How does Paganism work?

pete5

Apr 11, 2003
Wollongong
Visit site
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
It seems to me that Paganism is a DIY religion for spiritually minded people, like a sort of religious choose-your-own-adventure, and I am becoming very curious about what it really entails.

I am aware that one of the basic beliefs is that "every path leads to the divine" but I am sure that most pagans also believe that some paths are going to get there much quicker, like a sort of "all paths are equal, but some are more equal than others" kind of thing.

Is the main drive in Paganism trying to get to the Divine via the fastest route?

Please don't turn this into a right or wrong debate, but I would really love to hear from Pagan's about how they understand the idea of different paths, and how that understanding is influencing their spiritual journey.

I found these forums through a google search (for something entirely different--some of the current topics had the keywords I was looking for) and since I know something about the subject, I figured I'd register & answer.

First--paganism is not "a religion." It's a broad term covering dozens, maybe hundreds of religions. However, what you're probably referring to is the group of Wiccan/wiccanesque/new-age/goddess spirituality/other religious witchcraft/etc. religions; they're what gets the media attention as "paganism." (Very few people include Hindus when they talk about modern paganism, and even fewer are referring to indigenous tribal religions--even the ones that are still practiced.)

There is a strong DIY approach to most modern american paganism. These are personal paths; there's no guide book. However, some people & groups have taken this individuality to extremes--they claim that there's no differences between the spiritualities of the various religions, and that any approach whatsoever can get you to the same end place. Some of us are annoyed at this; many of them didn't start as "just find whatever approach to spirituality you like" any more than Christianity started as "attend church every Sunday and you'll be saved."

I do have to say that most of the annoyance is over labels, rather than the actual practices. If someone thinks that singing along with Madonna songs while drunk on absinthe is the peak of spirituality, that's fine with me, and she might even be right...but that doesn't mean she's practicing Wicca.

I firmly believe that *not* every path leads to the divine. (Or at least, not in any sense that is relevant to the rest of us.) And I've noticed that the people who do claim to believe that, still get very upset when others point out the inconsistencies in their stated paths.

>>Is the main drive in Paganism trying to get to the Divine via the fastest route?<<

For some, sure. But many types of paganism take years of dedication & study & spiritual practice, and they make it clear to newcomers that there aren't any easy shortcuts. For other types, "get to the Divine" isn't exactly a goal at all; there's nothing they focus on that they'd describe that way.

I'm happy to go into some detail about any of the forms of Paganism I'm familiar with, but I have no idea what kind of knowledge you already have (or don't have), and wouldn't know where to start.

Upvote 0

PistGurl

aahhh.....I love her>
Dec 30, 2003
Sheffield
✟519.00
Faith
Pagan
Elfwreck said:
"get to the Divine" isn't exactly a goal at all; there's nothing they focus on that they'd describe that way.

Yes, What I believe is that the Goddess is inside us in some small way, and we get reincarnated after death, so really, I don't think I should 'get to the divine'. I think we should become close with Her and make contact with Her but we shouldn't aim to actually be with Her as that wuld be saying I'm a deity!

Blessed Be xx :kiss:

Upvote 0

Heathen Dawn

Gesta Dei per Francos
Aug 13, 2003
Israel
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
pete5 said:
It seems to me that Paganism is a DIY religion for spiritually minded people, like a sort of religious choose-your-own-adventure, and I am becoming very curious about what it really entails.

It&#8217;s DIY in that you choose who/what you worship. Some of the pagan paths are well-trodden (well-established, complete with precise rituals), but choosing which one is a DIY job.

Is the main drive in Paganism trying to get to the Divine via the fastest route?

IMO the main drive in paganism is trying to get to the Divine in the way that suits you best. We don&#8217;t deny Christians and Muslims their right to say their religions bring them to the Divine, we just say these are not the only ways (contrast the Bible in John 14:6 or the Qur&#8217;an in 3:85).

Blessed be.

Upvote 0

Smilin

Spirit of the Wolf
Jun 18, 2002
Appalachia, The Trail of Tears
Visit site
✟15,906.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Arikay said:
As Elf said, "paganism" is a very broad term, I would say broader than "abrahamic religion." The abrahamic religions include Jewish, christian and islam, all different, yet they fall under the same category.
True, paganism covers every religion that didn't descend
from Abraham. Every religion lumped under the title
'pagan' is unique unto itself.

Upvote 0

Kira Faye

Spiritualist Witch
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
✟1,172.00
Faith
Pagan
hhhmmm I'm not the most knowledgable person here adn I am finding it fun to learn more, but I also believe we want to be one with the divine.......but we would all do it differently and see ti differently, one would want more spirtual contact and believes the divine is in the heart and just wants to get closer and one wants to ge with the divine, I think they are pretty close to the same thing in the end just different ways of eople precieving them, thats why there are many roots in alot of pagan religions becasue one way my nto suitr everyone so there is another way to the same truth.... the same for alll religions.

Upvote 0

Heathen Dawn

Gesta Dei per Francos
Aug 13, 2003
Israel
Visit site
✟1,922.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Smilin said:
True, paganism covers every religion that didn't descend
from Abraham. Every religion lumped under the title
'pagan' is unique unto itself.

I disagree with that. I don&#8217;t regard any monotheism as pagan. Sikhism and Baha&#8217;ism are non-Abrahamic, but they&#8217;re not pagan either, they&#8217;re monotheisms. IMHO paganism involves either polytheism or nature worship or both.

Upvote 0

Mylinkay Asdara

Voice of Li'Adan
Sep 25, 2003
Visit site
✟2,068.00
Faith
Pagan
Regardless, there are several on going discussions about paganism and wicca (a large and popular religion under the umbrella of paganism) on these boards.

As for

I don't think anyone is getting to the Divine faster than the next person :)

Upvote 0