• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

How does the shutdown end?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by evoeth, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Trump caves and signs a budget - nominal or wall funding < $2.5b

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Trump gets concessions for wall funding > $2.5b

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  3. Trump gets bypassed with veto proof majorities

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Trump resigns/impeached

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Other (post!)

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  1. evoeth

evoeth Man trying to figure things out

+1,139
    Atheist
    Married
    Any more ideas?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+1,385
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Citizenship for dreamers (DACA) in exchange for 5 bil toward Trump’s silly wall. Or Congress beats the veto with majority.

But I don’t think it’s gonna happen for a while.

*edited a typo, changed million to billion

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  3. SkyWriting

SkyWriting The Librarian Supporter

+4,965
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Trump gets full funding and border security decides the best use of the money, including some "wall" or fence.

4. LostMarbels

LostMarbels Follower of Jesus

+1,789
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Others
    I think Trump is trying to pull off a RIF. We will find out after Monday when it has been 30 days and he can legally layoff any federal employees that have not worked in that period of time. There are benefit packages that the employees will receive but basically they will move on to other employment.

This is also why He hasn't reopened the government as Graham had suggested. That would reset the clock Dems are more than happy to allow Trump to draw out; thinking they have him, because he 'owned' it.

My guess.

5. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+5,701
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    You missed out asteroid strike.

6. com7fy8

com7fy8 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,712
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Maybe you want to edit this??

I have no idea what RIF means. I will try to look it up. Not all of us are experts on the subject.

I think you mean Donald could be trying to trim the budget by removing some number of federal employees he considers not to be necessary. He made the remark, once, that by holding him up, the Democrats are only hurting people who are Democrats. I am not saying this is correct, but he said it. He could later claim that the shutdown helped to remove employees who had been coasting in unnecessary jobs created by the previous Democratic operations. And so, he might say, yes I did drain the swamp.

Using anything for his purpose.

Is this what you mean? In any case, let me go try to find "RIP" . . . oops . . . "RIF". Or, do you mean "RIP" for pork jobs????

7. Phil.Stein

Phil.Stein Member

+190
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Those demmies are gonna cave. Or go hungry for costing the nation. Their call.

Perhaps Trump should agree to pay the unneeded government workers, on condition they build the wall themselves before returning to their non-essential duties?

8. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+6,815
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    The Senate relents and allows a resolution bill to go to the President, who won't sign it, and is over rode by a sufficient majority. It's the only way.

9. hislegacy

hislegacy This is me.

+6,607
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Nancy and Schumer feel the heat for not wanting to negotiate and cave.
    Nancy and Schumer begin to take heat rom their constants and give the President what they previously agreed to
    Nancy and Schumer get so many phone calls they have to go back to negotiations
    Nancy and Schumer get voted out

There are a few you missed:

10. mark kennedy

mark kennedy Natura non facit saltum Supporter

+6,815
    Calvinist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    They are winning this political battle in a big way.
    Trump makes agreements and then reneges repeatedly, he seems fond of doing it during budget negotiations.
    That result in bipartisan support that won't get through the Senate.
    I won't hold my breath.
    You got to be putting us on.

11. com7fy8

+2,712
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Hmm . . . remove people from pork jobs and have them build the wall.

The money saved on ending Porky's stuff might be enough to pay for the wall????

Instead of sitting and doing nothing at a desk . . . which ones have been known for doing, even in educational specialities, they could get exercise while working on the wall and not have to pay for gym fees.

12. camille70

camille70 Newbie Supporter

+2,402
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I don't think this happens while he is being influenced by Stephen Miller.

13. gym_class_hero

gym_class_hero Well-Known Member

+647
    Christian
    Married
    it will end when the airports are shut down due to workers not coming in and travel grinds to a halt.

14. cow451

cow451 Individual-2 Supporter

+10,777
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Others
    Trump agrees to reopen government implying he is accepting Congressional deal. Then he declares National Emergency, gets bogged down in court. Trump blames dems. Announces North Korea is nuke free, has another summit with Un. Mueller report comes out, Trump declares martial law because North Korea fires missile into the Ocean and China declares ownership of the dark side of the moon.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  15. com7fy8

+2,712
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I find it interesting that it is claimed that only essential workers will get paid. Yet, they do not pay airport security workers???? But they expect them to work.

And there is an issue of airplane safety inspections getting done right. But those personnel are not paid. So, keeping planes from crashing is not essential enough to make sure those government inspection workers get paid.

But it is reported that airlines take their own responsibility to inspect their own planes. But it is a concern how much they could get slack if federal inspectors are not staying on their cases.

And how this is effecting Native American people is not getting much attention. I am concerned about if reporting can be cherry picking for the sake of what could effect the most voters.

Certain reporting people maybe are hoping we will get the drift that Donald is to be blamed for it all, though they might not openly say this is what they want us to see. Meanwhile, others might be so sure everyone with a brain will see how it's the Democrats who are wrong.

When parents are divorcing, each can be so busy with showing the children how the other one is wrong, but it can be that both parents are wrong . . . somehow, at least. And loving both of them is right :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. evoeth

evoeth Man trying to figure things out

+1,139
    Atheist
    Married
    "Trump gets concessions for wall funding > $2.5b" has exactly one vote at this time yet three trump supporters have responded with comments saying the Dems will cave. So now we know only one out of four conservatives on this site actually understands what the word "concessions" means.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+5,883
    Agnostic
    Married

I don't think anyone is getting paid. Essential workers are being required to work without compensation.

18. Paulos23

Paulos23 Never tell me the odds!

+1,075
    United States
    Atheist
    Married
    US-Others
    I was going to change my vote to Donald getting impeached, but I think this will end before those proceedings begin.

19. loveofourlord

loveofourlord Newbie

+975
    Christian
    Private
    what you talking about, if anyone will be it's the republicans, all polls show people blame the republicans, and ironicly even trumps own base is slowing being eroded away on this.

20. Belk

Belk Senior Member

+5,883
    Agnostic
    Married
    Since the shutdown is hitting his base the most I'm surprised his support is not eroding at a faster pace.