How does one know if they’re called to preach?

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just a general curiosity, not trying to say I am being called. What types of things did you feel or go through?
I would imagine you might be called to study first. If someone asks for advice and you speak, is that preaching?

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just a general curiosity, not trying to say I am being called. What types of things did you feel or go through?
"..not trying to say I am being called."
----
'The Call to Ministry'
- It might take time..to get more clarity/detail.
- About ministry, training, etc..
---
If you are called to a specific ministry, it will happen/unfold..in His time.
---
Continue to wait on the Lord.
---
More of His wisdom & discernment to you..

Blessings,

Last edited:
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It's unique to everyone but I will give my own story.

When I was called, it was a literal voice. I was at some sort of revival service Union Bible College in Westfield, IN. I was maybe 12 or 13 at the time. The service hadn't even started and I was sitting in the back with my friend who invited me and his friends. All of a sudden I hear my name being called, like how you might hear it when in a crowd. I didn't belong to this congregation or anything as it was a "Friends" congregation. I didn't really know anyone outside of my friend and his parents. I keep hearing my name being called and my friend looks over at me like, "Dude...you ok?" I tell him I keep hearing my name being called. Don't you hear it? He said no. I still continued to hear it. Then I remembered the story of Samuel being called and got up and walked out of the sanctuary and back outside. I remember getting out and walking to a tree and praying "Speak Lord, for your servant is listening". I then heard clear as day "Pastor, Jared. Lead my flock. Preach." At that point, I immediately started diving into the word and it was all I wanted to do, was to become a minister of God's word. How much I understood and how much knowledge I retained was remarkable. I couldn't believe it. Even so...My own stubbornness, temptation and stupidity has gotten in the way over time and I ran from my calling but ultimately, it was always there and the desire never left my heart. I have now enrolled at Regent University and am on my way to getting a degree in Biblical and Theological Studies. I am also serving in my local church and also do one minute bible studies on TikTok lol. That last bit has already seen fruit with bringing people to the Lord...which is way better than any feeling I have ever felt.

TL;DR: I heard a voice give me my calling. I ran. I came to my senses.

Upvote 0

Gary987

Grace to Keep Pace
Jun 3, 2021
Boston
✟10,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So I am not a pastor or a teacher or anything really.

but for whatever reason I have a strange knowledge of the Bible that is not my own. I do not read well I do not pay attention to anything and I have a memory like a sift

I do t pursue anything Even money. I am about as motivated as a slug

But allow my short story

I spent 16 years chasing inappropriate content and women. I was addicted to anything bad. And I was a scoffer of Christians.

I was arrested. Sent to jail and this all happened while I began reading the Bible at home but not really pursuing Christ so to speak.

I didn’t realize I accepted him already. So when I was in prison I wanted to start a Bible study. It was my number 1 ambition but why?

well I tried several times and it was a failure. My unit was full of some pretty hard characters. And I found myself preaching incredible mistruth about god. I wanted people to love Jesus so bad I was twisting the little understanding I had to promote Jesus

Failure.

now fast forward about 1 year of a 5 year sentence. I end up in a new unit. And I have spent about 2 months studying scripture with my new friend before changing units.

well upon changing units I walked in and immediately met the inmate who was running a Bible study. He came to my sell on the 5th day in the unit and said I see you study scripture I said yes. I am trying to understand the Bible.

he came to my cell the next day and said. You know. I don’t know why but I got this letter from someone who left to go upstate “meaning a long term prison sentence “ and in it he mentioned me leaving to go upstate also. And someone needed to continue the Bible study He said it was me. I laughed. And said I do t really understand scripture. He said. Oh no. You do. Why don’t you run it tonight while I observe. The rest was history and I went on to see about 20 men saved. Maybe more.

So with me. It was confirmed to lead the Bible study by another trusted lover of god. No solid answer. But it’s my story

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I am not a pastor or a teacher or anything really.

but for whatever reason I have a strange knowledge of the Bible that is not my own. I do not read well I do not pay attention to anything and I have a memory like a sift

I do t pursue anything Even money. I am about as motivated as a slug

But allow my short story

I spent 16 years chasing inappropriate content and women. I was addicted to anything bad. And I was a scoffer of Christians.

I was arrested. Sent to jail and this all happened while I began reading the Bible at home but not really pursuing Christ so to speak.

I didn’t realize I accepted him already. So when I was in prison I wanted to start a Bible study. It was my number 1 ambition but why?

well I tried several times and it was a failure. My unit was full of some pretty hard characters. And I found myself preaching incredible mistruth about god. I wanted people to love Jesus so bad I was twisting the little understanding I had to promote Jesus

Failure.

now fast forward about 1 year of a 5 year sentence. I end up in a new unit. And I have spent about 2 months studying scripture with my new friend before changing units.

well upon changing units I walked in and immediately met the inmate who was running a Bible study. He came to my sell on the 5th day in the unit and said I see you study scripture I said yes. I am trying to understand the Bible.

he came to my cell the next day and said. You know. I don’t know why but I got this letter from someone who left to go upstate “meaning a long term prison sentence “ and in it he mentioned me leaving to go upstate also. And someone needed to continue the Bible study He said it was me. I laughed. And said I do t really understand scripture. He said. Oh no. You do. Why don’t you run it tonight while I observe. The rest was history and I went on to see about 20 men saved. Maybe more.

So with me. It was confirmed to lead the Bible study by another trusted lover of god. No solid answer. But it’s my story
I lived in the DC metro area for 22 years. I had a night course about the NT at a community college, but dropped out to work extra hours. I kept the text books. One was a Gospel Harmony or Parallel Gospel showing similar Gospel passages side by side. The other is, “Jerusalem in the Time of Jesus,” by Joachim Jeremias. He was a Talmudic scholar studying Jewish records from the first century BC to the third century AD. It helped my understand some about the way the Jews interpreted the Torah and how they practiced their religion. I got involved with an Ancient Near Eastern history and archaeology discussion group online. I visited a theological seminary library as a guest. I learned the Old Testament is too often brutal and unforgiving; part fact and part fiction. This understanding is controversial and brought some hatred upon myself. I looked for salvation in the New Testament. Eventually my health improved. Even when I was poor I was shown God provides.

Reactions: Gary987
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
At first I thought maybe God was asking me to preach occasionally as a lay person (this was common in my church at the time). My minister wasn't supportive or encouraging when I raised it, and I didn't really push, because I wasn't sure or confident about that "nudge."

Later I had an overwhelming experience of vocation. Absolutely unmistakable, overwhelming, life-changing encounter with God, in which I offered my all, and God told me to come and serve him with all that I had. My minister still wasn't really supportive or encouraging, but I had enough confidence this time to move to another church (within the same denomination) and test my vocation there.

I basically went through my church's discernment process (which is lengthy - 18 months or so - and involved) praying that if God didn't want me here, he'd close the door. But the doors kept opening and I was accepted as a candidate for ordination.

My training took six years, and there were definitely hard and painful times during those years. But that initial call moment with God kept me going through all of it. And as I was given opportunities to preach and be involved in ministry in other ways, through that time, others around me were able to recognise and affirm the fruit of what I was doing.

I don't know if that answers some of what you were asking, OP?

Upvote 0

Sidon

May 13, 2021
Florida
✟17,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The person has no "im choosing this for myself" part in this call to the ministry, if its real.

The verse says....>"many are called, but few are chosen".
This means that "if i be lifted up, i will draw all men to myself".....so...there is the "many that are called"....its John 3:16.
The "chosen" are the "set apart" or the "called out"......its the experience of God putting you into a specific ministry.

How do you know?
Because it will be a supernatural experience, and not just one, but a series of confirmations that you will SEE and understand as God calling you.
The call is not proven by a dream, or a "goose bump" feeling when you are emotionally moved when you hear some Missionary preaching on a Sunday, and he's talking about "all the poor children in India that need help".
Thats not the call. Thats just you heart being stirred.
A movie on Netflix can do that to you also.

The "call" is proven by confirmations.
God will confirm He called you by supernatural confirmations that you will receive, if its a true call INTO the work of The Cross.

And i can promise you that God does not call anyone to be a "social justice warrior".

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0