How does one get started in administrative ministry work?

rejoiceinfaith

Aug 3, 2018
Southeast
✟13,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I feel called to do some kind of ministry work but do not know where to start. I'm an older female seeking a support staff position. I spent most of my career in human resources management and have strong administrative and writing skills. Can anyone advise me on how to get started? Is there a website for ministry positions? I've heard many of these positions aren't posted so I'm not sure of the best approach.

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I feel called to do some kind of ministry work but do not know where to start. I'm an older female seeking a support staff position. I spent most of my career in human resources management and have strong administrative and writing skills. Can anyone advise me on how to get started? Is there a website for ministry positions? I've heard many of these positions aren't posted so I'm not sure of the best approach.

I believe most churches prefer to hire from within - people who already attend - or people recommended by people who already attend.

I think if I were in your shoes I would select a number of larger churches in your area that you would feel comfortable attending, and then send a brief resume along with a brief cover letter expressing your desire and reasons why you feel you would be a good fit for that specific church.

Be open to volunteer work to start. Or pick a church and start volunteering with the hope of one day joining the staff. I'm suggesting larger churches because that is where there will be more opportunity.

I work at a medium size church (about 1,500 congregation) and the turn over in our office staff is fairly high. We have a position right now for the lead pastor's assistant. Sounds like you'd be perfect, but you'll need to commute to California.

Upvote 0