Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i was in another thread and it appears to me that many here don't even know the bible's definition of a christian!

here's the definition of who a christian is according to scripture:

Romans 8:9(NKJV)
9But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

those who have the indwelling of God's Holy Spirit are His.

a christian!

His "elect"!

so, the question now is, how does one receive God's Holy Spirit?

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i was in another thread and it appears to me that many here don't even know the bible's definition of a christian!

9But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.

a christian!

His "elect"!

Through His saving grace.

lol,... forgive me. I feel like you might be asking for a meal and I just threw you a snack.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
By the laying on of hands, usually at confirmation

:thumbsup:

Acts 8:14-18(KJV)
14Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
17Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

18And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,

Upvote 0

johnford

Mar 22, 2015
✟15,137.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Private

a christian!

His "elect"!

How would you know this?

But you definition of 'Christian' is flawed. This was all thrashed out in the 4th century and we are left what is known as the Nicene Creed which defines who is a Christian, which you might note, includes reference to the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How would you know this?

because i believe what the bible says! :thumbsup:

2 Timothy 3:16(KJV)
16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

I don't see hands mentioned here:

Eph 1:13: In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Or here:

These 4:8: He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.

Reactions: Frogster
Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't see hands mentioned here:

Eph 1:13: In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

how? :scratch:

Or here:

These 4:8: He therefore that despiseth, despiseth not man, but God, who hath also given unto us his holy Spirit.

again,how? :scratch:

oh yeah, acts 8:12-18 tells us! :thumbsup:

also:

2 Timothy 1:6-7(NKJV)
6Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
7For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

and it's also christian doctrine:

Hebrews 6:1-2(NKJV)
1Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,
2of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

all you have to do is believe the bible! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not to argue that point, but that brings to my remembrance the fairy tale books of early childhood. I remember them saying if you wanted to see fairies, all you had to is believe in th e m enough.
Another dimension d ion of that assertion is that it offers immunity for the asserter and total b l same to its victims.

The two verses I offered are written respectively, to every member of each two congregations. So it is a presumption that every one of them had performed the ritual.
Plus, with all due respect, I believe it contradicts this soteriology:

Rom 2:13: (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
[14] For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

The way they are evangelize wouldn't be in the traditional sense, but could be accomplished according to these outlines:
Psalm 19

[1] The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
[2] Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
[3] There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
[4] Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
[5] Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
[6] His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.
[7] The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
[8] The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
[9] The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
[10] More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
[11] Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
[12] Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
[13] Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
[14] Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not to argue that point, but that brings to my remembrance the fairy tale books of early childhood. I remember them saying if you wanted to see fairies, all you had to is believe in th e m enough.
Another dimension d ion of that assertion is that it offers immunity for the asserter and total b l same to its victims.

The two verses I offered are written respectively, to every member of each two congregations. So it is a presumption that every one of them had performed the ritual.
Plus, with all due respect, I believe it contradicts this soteriology:

Rom 2:13: (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
[14] For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Rick, i think that acts 8:12-18 is pretty clear!

those people were baptized in the name of Jesus and didn't received the Holy Spirit until the laying on of the hands!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
:confused:

did you not read acts 8:16!?

I care more about how the Holy Scriptures are proven to be interpreted, not how individuals in and of themselves read them.

That verse in particular is merely taken right out of context.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rick, i think that acts 8:12-18 is pretty clear!

those people were baptized in the name of Jesus and didn't received the Holy Spirit until the laying on of the hands!

I agree they are clear.
They are clearly referring to the gifts that are associated in that context, in use of the phrase "received the Holy Spirit".
Other contexts that are clearly more focused on general soteriology without being in the miraculous break out context of acts, speak of receiving eternal life as having His spirit indwell us:

1Cor 2:13: Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

The clear danger is in literal interpretation of spacial designations regarding the location of an omnipresent person.

So clearly, intimacy of relationship is the issue, not physical location.
Performance of ritual only externalities an already internally made commitment.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

That's a Straw Man reply.

How about addressing his actual argument instead of ignoring it?

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When one is baptized into Christ they are then chrismated and sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit. One is then to live a life in Christ, participating in the life of the Church and the holy sacraments. It is very simple, either you have experienced baptism and chrismation or you haven't.

As per Acts 2:38: And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When one is baptized into Christ they are then chrismated and sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit. One is then to live a life in Christ, participating in the life of the Church and the holy sacraments. It is very simple, either you have experienced baptism and chrismation or you haven't.

As per Acts 2:38: And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Our churches are in agreement. :)

Upvote 0