Not open for further replies.

SharonHolly777

Sep 8, 2006
✟15,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While talking to my young brother in-law (19),an argument arose because he was so unwilling to accept that god created man first, and the story of adam and eve etc..
He continuously told me that man evolved, and there is a huge amount of evidence supporting this, such as many different stages of the what he called 'hommin' (??) species that have been discovered all over the world. At first it went all over my head, probably because i was so furious that he was telling me that what i believe in is false, but later on i thought about it.. how can the bible explain all these evolving forms of humans being discovered around the world? thank you, and god bless.. i also have another question about the ark..( which my brother in-law also posed, which i cannot answer)

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,618.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
While talking to my young brother in-law (19),an argument arose because he was so unwilling to accept that god created man first, and the story of adam and eve etc..
He continuously told me that man evolved, and there is a huge amount of evidence supporting this, such as many different stages of the what he called 'hommin' (??) species that have been discovered all over the world. At first it went all over my head, probably because i was so furious that he was telling me that what i believe in is false, but later on i thought about it.. how can the bible explain all these evolving forms of humans being discovered around the world? thank you, and god bless.. i also have another question about the ark..( which my brother in-law also posed, which i cannot answer)

Techically speaking your brother in-law is right. There are lots of bones well dated that can help to trace a evolution of the man.
We know for sure that gruops of hominides on two million of years ago used tools and weapons, and that the fire was used by hominides living 1 million of years ago.

That on a biologic field, and this do not creates any problem for our faith, because it was always God who decided the rules of evolution and took care of it.

A theological little more difficoult point is to state which were the first hominides with a 'soul': we shall believe that God choosen two hominides and blowed in them the soul/spirit.

That could be, and science cannot deny it, while some genetic researches have pointed out that the whole manking cames from a very few women an about 150.000 years ago

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
The Bible doesn't discredit evolution, but then evolution doesn't discredit the Bible either. It just discredits a particular minority interpretation of the Bible. The Bible was never intended to be a science book, or to say anything about how the universe was created. It just tells us who created it.

Upvote 0

SharonHolly777

Sep 8, 2006
✟15,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A theological little more difficoult point is to state which were the first hominides with a 'soul': we shall believe that God choosen two hominides and blowed in them the soul/spirit.

I am a little confused here.. i think that what you have just said contradicts the story of adam and eve.. the bible states they were the first Humans.. are you saying that adam and ever were pre-evolved forms of humans? and that if they were there were others like them but htey had souls? so confusing

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
the bible states they were the first Humans

It doesn't say anything of the sort. Remember, the Old Testament was written in Hebrew, a language very different from English. It was also never intended to say anything in a scientific manner. Through its stories, myths, poems, wisdom literature, prophecies and yes, through the parts that were intended to be historical, it tells the story of salvation.

Parts of the Bible were intended to be historical; but the early chapters of Genesis were not intended to be historical. They were intended to be stories with deep theological truths in them.

Upvote 0

a_ntv

Ens Liturgicum
Apr 21, 2006
✟35,618.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I am a little confused here.. i think that what you have just said contradicts the story of adam and eve.. the bible states they were the first Humans.. are you saying that adam and ever were pre-evolved forms of humans? and that if they were there were others like them but htey had souls? so confusing

IMO adam and eve were born phisically of hominides, but God blowed in them and they becamed the first Man, completed of spirit/soul. IMO

Upvote 0

picnic

Veteran
Jun 20, 2006
UK
✟9,362.00
Faith
Calvinist
SharonHolly777, it sounds to me that you've always believed in a literal interpretation of the early chapters of Genesis and not really questioned it ever. Christians have a variety of views. Some believe in the literal interpretation, others believe its not meant to be taken literally but is a metaphorical story which tells us about man and his relation to God. I think it would be an idea to acquaint yourself with various different viewpoints and look at evolution from the science side of things.

Picnic

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SharonHolly777 said:
the bible states they were the first Humans
artybloke said:
It doesn't say anything of the sort.
Technically, Paul calls Adam the 'first man', but then he goes on and calls Jesus 'the second man', so Paul is probably not talking in any strictly literal sense.

1Co 15:47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
how can the bible explain all these evolving forms of humans being discovered around the world?
Evolution is a pretty complex scientific theory. Evolutionists do not understand the theory very well, and they do not agree among themselves about.

GAP theology is a ruin reconstruction theory, they try to explain the explosions and the extinctions that we see in the fossil record.

Francis Collins in his book "The Language of God" says (it is) "possible for the scientist-believer to be intellectually fulfilled and spiritually alive, both worshiping God and using the tools of science to uncover some of the awesome mysteries of His creation".

So there really is no conflict between the Bible and Science. Some things are just more difficult to understand than others because people try to make them to complicated.

Luke 18:17
Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Techically speaking your brother in-law is right. There are lots of bones

A lot of those bones have teeth marks on them from animals fighting over them. There is no reason for people to keep fighting over them today :)

We live in a fallen would, but God is doing a work to redeem and to restore the world we live in.

Isaiah 11:6
"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb,
The leopard shall lie down with the young goat,
The calf and the young lion and the fatling together;
And a little child shall lead them.

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Welcome to OT! You're going to find pretty strange specimens and hear lots of new words being thrown around here. Do look around, don't be scared by funny long words, and devote a bit of time to reading up on the issues.

Your brother-in-law has raised a very good point. The Bible seems to have been written to some people who had no problem thinking that the Earth was pretty recently created. They appear to talk about the sun running across the sky or stopping still in the sky, or about the Earth resting on pillars, or other such things. How is this supposed to make sense to us? We can't jolly well believe that the Earth isn't billions of years old, can we, or that evolution didn't happen? If the Bible tells us that the earth is just 6,000 years old, isn't it getting a little primitive?

There are three basic ways to approach the issue. The first is to chuck the Bible out altogether. Many people do just that upon first thought. But that's not an option for us. :)

The second is to say that "Yes, we can believe that the earth is only about 6,000 years old, that man was not evolved but was supernaturally created, and that the evolutionists are all wrong when it comes to the question of where we came from. Therefore we can believe the Bible on everything, including when it says that the Earth is young." These people are known here as Young Earth Creationists (YECs), with other variations being OEC (Old Earth Creationists) and Gap Theorists. The problem is that the scientific evidence they cite may not be very convincing, especially when compared to what experts in the field say, and thus it will earn you instant skepticism especially from more scientifically-inclined people. However, their position is quite easy to grasp, even though I find it scientifically inaccurate.

The third option is to dig deep and ask "What is the Bible really trying to say when it talks about a young earth and a supernatural creation? Is it really describing events that actually occurred - or is it trying to make a theological point to people who didn't know enough science to grasp the full picture?" Most of the people here are labeled Theistic Evolutionists (TEs), which really means that they are quite sure that evolution really happened, but at the same time don't think that it poses a problem for God and the Bible. At first glance it seems like we've compromised what the Bible is actually saying in favour of science. (You can tell what I hold to ;)) But we do have sound theological reasons for believing what we believe. It can be a bit difficult to grasp but I would say that it's worth the effort.

Anyways, continue to hold fast to your faith as you explore the issue of origins theology ... and remember that we don't bite! Feel free to PM if there's anything you feel too afraid to ask in public. God bless!

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Evolution is a pretty complex scientific theory. Evolutionists do not understand the theory very well, and they do not agree among themselves about.
The above is completely incorrect. We both understand the theory very well and agree amongst ourselves on what it is.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I actually feel pretty badly for the OP.
It was posted somewhere else and moved here. I would feel like a bleeding fish thrown into a tank of sharks...*grin*

The OP is obviously YECist and has never heard any alternative.

You will have to do some self study and reading if you want to understand your BinL who knows things that you do not.

First, you are a young earth creationist. The "best" example of people who believe like you do is answers in genesis. meet these folks at:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/

for an excellent description of the various positions read:
http://www.calvin.edu/~lhaarsma/week6.html

i reference this particular site:
http://www.calvin.edu/~lhaarsma/greentree.html

the greentree lectures because it is perhaps one of the best introductions to the discussion. There is a clear path to learning, first week 6, then the summary pages they posted to the net, then request the entire transcript from the authors.

we have to figure out some way not to gang up on the weaker people who pop into here. it really must be a difficult mental adjustment and i understand why most don't come back.

we really ought to act friendly so that there is more bait in the water (chummy) so to speak *grin* for those really hungry sharks here.

Upvote 0

SharonHolly777

Sep 8, 2006
✟15,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 18:17
Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it."

Thank you for that incredibly random passage..
I was raised in a family of non-believers, and it was not until my late teens that i found faith in christ. Is this your personal opinion, or did you just put this passage in for that sake of it..;) And what are you meaning by it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

picnic

Veteran
Jun 20, 2006
UK
✟9,362.00
Faith
Calvinist
It might help us if you clarify your beliefs about the creation of the Earth so we don't make wrong assumptions.

I don't think RMwilliams was trying to be creepy. He was making a valid poing about the origins forums being full of heated debate with YECers and TEers almost at each others throats.

Try not to be too judgemental on the basis of one post and that goes for all of us here.

Picnic

Upvote 0

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.