How does one repent...? Can one fully repent 100% and maintain it in this world...?

Thomas1987

Feb 4, 2018
Ivano-Frankivsk
✟10,352.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does one repent...? Can one fully repent 100% and maintain it in this world...? (be a sinless one) (and what does that look like...?)

What do we need to repent of...? Does your definition of repent fit my definition of repent, cause repentance can mean just a change of mind...? How can a man judge that...?

Are there steps and stages to repentance?, or do people differ from one another, each with it's own unique and different abilities/inabilities, and different strengths and weaknesses...? Are people equal...?

I don't do nearly as much bad and evil as I used to, but I cannot claim to be fully there yet either...

I would like some power over certain kinds of sins right now, why I started this thread:

What are the right ways or methods for dealing with and getting away from and out of sin...?

Anyhow,

Comments...?

God Bless!

I got recently healed from inappropriate content so yes you can it's work in progress through your whole life .

In my situation i was struggling and praying and nothing happend within 9 months then just one day it changed 180 degree that i even stopped counting days since i got off to inappropriate content cuz i don't know when . I just had to do one thing and after that God was literally right there .

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Q1: ...How does one "repent"...?
A1: Spiritually turn away from sinful self and toward God's CALLING / DRAWING.

Q2: ...Can one fully repent 100% and maintain it in this world...?
A2: No. The sin nature of Man survives the Salvation Event and persists during the Sanctification Process.
1 John 1

OT:

Number 23:19
“God is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should repent;
Has He said, and will He not do it?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

"that He should repent;" ...Hebrews 5162...nacham...
to be sorry, console oneself, regret, comfort, be comforted

"to repent."...Hebrews 7725...shuwb...to return, turn back

NT:

Matthew 3:2; 4:17 ; Mark 1:15
Repent, for the "kingdom of heaven" (God) is at hand.” (Jesus the Divine Messiah has come!...good news!)

"Repent,...Greek 3340...metanoeo...to change one's mind / to change one's mind for the better; heartily to amend with abhorrence one's past sins

Repentance (metanoia, 'change of mind') involves a turning with contrition from sin to God;
the repentant sinner is in the proper condition to ACCEPT the divine forgiveness." (SALVATION)

To Me, repent simply means: RE-THINK...spiritually turning to God when He calls / draws you.

Repentance in context has TWO meanings:

1. repent UNTO salvation...God calls/draws you to Him from sinful self...turning to God to ACCEPT THE GIFT!

e.g. Jesus preached:

Mark 1 (NASB)...Jesus Preaches in Galilee
14 Now after John (the Baptizer) had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee,
preaching the gospel (good news) of God, 15 and saying,
“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; (Jesus the Divine Messiah had come!)
repent AND believe in the "gospel".” (Jesus the Divine Messiah had come!)

Luke 24...Jesus: AFTER The Resurrection
47 and that repentance for (because of?) forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

Romans 2 (NASB)
4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness (GRACE!) of God (the Holy Spirit) LEADS you to repentance?

2 Cor. 7:10
For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret,
leading to salvation, (NOT a condition of!)
but the sorrow of the world produces death.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, (unbelievers?) not wishing for ANY to (spiritually)perish but for ALL to come to repentance.

2 Timothy 2:25
with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, (NOT a condition of!)

2. repent BACK into fellowship after sinning...e.g. The Parable of the Prodigal Son

Luke 15 (NASB)...Jesus and the Parable of "The Lost Coin"
10 In the same way, I tell you,
there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Repentance for believers involves CONFESSION
and claiming cleansing and forgiveness of sins purchased by Jesus' completed work on the Cross.

1 John 1...God Is Light
5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light,
and in Him there is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have FELLOWSHIP with Him and yet walk in the darkness,
we lie and do not PRACTICE the truth;
7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have FELLOWSHIP with "one another", (BELIEVERS) and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess (AGREE WITH GOD ABOUT) our sins,
He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How does one repent...?
I don't feel that one truly repents until they finally let go of this world and embrace the cross.
Can one fully repent 100% and maintain it in this world...? (be a sinless one) (and what does that look like...?)
I'm not asking for you to believe me on this BUT I will relate my experience.

I had a life changing experience before joining the Catholic Church in the early 1980's. I lost my marriage because I was too weak in faith to embrace God's will. (I wanted to do things my way.)

After the marriage ended I was devastated and was on the verge of suicide when I cried out to God and he changed everything. After God showed me my pride and why the marriage ended he spoke and told me to get baptized and fellowship with other Christians, to keep from falling back into my prideful ways.

I was then beset by demons trying to keep me from joining the Church. This went on for a few months while I was attending RCIA classes but before my baptism God gave me a vision where I had chosen Jesus, the Tree of Life.

After I had been baptized I felt the need to repent by being obedient to the 10 Commandments but as I tried this anxious feeling kept arising. I didn't know it then but this was the Holy Spirit telling me that I wasn't doing as God called.

After a few weeks of this I called out to God and suddenly heard a voice saying that he didn't ask me to be perfect and that Jesus had already done that for me. I then saw a vision of the cross and understood that my perfection comes through faith in Jesus and not from trying to obey the Law. I didn't cast my sinful nature upon the cross and picked it up and carry it everywhere.

Some people take this as to think that I am saying that we are not required to do anything but I am not. After we are created new being beings it are supposed to embrace faith and by that we are to surrender to God's Spirit whom we are baptized in. This Spirit lives within us and by allowing that Spirit control God leads us into love and teaches us faith. This Spirit can remove desire which dwells in our spirit to do wrong. Things which once consumed us fade away as we let God work.We are not part of the Law of Moses. We are of the Law of the Spirit imputed with the righteousness of Jesus Christ.

Romans 5:13
For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Upvote 0

Benaiahian Monk

Benaiah “ the Lord builds” 2 Samuel 23:20
Dec 14, 2017
Tappahannock
✟17,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How does one repent...? Can one fully repent 100% and maintain it in this world...? (be a sinless one) (and what does that look like...?)

What do we need to repent of...? Does your definition of repent fit my definition of repent, cause repentance can mean just a change of mind...? How can a man judge that...?

Are there steps and stages to repentance?, or do people differ from one another, each with it's own unique and different abilities/inabilities, and different strengths and weaknesses...? Are people equal...?

I don't do nearly as much bad and evil as I used to, but I cannot claim to be fully there yet either...

I would like some power over certain kinds of sins right now, why I started this thread:

What are the right ways or methods for dealing with and getting away from and out of sin...?

Anyhow,

Comments...?

God Bless!
There many ways to go to the throne of grace .Start by doing this.
Pray without ceasing.
1 Thessalonians 5:17
Go through the praying ACTS
Addoration, Confession,Thanksgiving, Supplication

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Thank You all for your replies, very useful information, thanks, I've read most of them, but not all yet, will try to get back with replies later, just checking in, I guess...?

Thank You all again.

God Bless You All!

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Anyhow,

Comments...?

God Bless!

what do you mean repent 100%, is there a 75% repentance? Can a man be 75% born again? Can you be 67% saved? Can a child come out of a mother's womb 82%?

I don't recall percentages in the bible.

Repenting doesn't mean you are sinless, but that you can be presented sinless through Jesus.That is how we can enter His gates, because no sin can enter there. It can only be done if you have a heart of repentance. The steps are...

1. You have to want God. However that looks like, it could range from " I wonder if there is a God" to " Well God, if you are really out there am I wrong?". But you have to have a desire to go after Him.

2. You have to know you're a sinner and that is hindering you from having a relationship with Him. How would you know that? You conscious would be provoked (by the Holy Spirit), and you are aware that the path you are going is wrong.

3. You have to take action. Usual first steps is to just say im sorry, but thats not when the repentance starts , it start from the heart.Jesus said if you want me, deny yourself, pick up your cross, and follow him. All action, and all rooted from the heart. No one likes to deny theirselves, pick up any burden, and follow others. We want to rule our own world. But a heart of repentance, the fruit of that would be someone who is willing to take the needed action to have a relationship with God.

The end result should be that you are born-again. Just like how a baby don't have to announce by mouth "hey im born" or prove that they have been born..they are just born there's no room for questions, that is how apparent being born-again should be, by the fruits.

So examine yourself. If you did all three, then congrats you're born again. If not, then you may need to reexamine your relationship with God now. At the end of the day, we will battle sin til our last breath. But a heart that is repentant recognizes that God is the one that will get us to endure to the end, and that we have to put our faith in Him. That our sinful state, although sin can never enter His gates and by birth we are damned, that Jesus has dealt with it on our behalf.

It either you're walking in that truth, or not. There is no in-betweens, no loophole, no excuses.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Anyhow,

Comments...?

God Bless!

I came across an excellent teaching on repentance which will help:

PDF version

http://onthewing.org/user/Watson - Repentance - Modern.pdf

YouTube reading

Upvote 0

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Neogaia

Repentance should be part of a deep confession with God. The Lord is looking for us to repent about specific sins in our lives. i.e. not words such as "forgive me for being a bad person". but rather ... "Lord I did this specific thing and i wish to confess it."

True repentance will bring about a changed heart. And a changed heart will bring about a better life.

The answer to your other question ... yes it is possible to walk a straight path with God. Didn't Moses say that ... walk a straight path, do not take one step to the left, or one to the right. But very few people who are Christian - or Jewish - really walk such a path. Generally they do not try, and i cannot recall any Pastor preaching on this topic (and that is over many decades). With the Lord's help, it can be done.

Blessings, Gideon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Neogaia

Repentance should be part of a deep confession with God. The Lord is looking for us to repent about specific sins in our lives. i.e. not words such as "forgive me for being a bad person". but rather ... "Lord I did this specific thing and i wish to confess it."

True repentance will bring about a changed heart. And a changed heart will bring about a better life.

The answer to your other question ... yes it is possible to walk a straight path with God. Didn't Moses say that ... walk a straight path, do not take one step to the left, or one to the right. But very few people who are Christian - or Jewish - really walk such a path. Generally they do not try, and i cannot recall any Pastor preaching on this topic (and that is over many decades). With the Lord's help, it can be done.

Blessings, Gideon

I wonder if I have already repented or not...?

We talk about everything, and I mean everything, stuff I wouldn't tell anyone else...

It took me years of really talking to him this way, before I learned how to hear back from him, but I did it all faithfully...

I level with him, I can hear him now, and sense his presence...

About repentance, I think I've had a change of heart, yet, I still sin...? Woe is me, huh...? I know of not just one but several pivotal points in my life, where I cried out to him, and was expressing and letting go of some residual anger with him also... Where things "changed"...

Things are much different now... My mind has gone through a lot of changes also...

I've been through having it all, to losing it all, almost losing my mind, winding up homeless, in jail twice, and had to climb up out of it, and most of those pivotal moments happened during those times, in like the last seven or eight years of my life up to now...

Before these changes started, I was a JW and thought I was a Christian... I remember when I started to have major differences of opinion with them, right before this all started, and I went on the journey I guess you would say, to become a real Christian, I guess...?

Anyhow, Have I repented...? Went through a lot of changes...? Yet, I still sin... Though perhaps not nearly as much, but if you fail in one area you have failed in them all, in God's eyes...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I said to the devil (when asked) that I showed him the way, the only way, and that is "repentance"... and then Faith in, and for you, submission to Jesus Christ...

Anyhow, then, what does "repentance" mean...? See, questions concerning the details, of something then comes up, the question comes up cause we stay in sin all our lives (here)... Then, the details of well, what is "sin", then comes up, and we start trying to classify sin(s)... To see if we are "guilty"?, I want to laugh sometimes...

Anyway, so are we to sort out the details then...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I said to the devil (when asked) that I showed him the way, the only way, and that is "repentance"... and then Faith in, and for you, submission to Jesus Christ...

Anyhow, then, what does "repentance" mean...? See, questions concerning the details, of something then comes up, the question comes up cause we stay in sin all our lives (here)... Then, the details of well, what is "sin", then comes up, and we start trying to classify sin(s)... To see if we are "guilty"?, I want to laugh sometimes...

Anyway, so are we to sort out the details then...?

God Bless!

Pay a visit to “ get Gods gift.org “ it could give you some insight into your uncertainties.God bless

• Informative
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Repentance for me is a two way street or how you put it. First it´s acknowledging my faults and asking for forgiveness, second it is carrying the things i have done wrong with me in my life everyday and using it to judge other situations. So repentance is not just asking for forgiveness, it is something that lives in my heart till the day i die and that i am obligated to use and work with, this is where and how i learn of my mistakes.
Romans 2 is Paul's every helpful treatise on repentance, which is linked to the very goodness of God (Romans 2.4).

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you want to know what the repentance in the bible results from and looks like, the definition God uses is right here:

2Co 7:9 I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us. 10 For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death. 11 For behold what earnestness this very thing, this godly sorrow, has produced in you: what vindication of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what avenging of wrong! In everything you demonstrated yourselves to be innocent in the matter.

The end result of the "change in mind" is a change of life/change of habitual action. This does not mean that we do not still have battles with sin. Anyone "practicing" a lifestyle of sin is not a Christian though.

Rom 7:14 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. 16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. 17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. 20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.

Even Paul had his battles and his losses. It's not about how many times we fall, it's about how quickly we get up ... repent and change our path. Ultimately success is lengthening the times between failures ... and still getting back up even when we fail at that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I have been informed that true repentance, is a completely changed, fully converted heart, and all else is pretty insignificant and petty...

God Bless!
If you don't have a testimony that you tell others about how...? (Horrible, evil, wicked, lost, whatever) How you "USED TO BE" (past tense) and how you are NOW... Then, you have not repented nor have you been "born again" yet either...

If you think you have been always right and never wrong all your life, then you are delusional and deceived... And also, have not repented, changed any of your ways, nor are born again, or a born again Christian...

If you do, you have, or are in the process of, or are showing signs of repentance...

God Bless!

Upvote 0