How does one repent...? Can one fully repent 100% and maintain it in this world...?

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How does one repent...? Can one fully repent 100% and maintain it in this world...? (be a sinless one) (and what does that look like...?)

What do we need to repent of...? Does your definition of repent fit my definition of repent, cause repentance can mean just a change of mind...? How can a man judge that...?
God Bless!
There are common mistakes people make. Dishonesty is one that tricks many people. It also tempted people to trick others. Finding good information sources is vital to salvation. Giving accurate information to others is important.

Lust has brought down many. It is a great time waster. Idle thoughts of physical pleasure are fruitless. It led people to infidelity, promiscuity, producing birth defective children and abandonment. Lust led to overpopulation and ill planned parenthood. A couple with nine children may not have as much time to train their children as a couple with one child. Avoid inappropriate content and inappropriate contentographic thoughts.

Anger, desire for revenge and retaliation, forgiveness and violence have brought people to an early grave. It split up communities and destroyed cities. Praying for one's neighbors is better than to plot military actions against them.

Too much vain prayer is a sin. Actions speak louder than prayers.

Upvote 0

Reformed2

Supporter
May 4, 2017
Delete
✟69,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This idea that "nobody's perfect" is man's excuse to justify himself by relativity. But, God is not going to line us all up in "amount of sin order" and say--"okay, I'm accepting all these who committed x amount of sins or less". Instead God might say: "What did you do with the new nature I was able to give you--because of My Son's suffering and death to pay for what you had done and therefore enabling me to rebirth you from your state of spiritual death? And what did you do with the Holy Spirit I gave you to be your counselor, comforter, and guide? After all, I said He would lead you into all Truth. And, I said "For if you live after the flesh, you will die; but if you through the Spirit do put to death the deeds of the body, you shall live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. (Rom 8:13-4)

But, that isn't what the Scripture says. Jesus really said: "Be you therefore perfect, even as your Father who is in heaven is perfect." (Matt 5:48) "Every man that has this hope in him purifies himself, even as He is pure.... Whoever abides in Him sins not: whosoever sins has not seen Him, neither knows Him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that does righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous. He that commits sin is of the devil....Whoever is born of God does not sin; for His Seed remains in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever does not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loves not his brother." (select verses from 1 John 3:3-10) And that is only a selection of 1 John, not all of it. There is much more reiteration of this same topic.

Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing? I literally referred to Matthew 5:48 in my post that you are finding fault in. In no way am I advocating sin. My goodness man.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Greek word for "repent" is "metanoia" (noun) and "matanoeo" (verb) you see as defined in the Strongs #3340, 3341: to think differently or afterwards, reconsider. After thought, change of mind. Repentance basically means a "change of mind" and the context must determine what is involved in this change of mind.

Where salvation is in view, repentance actually precedes saving faith in Christ and is not a totally separate act from faith. It is actually the same coin with two sides. Repentance is on one side, what you change your mind about and faith in Christ is on the positive side, the new direction of this change of mind. *Repentance and faith are two sides of the same experience of receiving Christ.

In the context of Luke 13:3, Jesus challenged the people's notion that they were morally superior to those who suffered in such catastrophes. He called all to repent or perish. For some people though, prior to coming to the end result of repentance in receiving salvation (faith in Christ), they must change their minds about other specific things in order to get there.

Repentance, metanoia, focuses on changing one's mind about his previous concept of God (as in Acts 17:30) and disbelief in God or false beliefs (polytheism and idolatry) about God (see 1 Thessalonians 1:9). On the other hand, this change of mind, focuses on the new direction that change about God must ultimately take, namely, trusting in Jesus Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.

Certain people misunderstand the term "repentance" to simply mean "turning from sin" or "completely stop sinning." That is not the Biblical definition of repentance. In the Bible, the word "repent" means to "change your mind." The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions. Acts 26:20 declares, "I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds." This is the fruit of repentance (Matthew 3:8), not the essence of repentance (change of mind). Certain people confuse the "fruit of repentance" with the "essence of repentance" (and also do the same thing with faith) and end up teaching salvation by works.

I have heard certain people say, "If you want to be saved, repent of your sins, turn from your sins." Yet if turning from your sins means to stop sinning, then people can only be saved if they stop sinning. And in that case, it is unlikely that anyone will be saved, since we don't know anyone who has ever "completely stopped sinning."
With repentance unto salvation, it's the "direction" of one's attention that matters. A person of faith may still fall into sins on account of habit and frailty, but unless these trips and falls lead them in the direction back towards sin and away from God, these sins are simply repented of and they do not constitute "sin that leads unto death". (1 John 5:17) It's only when one strays from the narrow way of repentance that leads to Eternal Life that one follows the wide way that leads to perdition, and becomes lost again.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟213,965.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How does one repent...? Can one fully repent 100% and maintain it in this world...? (be a sinless one) (and what does that look like...?)

What do we need to repent of...? Does your definition of repent fit my definition of repent, cause repentance can mean just a change of mind...? How can a man judge that...?

Are there steps and stages to repentance?, or do people differ from one another, each with it's own unique and different abilities/inabilities, and different strengths and weaknesses...? Are people equal...?

I don't do nearly as much bad and evil as I used to, but I cannot claim to be fully there yet either...

I would like some power over certain kinds of sins right now, why I started this thread:

What are the right ways or methods for dealing with and getting away from and out of sin...?

Anyhow,

Comments...?

God Bless!
Hi you can fully repent in spirit which is a willing commitment to seek after God and renounce the sin in your life. But you cannot stop sinning as it is in your DNA until you are raised as promised incorruptible. When you are born again you have been imparted the righteousness of Christ and given His Spirit into your soul. The nature of Adam is also still present and the rest of your life is a battle between the two. Certain sins can are are often overcome 100% but the sin nature is in us still. Paul said he had to die daily. That is the struggle. Sanctification is the process of maturing in the LORD in which you sin less and grow in spiritual maturity and start doing righteous works. 2 Peter 1 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.
10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are common mistakes people make. Dishonesty is one that tricks many people. It also tempted people to trick others. Finding good information sources is vital to salvation. Giving accurate information to others is important.

Lust has brought down many. It is a great time waster. Idle thoughts of physical pleasure are fruitless. It led people to infidelity, promiscuity, producing birth defective children and abandonment. Lust led to overpopulation and ill planned parenthood. A couple with nine children may not have as much time to train their children as a couple with one child. Avoid inappropriate content and inappropriate contentographic thoughts.

Anger, desire for revenge and retaliation, forgiveness and violence have brought people to an early grave. It split up communities and destroyed cities. Praying for one's neighbors is better than to plot military actions against them.

Too much vain prayer is a sin. Actions speak louder than prayers.
This was a pretty productive post until the last statement, which is not specific enough because it presumes that everybody understands what "vain prayer" is. Vain prayer is prayer that is said without the mind and heart attending to the presence of God and to the words being directed from us to Him. When prayer is said with full attention given to God's hearing of it, such prayer is never vain.

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Are there steps and stages to repentance?, or do people differ from one another, each with it's own unique and different abilities/inabilities, and different strengths and weaknesses...? Are people equal...?

I don't do nearly as much bad and evil as I used to, but I cannot claim to be fully there yet either...

I would like some power over certain kinds of sins right now, why I started this thread:

What are the right ways or methods for dealing with and getting away from and out of sin...?

Anyhow,

Comments...?

God Bless!
Repentance Greek Word= metanoia which means an inner change of attitude leading to an outward change of behavior. Hebrews Word (OT): shub= turning away from previous life and the too meaning is to destroy house. Matthew 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits(proof) meet for repentance. 2 Corinthians 7:9-11King James Version (KJV)

9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

10 For godly sorrow (sorry) worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow (sorry) of the world worketh death(we go back to old stuff)

11 (Benefits of repentance) For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter. Comment: repetence changes the mind basicully... you may still sin after but it’s less likely and you feel bad about it and confess whenever it happens. Then the Holy Ghost adds to that by giving one power so not only do you feel a different way towards sin but you have power to avoid it. But if you do sin you can confess and move on

Upvote 0

Soul-searching

Jan 27, 2018
Denmark
✟47,420.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Anyhow,

Comments...?

God Bless!
Repentance for me is a two way street or how you put it. First it´s acknowledging my faults and asking for forgiveness, second it is carrying the things i have done wrong with me in my life everyday and using it to judge other situations. So repentance is not just asking for forgiveness, it is something that lives in my heart till the day i die and that i am obligated to use and work with, this is where and how i learn of my mistakes.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
repetence changes the mid basicully... you may still sin after but it’s less likely and you feel bad about it and confess whenever it happens.

So one of the differences between the saved and unsaved is that the saved, when they sin, they are less likely to feel bad about it, while the unsaved are more likely to feel bad about their sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So one of the differences between the saved and unsaved is that the saved, when they sin, they are less likely to feel bad about it, while the unsaved are more likely to feel bad about their sin?
1 John 2:1 1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: Comment: this verse sums it up but yeah basicully. But you clearly missed part of what I stated which is why I posted this verse. I said one who has repented and has the Holy Ghost as we see in 1 John 2:1 has the ability to not sin so it’s less likely they will. But as the verse shows if one does sin they can confess it and as the definition of repentance shows since one has a changed heart towards sin they will do that. Lastly those who have the Holy Ghost and have repented are able to avoid continuous sin (cause of the whole inward change resulting in outward change thing) (you get guilty of that sin and address it straight up) as we see in 1 John 3 something I forgot to mention

• Informative
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
THe fact you have an alternative proposition is rather obvious though... and I haven’t been on in a bit but I remember disagreeing with you often enough so I’m willing to hear it. If you disagree with me here I’m fine with discussing. But all I did wasn’t base this conclusion on the true meanings of repentance and some bible verses. This isn’t something I just went with in fact I used to have a different perspective. The Bible corrected me though

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
How much of ourselves is it possible to give? 80% maybe 90% How much, do you feel would be enough? maybe 51%?
I don't know. Thankfully, my salvation doesn't depend on what percentage of myself I'm able to give to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
THe fact you have an alternative proposition is rather obvious though... and I haven’t been on in a bit but I remember disagreeing with you often enough so I’m willing to hear it.
I have none. And I dont remember any discourse, as i tend not to personalize words and ideas. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: JESUS=G.O.A.T
Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟60,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have none. And I dont remember any discourse, as i tend not to personalize words and ideas. Thanks for the reply.
No problem and yeah it was a while ago I haven’t been on in a bit. I have a good memory (I’m a poli sci and economics major) and just remember some people on here I don’t hold a grudge though.

• Friendly
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

How does one repent?

By God's power:

2 Timothy 2:25-26
25 in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth,
26 and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

By a sorrowful acknowledgement of one's sinfulness that propels one into humble submission to God:

James 4:8-10
8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.
10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

By a zealous re-orienting of one's thinking and behaviour:

2 Corinthians 7:10-11
10 For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.
11 For behold what earnestness this very thing, this godly sorrow, has produced in you: what vindication of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what longing, what zeal, what avenging of wrong!...

Can one fully repent and maintain that repentance?

Only by God's power given to every believer in the Person of the Holy Spirit.

Philippians 2:13
13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Romans 8:13
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Sinlessness is not possible though a very significant decrease in sin is. As one matures as a follower of Christ, sin should become increasingly the exception rather than the rule in one's life.

Are there steps and stages to repentance?

See above.

do people differ from one another, each with it's own unique and different abilities/inabilities, and different strengths and weaknesses...? Are people equal...?

Insofar as every believer is indwelt by the same Holy Spirit and have equal access to his enabling and transforming power they are equal.

Anyhow...Comments?

I wrote the following for a discipleship class I teach.

Victorious Christian Living

2 Corinthians 10:3-5
3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.
4 For the weapons of our warfare
are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,

For the Christian, there are three basic – and vital - elements to victorious Christian living:

1). The Word of Truth:

Psalms 119:11
11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You!

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV)
16 All Scripture
is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Ephesians 6:17
17 And take...the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

Holy Scripture is vital in the fight against temptation and sin. King David was not mistaken when he drew a direct connection between an intimate knowledge of God's Word and success in avoiding sin. Scripture was Jesus' first line of defense when Satan tempted him in the wilderness (Matt. 4:1-11). Every time he was tempted, Jesus said the same thing: "It is written..." The Word of God tells you what is true about God, about you - and about sin. Scripture exposes Satan's lying temptations for what they are and pierces through them with the truth which sets us free. The Bible is the sole offensive weapon God has given us in the spiritual armor we are to wear each day. We must, if we are to have any victory over the Enemy and the “law of sin in our members” (Ro. 7:23) follow God's commands to memorize His word (Ps. 119:11; Prov. 3:1-3; Col. 3:16a), meditate upon it (Ps. 1; 119:48; Phil. 4:8), and obey it (Matt. 7:21; Ja. 2:26)!

2). The Power of God:

You cannot be "holy as God is holy" in your own strength. In fact, God doesn't want you to try to be holy, He wants you to let Him be holy in and through you. Your job is to get out of His way, to submit to His will and way and be a vessel that He can use (2 Ti. 2:19-21). No amount of Bible memorization or quoting of Scripture in the midst of temptation will help you if you aren't living in full submission to God. Satan and/or the impulses of our own flesh cannot be properly and effectively resisted from a position of independence from God. We must first submit to God and then we are in the right place to resist the devil.

Romans 6:12-13
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield you your members
as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Romans 12:1

1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.

James 4:6-7
6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: "God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble."
7 Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from yo
u.

Christ described being his disciple in terms of a branch on a vine (Jn. 15:4, 5). He said that a branch, so long as it stays connected to the vine, will bear fruit. The branch doesn't have to fight and strain to do so, however; it doesn't grip the vine with all its might and quiver with the strain of sucking the sap out of it; it doesn't work hard to force fruit from itself. No, all that is required of the branch is that it remain in intimate and continual connection with the vine. And as it does, the life-giving, fruit-producing sap of the vine flows into the branch, enlarging it and producing its fruit through the branch.

A believer who is abiding in the Vine, who is living in constant, conscious surrender to, and union with, Christ, is one in whom the flow of the transforming power of God moves unimpeded. Such a person will find victory over sin a natural and inevitable consequence of their submitted communion with God.

3). The Armor of Righteousness:

Sin cuts us off from the power and full fellowship of God. (Ps. 34:16; Isa. 59:2; Ja. 4:4) If you don't keep short accounts with God, you will soon find yourself spiritually weak and easy prey for temptation. When you sin, as soon as you sin, confess it (1Jn. 1:9) and move on. You are running a race of sorts spiritually. Does a runner who wants to finish the race well, perhaps to win it, bemoan his situation and remain down when he has fallen? Absolutely not! There is no time to waste in a race! He gets right back up and continues to run. And so must the believer who has fallen into sin. Consider the apostle Paul's words:

Hebrews 12:1
1 Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Philippians 3:12-14
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing
I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Too often, believers think they must grieve their sin and condemn themselves before God so that He will forgive them; they must show themselves, by the degree of their upset over their sin, worthy of God's forgiveness. But this is to attempt to earn God's forgiveness and thus to contribute to the perfect atoning work of Christ on the cross! Certainly, a believer ought to feel sorrow over their sin (Ja. 4:8-10), but never with the view to making themselves thereby worthy of God's forgiveness. “Jesus paid it all,” the old hymn says; there is nothing that remains for us to do to obtain God's forgiveness. And so, when we sin, we confess it to God so that the forgiveness that is already ours in Christ may be applied to us. Having done so, all that remains is to resume the “race” and “press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

The Bottom Line:

Although there are three factors that have been emphasized as vital to living in victory over sin, they all rest upon what Paul explains in his letter to the Philippians:

It is because the believer has been indwelt by the Holy Spirit and by him made both willing and able to do God's will that the believer hungers for the word of God, and desires to submit to the will and way of God, and is eager to keep short accounts with Him. It is because the believer has been indwelt by the Holy Spirit that these desires may be positively acted upon. The Holy Spirit is the power source of the Christian life, working in and through the believer to fulfill God's will His way. There is, then, no genuinely born-again child of God who cannot live a victorious Christian life. It is their spiritual birthright and ought increasingly to be the daily experience of every true disciple of Christ.

Jude 1:24-25
24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless Before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy,
25 To God our Savior, Who alone is wise,
Be glory and majesty, Dominion and power, Both now and forever. Amen.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Questions:
Why does one repent?
Is it a prerequisite to salvation?
Is it a prerequisite to forgiveness of sin?
Is it a spiritual gift from God?
Sin brings trouble into our lives. That is one reason we repent.

Upvote 0