people at the polls. If you're driving a car then you have license, which functions as an ID in most states for voting. Heck, many DMVs will allow you to register to vote when you get your license. It's a simple procedure for those that want it.

The Democrats seem to be fine with corruption and a lack of ID as long as they win. I feel voting is too important of a right to just let anyone stroll in without some proof that they're a legal citizen and reside in that state. If you don't have a driver's license, passport, social security card, voter card or some other legal document then I would find that very suspicious.

Upvote 0

imind

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2005
✟30,062.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's nonsense. I've seen plenty of low-income people at the polls.
this is such a poor argument. just because you experience something where you live, doesn't mean its the same everywhere.

If you're driving a car then you have license, which functions as an ID in most states for voting. Heck, many DMVs will allow you to register to vote when you get your license. It's a simple procedure for those that want it.
driving is not a fundamental right. again, it may be fine where you live, its not the case everywhere.

the problems voter ID laws impose on people are well-documented.
examples...link
In the Texas voter ID litigation, one plaintiff testified that Louisiana wanted to charge him more than $80 for a copy of his birth certificate. Another plaintiff decided against obtaining his birth certificate from New Jersey, because that state wanted a $30 fee he didn’t have.

In Texas, for example, the cost of traveling to the nearest Department of Public Safety office, Texas’ version of the DMV, can be burdensome: Of the 254 counties in Texas, 78 do not have a permanent DPS office. In some communities along the Mexican border, the nearest DPS office is between 100 and 125 miles away. And in rural communities in other states, the DMV offices are few and far between.

more...link
When Thelma Mitchell, a retired state employee, learned that her old employee ID (which was issued by the state and included her photo) wouldn't meet Tennessee's new voter ID law, she went to a motor vehicle office to obtain a valid photo ID. The agency asked her for a birth certificate, but she didn't have one and was denied her request for a new ID.

Mitchell, 93, has never had a birth certificate. She wasn't born in a hospital and was delivered by a midwife, in Alabama in 1918. Birth certificates, particularly for African-Americans in the South, weren't regularly generated at the time. As a result, Mitchell may not be able to vote this year for the first time in decades.

"I got so mad" about being turned away, Mitchell said in an interview. "I was holding my peace to keep from telling him off. So I didn't get to vote."

Another obstacle for Tennessee seniors: The state doesn't put photos on the licenses of drivers over age 65. This practice affects some 30,000 people, according to voting rights advocates in the state.

read more about Florence Hessing and Ruthelle Frank at that same link.
these problems are pervasive and are only getting worse.

The Democrats seem to be fine with corruption and a lack of ID as long as they win. I feel voting is too important of a right to just let anyone stroll in without some proof that they're a legal citizen and reside in that state. If you don't have a driver's license, passport, social security card, voter card or some other legal document then I would find that very suspicious.

blah blah blah the democrats are evil...pfffft, and further response of finding is suspicious only exposes your ignorance of the subject. a simple google search of "people cannot obtain voter IDs" will provide hundreds of reasons preventing people from obtaining ID. from the above link...

By all estimates, those least likely to have a government-issued photo ID fall into one of four categories: the elderly, minorities, the poor and young adults aged 18 to 24. The Brennan Center estimates that 18 percent of all seniors and 25 percent of African-Americans don't have picture IDs.

the stories of about 50 people alone can be found at this link, all detailing the many problems of obtaining these ID. if you read nothing more, read that link and then tell me again how suspicious you are...

Upvote 0

Tiny Bible

All Lives Matter. Pray BLM Learn That.
Jan 3, 2016
whyaskthat
✟19,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Voter ID is necessary. If someone is allowed to vote they should be able to prove it. Just like they prove they're who they say they are when they ask to get a library card, an apartment, a car, cash a check, or anything else that requires self-identification by legal government issued identification.

Reactions: PsychoeDial
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There is no evidence of any significant amount of in-person voter fraud. What Voter ID laws do is that they discourage women, people of color, students, and young people from going to the polls. These groups obviously correspond to groups that the GOP would like to prevent from voting. QED. Voter ID laws are deliberately designed to benefit the Republican party. Don't kid yourselves.

Wanting all voters to vote = Democratic values. Wanting to prevent voters from voting = Republican values.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How Easy Do We Have To Make It To Vote?
If they came to my house with a ballot, pencil and didn't require me to fill out any paperwork, then I would vote. If this doesn't happen then I'm not going to put forth any effort into something meaningless. Even though I personally don't care, I think it would be good to require proper identification to make the election as fair as possible. I don't really see the problem with this because it applies to everybody so there is no advantage.

Upvote 0

PsychoeDial

Mar 10, 2016
Tokyo
✟11,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nay sayers regarding voter fraud are failing to realize, perhaps with intent, that any voter fraud is too much voter fraud.

It's also a falsehood that voter ID laws discourage women, people of color, students, and young people from going to the polls.
Don't kid yourselves.
Women have no problem getting ID cards if they want to open a bank account, turn on utilities, rent an apartment, apply for a loan, drive, apply for a job. People of color aren't exempt from those activities. The poor is another segment of society that nay sayers often put on the spit and rotate for a few turns while saying, voter ID laws disenfranchise the poor! It's not fair to those poor people!
When those poor people, being poor, are typically on public assistance. And this entails having photo ID. So that old excuse doesn't work either.
Voter ID laws don't discourage students. Keyword there being, STUDENT! They already have a photo ID being their in college or university. And of course if they drive they have that license. And young people don't go to the polls in the first place unless they're of voting age. Which is 18. After that, being 18 is also the age to declare oneself a legal adult, teenagers have some sort of photo ID. And for all the aforementioned reasons.
Oh, and if any of those communities mentioned, and those not, expect to fly a commercial airliner they absolutely have a photo ID or they don't even get past ticketing.
They also don't get registered mail at the post office if they can't show proof of identity as the addressee.

Now, with all those areas in secular society where a photo ID is already incorporated into the common everyday activities, because one has to be able to identify themselves even if they don't drive and with a photo ID of some sort should an officer ask for it, which would entail a state issued photo ID, no more ridiculous excuses for why people can't be expected to comply with photo ID requirements at the polls in order to vote. Or, to register in the first place.

Upvote 0